Sign in to follow this  
st27

Random thoughts

Every summer, there are calls for mandatory wearing of life jackets [pfd] while boating. So if I want to take a swim off my boat, can i take off my pfd without breaking the law?? [ have lived on the river all my life, don't want to be mandated to wear a lifejacket to go for a swim!!]

It’s mandatory to have them available in the boat. Have never read where it says they have to be worn.  ( Ontario  )

It doesn’t .... but every summer when people drown, who don’t know how swim and shouldn’t be near the water...the opp and safety advocates start to make overtures about mandatory wearing of pfd’s.

9 hours ago, st27 said:

It doesn’t .... but every summer when people drown, who don’t know how swim and shouldn’t be near the water...the opp and safety advocates start to make overtures about mandatory wearing of pfd’s.

Here's how I see it;  anyone who doesn't know how to swim, wears a lifejacket.  If you do know how to swim, have them available.  If you're by yourself or if you're the driver and the other people don't know how to handle the boat, wear the lifejacket.  On our boat everyone wears a lifejacket.  I'm the driver and I'm a pretty good swimmer but I always wear the lifejacket because the rest of the family is not skilled at driving the boat.  I've given them some training and, in particular, how to shut the boat down in a panic situation.  In the unlikely circumstance of me being tossed out of the boat unconscious I'm not confident in their ability to manouever around to effect a rescue quickly.

Computer Hint.

Have you ever gone to a news link on Facebook and it won’t let you read the article unless you have a subscription?  

Is so here’s a work around. Simply set your browser to private mode and then go to the papers web site. You should have full access.

• Like 1

I presume this is  a new feature?

I don't go near facebook myself, but it's pleasing to learn there's now an option in place to restrict the site's ability to use personal information without permission that may become the norm across the industry.