AirTransat

Air Transat prepping for A321LRs by rapidly expanding in Europe

• 14 June, 2018
  • SOURCE: Flight Dashboard
  • BY: Jon Hemmerdinger
  • Boston

Air Transat executives are describing the company's rapid European summer expansion as part of a long-term strategy to remain competitive in transatlantic markets.

The airline will dump 15% more seats into Europe this summer – and do so with widebody aircraft that executives concede are not ideal for the job.

But starting next year, Transat will begin defending newly-acquired turf with an expanding fleet of efficient Airbus A321LRs.

"Our first goal [is] to increase frequencies so that we are able to protect our market share," Annick Guerard, chief operating officer of Air Transat parent Transat AT, says on 14 June. "We need to take our place in those markets that we see are highly profitable."

The 15% capacity gains will be carried on existing routes by A330s and A310s.

"Do we have the exact right aircraft to operate these routes? The answer is no," Guerard says during the company's fiscal second quarter earnings call. "We preferred to have smaller models like the A321 long-range, which is coming up in our fleet."

The first of those aircraft – Transat has orders for 10 – will arrive in spring 2019. Transat will use A321LRs to replace A310s on transatlantic routes, it has said.

Guerard says Air Transat seeks to gain more share on routes to Portugal, French destinations besides Paris, as well as the UK.

"It needs to be done this year, as we see competition growing," Guerard says. "If we don’t do it, others will."

She does not name competitors, but next year WestJet will start acquiring the first of ten Boeing 787-9s, an aircraft that the airline has said it will likely deploy to Europe.

Transat's European growth reflects broader industry expansion.

Airlines are on track to carry 9% more seats this summer between Canada and Europe, FlightGlobal schedules data shows.

That expansion is partly why Transat's summer transatlantic fares are tracking down 1% year-over-year, says chief executive Jean-Marc Eustache.

At the same time, higher fuel expenses and disadvantageous currency exchange rates will push up Transat's summer 2018 expenses 7.2%, the company predicts.

"There have been some pressure on fares recently," Eustache says. "The outlook for summer 2018 is not as positive as last year."

2 hours ago, blues deville said:

Future leisure trans Atlantic traffic from Canada will be a choice of a wide body 787 or narrow body 321. Which would you prefer to sit in for an extended amount of time?

Also depends upon OT performance but likely only based on price....

10 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Also depends upon OT performance but likely only based on price....

With these both being new aircraft I think OTP will be good. WS will have a marketing advantage selling the wide body passenger friendly 787. 

24 minutes ago, blues deville said:

With these both being new aircraft I think OTP will be good. WS will have a marketing advantage selling the wide body passenger friendly 787. 

When does the first of those come into service? 787WestJet page talks about early 2019. https://787.westjet.com/

and the 787 blog says: Today WestJet announced that they had signed a purchase agreement to buy 10 787-9 for delivery between 1st quarter 2019 and December 2021.  They also have another 10 options for delivery between 2020 and 2024. The aircraft will be powered by GEnx-1B engines.   http://nyc787.blogspot.com/search?q=westjet

Another factor that many pax are probably not aware of, is cabin alt in the 787 is 5,000 ft, vs 8,000 in the 737 ( I think ) ?  This would definitely be a more comfortable environment.

1 hour ago, conehead said:

Another factor that many pax are probably not aware of, is cabin alt in the 787 is 5,000 ft, vs 8,000 in the 737 ( I think ) ?  This would definitely be a more comfortable environment.

I don't notice any difference, and I don't find that many people do.

16 hours ago, blues deville said:

Future leisure trans Atlantic traffic from Canada will be a choice of a wide body 787 or narrow body 321. Which would you prefer to sit in for an extended amount of time?

With respect that argument was put forward when WJ started flying 737 to Hawaii. Hasn't really mattered much (with AC/Rouge flying to Hawaii on 767 at same time). 

2 hours ago, CanadaEH said:

With respect that argument was put forward when WJ started flying 737 to Hawaii. Hasn't really mattered much (with AC/Rouge flying to Hawaii on 767 at same time). 

Perhaps but much shorter flight times on YVR-HNL. GLA/LGW/CDG  westbound can be an easy 8 hours. 

15 minutes ago, blues deville said:

Perhaps but much shorter flight times on YVR-HNL. GLA/LGW/CDG  westbound can be an easy 8 hours. 

Westjet have been flying the ‘37 to GLA and DUB for a while now and they’ve just started CDG with a MAX.

I would argue that the 321 will be much more comfortable than the 737, especially those window seats...

As an FYI, the configuration on those 321NEO-LRs will be 12 Club/187 ECO.

14 minutes ago, Gumbi said:

Westjet have been flying the ‘37 to GLA and DUB for a while now and they’ve just started CDG with a MAX.

I would argue that the 321 will be much more comfortable than the 737, especially those window seats...

As an FYI, the configuration on those 321NEO-LRs will be 12 Club/187 ECO.

Again you’re comparing different flight times. Westjet’s 737 trans Atlantic flying does not originate from YYZ and is seasonal. 

The Airbus fuselage is an additional 13” wider than all models of the 737 so that a selling feature.

The WS 787 will have a major selling advantage wiith its lower cabin altitude and other passenger friendly features. 

7 minutes ago, blues deville said:

The WS 787 will have a major selling advantage wiith its lower cabin altitude and other passenger friendly features. 

Does it also provide "guest" friendly features?   ?

2 hours ago, Maverick said:

Nah, just tired of your same old shite. 

so stop reading it and stop bitching about it. 

So I suggest you click onto your name, select ignored users and then add my name, instant peace and quiet for both of us.  :dueling:

6 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Does it also provide "guest" friendly features?   ?

I'm pretty sure the last time I checked into a hotel I was considered a guest, was referred to as a guest and was also required to pay for the privilege. 

21 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

so stop reading it and stop bitching about it. 

So I suggest you click onto your name, select ignored users and then add my name, instant peace and quiet for both of us.  :dueling:

No, I'll continue to call you out. How about you stop posting sh!tty, snide comments and then I won't have to? You can then just carry on as the self appointed AEF starter of most every thread!

Win/Win ;)

2 minutes ago, Maverick said:

No, I'll continue to call you out. How about you stop posting sh!tty, snide comments and then I won't have to? You can then just carry on as the self appointed AEF starter of most every thread!

Win/Win ;)

bla bla b la bla.   So no more remarks about WestJet?????  what about the other airlines?????  Thin skinned indeed.   

1 minute ago, Malcolm said:

bla bla b la bla.   So no more remarks about WestJet?????  what about the other airlines?????  Thin skinned indeed.   

That didn't take you long! ?

3 minutes ago, Maverick said:

That didn't take you long! ?

It took me 7 mins, your observation only took 4mins...…  but this reply only took 3  ?

Another Carrier enters the market, it appears they only have a couple of CRJ1000s that might have the legs. https://www.bintercanarias.com/eng/corporative/us/fleet

Determination No. A-2018-136

June 15, 2018

APPLICATION by Binter Canarias, SA carrying on business as Binter Canarias (applicant) pursuant to subsection 69(1) of the Canada Transportation Act, S.C., 1996, c. 10, as amended (CTA).

Case number: 
18-00954

The applicant has applied to the Canadian Transportation Agency (Agency) for a licence to operate scheduled international services in accordance with the Agreement on Air Transport between Canada and the European Community and its Member States, signed on December 18, 2009 (Agreement).

The Agency is satisfied that the applicant meets all the applicable requirements of subsection 69(1) of the CTA. The Agency also finds that the pertinent terms and conditions of the Agreement have been complied with.

Accordingly, the Agency issues the licence.

Pursuant to subsection 71(1) of the CTA, the licence is subject to the conditions prescribed by the Air Transportation Regulations, SOR/88-58, as amended, and the following conditions:

1. Subject to the availability of rights as set out in Annex 2 of the Agreement, the Licensee is authorized to operate scheduled international services on the route set out in the Agreement.
  2. The scheduled international services are to be conducted in accordance with the Agreement and any applicable arrangements agreed to between the European Community and its Member States and Canada.

Member(s)

J. Mark MacKeigan

Archived