Loss of windshield Sichuan Airlines A319 in China

AAS

A Sichuan Airlines Airbus A320-133 (B-6419) was damaged after one of the windshield in the cockpit separate from the aircraft. The flight took off from Chongqing Jiangbei International Airport, China at 22:27 UTC. The accident happened at 23:08 UTC, while the flight was cruising at FL321 over the city of Chengdu, China. The windshield on the right side of the cockpit was separated from the aircraft, causing an decompression of the aircraft.

41 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

I'd be interested to know how the glare shield panel was damaged.

I think it (FCU) may have been pulled up when the FO’s far right side of the glareshield left the building. 

(CNN)A Sichuan Airlines co-pilot was sucked halfway out of an aircraft's cockpit when its windshield shattered during a flight, Chinese state media has reported.

If he had his lap-belt on, I find it hard to believe he was sucked 1/2 way out of the cockpit.....If I remember correctly one can not even touch the windshield with ones head if one has their lap belt on "correctly". Didn't the BA pilot neglect to have his seat belt on? .......In this latest case wouldn't the crew and pax have to don O2, yet there is no mention of that happening......ahhhhh the Press :biggrin1:

Captain Liu Chuanjian and his crew were praised for making an emergency landing after the incident, which occurred at 30,000 feet on an Airbus A319 flight from the Southern city of Chongqing to Lhasa, the capital of Tibet.

"The situation was very critical. The windshield was blown off at a 10,000-meter-high altitude. The aircraft was in a state of low pressure and a temperature was minus 30 to minus 40 degree celsius," Jiang Wenxue, a Civil Aviation Administration (CAA) official, was quoted as saying by state news agency Xinhua.
The co-pilot almost got sucked out of the cockpit but kept calm, according to Chinese state television station CCTV.

"There was no sign before the windshield burst. Just a huge noise," Captain Liu was reported as saying by state news agency China News Service.
"When I looked at the other side, the co-pilot was partially blown out of the aircraft. Luckily, he had the belt buckled up. Many devices were malfunctioned and the plane was jolting strongly. It was very difficult to control," he added.

The co-pilot suffered scratches and a sprained wrist, the CAA said, adding that a flight attendant was also injured. None of the plane's 119 passengers were injured and the aircraft safely landed at Chengdu Shuangliu Airport in southern China.

However, passengers and crew described frightening scenes on board the plane during the incident.
"All people were shouting onboard. We just tried our best to reassure the passengers and make everyone believe us that we could touch down safely," Zhou Yanwen, the injured flight attendant, was quoted as saying by China News Service.

"It happened as the flight attendants were serving our meals. People were shocked," the agency quoted an unnamed passenger as saying.
Zhou said that some air stewardesses were thrown into air and that food was strewn about.
The windshield shattered over the southwest city of Chengdu about an hour and twenty minutes after flight 3U8633 took off at 6.27 am local time (1027 GMT), the CAA said in statement released by CCTV.

An investigation into the incident is underway.
Chinese people praised the pilot as an "epic hero" on social media, according to China News Service.
"The crew were level-headed and dealt with the crisis decisively and properly, avoiding a major disaster, which shows the superb technical skills and professionalism," the CAA added.

13 hours ago, DEFCON said:

I'd be interested to know how the glare shield panel was damaged.

It was probably damaged when the FO was yanked out of his seat toward the open window.

3 minutes ago, boestar said:

in the BA event a flight attendant had to hold the pilot as he was not wearing a seatbelt.

Exactly. That BA Captain was on his way out....

FA Nigel Ogden was entering the cockpit when there was a loud bang and the cabin quickly filled with condensation. The left windscreen panel on Lancaster's side of the flight deck had separated from the forward fuselage. Lancaster was propelled out of his seat by the rushing air from the decompression and forced head first out of the flight deck. His knees were caught on the flight controls and his upper torso remained outside the aircraft exposed to extreme wind and cold”.

On 5/14/2018 at 10:15 AM, AAS said:

The windshield on the right side of the cockpit was separated from the aircraft,

The Canadian news programs keep saying the 'window shattered'.

Which piece of journalistic excellence is right?

"When I looked at the other side, the co-pilot was partially blown out of the aircraft. Luckily, he had the belt buckled up."

I forgot that there's nothing other than the glare shield between the pilot and the windscreen. Assuming the FO only had the lap / crotch belt on, can you imagine the length his spine was stretched in the instant of the explosive decompression?    

Windshield-loss A319 also suffered control panel damage

• 18 May, 2018
  • SOURCE: Flight Dashboard
  • BY: David Kaminski-Morrow

Chinese investigators have disclosed that the Sichuan Airlines Airbus A319 which lost a main cockpit window at cruise altitude also suffered substantial damage to its flight-control unit.

The aircraft had been cruising at 9,800m at the time of the 14 May accident, states French investigation authority BEA, citing its Chinese counterparts.

It states that the entire right-hand windshield pane separated, damaging the flight-control unit and causing the aircraft to depressurise.

The flight-control unit, located on the upper forward instrument panel, features dials and switches that enable the crew to relay altitude, heading and other instructions to the autopilot.

Oxygen masks were deployed in the cabin after the windshield loss, says BEA, and the crew transmitted a distress call, setting the transponder to the urgency squawk code 7700.

The aircraft, bound for Lhasa, diverted to Chengdu, bursting two main landing-gear tyres on touchdown.

Civil Aviation Administration of China says its south-western bureau is investigating the event, adding that it has already issued an emergency safety notice detailing the incident and outlining a number of safety instructions.

It says operators should be "highly vigilant" in assessing the safety risk, and that components with relevant part numbers should be checked. Flight crew should "strictly follow" operating manuals and cabin crew, in particular, should remind passengers to fasten seatbelts, it adds.

• 4 weeks later...

A Sichuan Airlines pilot has been awarded nearly US$776,912 for calmly landing the flight 3U8633 after his co-pilot was partially sucked out of the cockpit window on May 15, 2018.

The Chinese pilot, Liu Chuanjian, was awarded the nearly five million yuan and the title of “hero captain of China’s civil aviation.” An airbus A319 carrying 119 passengers was cruising at an altitude of 32,000 feet, the right windshield broke loose and a deafening sound tore through the cabin.

The pilot saw his co-pilot was partially sucked out and said “i noticed, my co-pilot had been sucked halfway out of the window” he added “everything in the cockpit was floating in the air. Most of the equipment malfunctioned — and I couldn’t hear the radio.”

The Captain Liu Chuanjian took control of the situation, and safely landed the plane.

The Captain Liu Chuanjian received five million yuan (US$776,912), the second in command, Liang Peng, was awarded two million yuan (US$312,456), 27-year-old co-pilot Xu Ruichen, received one million yuan, (US$156,228), and six other crew members were given one million yuan between them.

http://newsinflight.com/2018/06/13/pilot-was-awarded-us777-for-safely-landing-the-plane-after-his-co-pilot-was-sucked-halfway-out-cockpit-window-awarded-777g/

10 minutes ago, conehead said:

The story doesn’t have any more info, but it leaves me wondering... who awarded them all this money?  And why?

On June 8th, the Chinese Civil Aviation Administration and Sichuan Province awarded Sichuan Airlines captain Liu Chuanjian the “China Civil Aviation Heroes Unit” award as the “Chivalry Officer of the Chinese Civil Aviation” for his emergency landing of flight 3U8633, according to a Google-translated version of a story published by China’s Xinhua News Agency.

I still don't see how the FO was sucked 1/2 way out of the aircraft and only suffered scratches...???Who pulled him back in while the CAPT was doing an emergency descent? How did he get O2 etc etc......? If one has their lap-belt done up there is no way one can be sucked 1/2 way out the front window.....

Archived