Westjet pilots strike vote

• Replies 165
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we gave them back, there is such a shortage of aircraft in the market that there was a high likelihood those aircraft would’ve come right back to Canada and be operated by the competition. 

Geez, I'm pretty sure I heard that in 2011/12 when Rouge was being floated at AC....these CEO need to get new press release writers.

It’s more a threat tactic to reduce competition than it is necessarily a money-making opportunity for them,” he said. “If you have deep pockets and you have a diversified business, you can cross-subsidize a losing venture for a while.”

Great plan, well done folks.

45 minutes ago, Zan Vetter said:

It’s more a threat tactic to reduce competition than it is necessarily a money-making opportunity for them,” he said. “If you have deep pockets and you have a diversified business, you can cross-subsidize a losing venture for a while.”

Great plan, well done folks.

Reduce competition, wasn't that exactly what WestJet accused AC of doing way back when.  WestJet is def. now a heritage airline. :dueling:

Threat tactic, to the pilots, which they’ve lost. Threat tactic, to the market, which based on the likelihood of this being accretive to earnings, they’ve lost. Strategy meetings now should be focusing on the best way to abandon this venture with as little additional damage as possible. Until that happens, it will continue to be a drag on everything- management, culture, earnings, on revenue. Climb down now and it’s New Coke, a footnote. 

8 hours ago, Zan Vetter said:

Climb down now and it’s New Coke, a footnote. 

Yup, best thing to do is create a "Swoop" fare class and be done with it.

15 minutes ago, Super 80 said:

The problem with the Swoop mess is for the strategy of discouraging or suffocating any ULCC new entrant to work there can't be any breathing room for a cost advantage over Swoop.

It’s interesting to have WS looking over their shoulders at potential low cost competition. Hard to believe they are worried about where their used 737’s will end up flying but anything is possible. 

As we are now into the long weekend,  (probably not a weekend off for the negotiators), any one's crystal ball lighting up with a strike notice announcement?  If I read correctly, it's 72 hours in advance, so in absence of any press announcements, I think that puts us into Wednesday at the earliest.

Is this a good sign that progress is being made?

Keeping a good thought for the WJ pilots' team.  It doesn't matter where along the river the erosion happens.  In the end, we all lose the ground.  Thanks for standing up.

Vs

WJ has done, or is now doing, everything they previously ridiculed (yes I said ridiculed) AC for doing. I remember the posts right here, on this very forum, during CCAA process lest anyone wish to suggest I might have it wrong. I bet there is a lot more here he dislikes than just pilots…

If I read this literally, there weren't talks on the long weekend, and there is nothing to read into that. Talks resumed this morning.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-westjet-pilots-resume-contract-negotiations-in-calgary/

WestJet Airlines Ltd. says contract negotiations with its pilots resumed Monday in Calgary.

Talks between the airline and pilots represented by the Air Line Pilots Association moved from Halifax where they took place last week.

Neither side would say if any progress was being made.

The pilots had committed not to disrupt passenger travel plans over the Victoria Day long weekend as a goodwill gesture.

WestJet spokeswoman Lauren Stewart says the airline has not received any notification of job action from the pilots and it remains “actively engaged in negotiations.”

The union tweeted Tuesday morning that it’s committed to reaching an agreement and will be at the bargaining table this week.

5 hours ago, dagger said:

If I read this literally, there weren't talks on the long weekend, and there is nothing to read into that. Talks resumed this morning.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/business/article-westjet-pilots-resume-contract-negotiations-in-calgary/

WestJet Airlines Ltd. says contract negotiations with its pilots resumed Monday in Calgary.

Talks between the airline and pilots represented by the Air Line Pilots Association moved from Halifax where they took place last week.

Neither side would say if any progress was being made.

The pilots had committed not to disrupt passenger travel plans over the Victoria Day long weekend as a goodwill gesture.

WestJet spokeswoman Lauren Stewart says the airline has not received any notification of job action from the pilots and it remains “actively engaged in negotiations.”

The union tweeted Tuesday morning that it’s committed to reaching an agreement and will be at the bargaining table this week.

There were talks on Mon.  

Note who will fly all the Swoop planes 

WestJet agrees to 'settlement process' with pilots union

WestJet and the Air Line Pilots Association have agreed to a settlement process through the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service.

Airline has agreed to let union-represented pilots fly Swoop planes, sources tell CBC News

Carly Stagg · CBC News · Posted: May 25, 2018 7:20 PM MT | Last Updated: 27 minutes ago

westjet-20180508.jpg
WestJet and the Air Line Pilots Association have agreed to mediation and, if necessary, binding arbitration. (Darryl Dyck/Canadian Press)

Anxious air travellers can now rest easy with the threat of a WestJet strike seemingly at an end.

The Calgary-based airline and the Air Line Pilots Association have agreed to a settlement process through the Federal Mediation and Conciliation Service. Both sides have agreed to mediation — and if required, final and binding arbitration.

"I think the most important news tonight is that the threat of strike action as been removed for WestJet guests. WestJet guests can now continue to book and travel in absolute confidence around their trip," said WestJet CEO Ed Sims from the Calgary International Airport Friday night.

Earlier this month, WestJet's pilots voted 91 per cent in favour of walking off the job. They were legally eligible to go on strike as of May 19, but the pilots committed not to disrupt travel plans for passengers over the Victoria Day long weekend as a goodwill gesture.

WestJet has been negotiating with the pilots union over a new working contract for months. The sticking point for the union was the Calgary-based airlines' latest venture — the ultra-low-cost carrier Swoop. 

The airline initially planned to staff the discount carrier with non-company pilots in order to keep costs low. Swoop pilots would be hired from overseas and paid less than WestJet's staff pilots. The union's position is that only WestJet pilots should fly the airline's fleet, including those of its subsidiaries.

After a tense week of negotiations, sources tell CBC News, WestJet agreed to let union-represented pilots fly all WestJet planes — including Swoop — but wages and working conditions are still being negotiated.

Archived