Sign in to follow this  
deicer

Why You Need Trusted News Sources

Maybe worth a shot....

Here’s the thing: If you’re obsessed to any degree with Donald Trump’s troubles and his twists and turns in his battles, you’re probably tired already. Daily, following the coverage feels like lurching through an existential void. You ask, “Where is truth?” And, eventually, "What is truth?”

Embrace the hurly-burly of all-news coverage and at times you might agree with some in the Trump administration that the mainstream media amounts to an army of agenda-fuelled lackeys. Where, oh where, is the coherence?

Frontline: Trump’s Showdown (Tuesday, PBS, 10 p.m.) is your life jacket. A two-hour special report, it brings coherence to an incoherent narrative. It steps away from the panels of pundits on CNN or Fox News who simply want to pummel other opinions. It does, mind you, have some familiar faces from those panels. But, it being PBS, this is a lengthy commercial-free analysis. Its agenda is to straighten out the tangled tale and prep viewers for what will probably happen next. That is, the showdown.

'Trump’s Showdown: At last, a coherent view of the turmoil'

• Like 1

Take it easy Deicer, the show hasn't even aired yet and you're already getting all excited just because someone else has an opinion to throw out.

I trust that of all the institutions, PBS will come out with the fairest and most in depth analysis of the situation.

Just because I agree with Airband on that it might be a show worth watching, it caused you to salivate and jump at the bell.

I don't even have to comment and you race to show how uninformed, biased and shallow you are.

THE SKY IS FALLING, THE SKY IS FALLING, RUN FOR YOUR LIFEEEEEEEEE...

Kavanaugh’s appointment isn’t a step backward. It’s a head-first plunge into an ugly past !!

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/article-kavanaughs-appointment-isnt-a-step-backward-its-a-head-first/

The confirmation of Brett Kavanaugh was always about more than Brett Kavanaugh.

It was about more than his rage-filled, vindictive temperament, which last week prompted the American Bar Association, Republican former Supreme Court Justice John Paul Stevens, over 2,400 legal professorshis own classmates and religious organizations from multiple denominations to join an already diverse majority of Americans in deeming Judge Kavanaugh unsuitable for the highest court in America.

His flaws are so many, his unfitness so obvious, that he achieved what is often said to be impossible in the Donald Trump era: he united Americans of different backgrounds and political persuasions in common cause.

After Saturday’s official Senate vote, naming him to the Supreme Court, we are united in common anguish.

The confirmation of Judge Kavanaugh was, at heart, a referendum on the integrity of U.S. institutions and of the impunity of elites – and America failed. Senators who purport to believe in rule of law vouched for a judge who sees himself as above it. Senators who purport to believe in democracy honoured a man who degrades it, and did so in deference to a man seemingly attempting to destroy it – President Trump.

Checks and balances are nearly gone. The executive branch was long ago corrupted; the independent legislature neutered by a GOP majority nakedly seeking one-party rule. Until now, the judiciary had been the strongest bulwark against autocracy, having struck down many of Mr. Trump’s unconstitutional executive orders during his first year. The Trump administration responded by packing the courts, appointing right-wing judges to lifetime appointments and purging attorneys they view as opponents. Judge Kavanaugh is the final nail in that coffin.

This is now Mr. Trump’s Supreme Court of the United States, run on white male entitlement and alternative facts. Judge Kavanaugh is expected to act as Mr. Trump’s legal lackey, exonerating him regardless of the charge or the evidence. His appointment may not only end the efficacy of the Mueller probe, but curtail other attempts to prosecute Mr. Trump or his aides on state charges, due to a case, Gamble v. The United States, that the Supreme Court is set to hear this term.

Autocrats rewrite the law so they are no longer breaking it, and they hire and fire accordingly. This is why I have been warning for years that Donald Trump, whose seemingly autocratic consolidation grows stronger every day, was akin to a criminal able to someday select his own judge or delay his own trial – and now he has. This is why a purge of the FBI was followed by a sham FBI investigation into Judge Kavanaugh, reminiscent of those of authoritarian states, with key witnesses and evidence ignored.

For the President, the confirmation of this judge is a hand-picked gift, but for ordinary Americans, he marks the end of truths we deemed self-evident. Judge Kavanaugh marks the imposition of a corrosive new reality. The Supreme Court is likely to roll back decades of hard-earned rights, particularly voting rights, civil rights, and women’s rights.

His is a lifetime appointment, meaning that barring impeachment, I will live under this cruel, extremist judge for the rest of my life, as I raise a daughter who will have fewer rights than my son, as I raise two white children who will have more rights than their non-white friends. What we are witnessing is not a step backwards for America so much as a headlong plunge into a punitive past. Adults must fight this future for the sake of the youngest Americans, who have already lost more than they ever got the chance to know.

On September 28, Senator Patrick Leahy effectively pronounced the American democratic system dead. “This Judiciary Committee is no longer an independent branch of Congress, and we’re supposed to be. The Senate is supposed to be," he said. "We’re an arm, and a very weak arm, of the Trump White House. A resemblance of independence has just disappeared. It’s gone.”

In less than two years, America has lost the executive, legislative, judicial branches to corruption, while other checks – the media, the criminal justice system – remain badly damaged.

That leaves one check: the people. That is why we fight. That is why we protest. That is why we vote. Because we, the people, are all we have left.

FREEDOM OF THE PRESS, AS LONG AS YOU SUPPORT THE LEFT !!!!

News anchor leaves CBS station after defending Kavanaugh in online post

“ A veteran California broadcast journalist has resigned after writing a 400-word Facebook post last month defending then-Supreme Court nominee Brett Kavanaugh from sexual assault allegations.

Kris Long had been off the air at CBS affiliate KESQ-TV in Palm Springs since the Sept. 17 post appeared, the Desert Sun reported.”

AND.....

“ The Society For Professional Journalists, the nation’s oldest and largest professional journalism association, urges journalists to avoid activities that “may compromise integrity or impartiality, or may damage credibility."

I guess this means no one at CNN or the New York Times have Integrity, impartiality or credibility.

Long’s resignation comes as a reporter for an NBC affiliate in Minnesota was fired after wearing a “Make America Great Again" cap while covering President Trump’s rally in that state. “

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/news-anchor-leaves-cbs-station-after-defending-kavanaugh-in-online-post

8 hours ago, Jaydee said:

His is a lifetime appointment, meaning that barring impeachment, I will live under this cruel, extremist judge for the rest of my life, as I raise a daughter who will have fewer rights than my son, as I raise two white children who will have more rights than their non-white friends. What we are witnessing is not a step backwards for America so much as a headlong plunge into a punitive past. Adults must fight this future for the sake of the youngest Americans, who have already lost more than they ever got the chance to know.

What a load of nonsense.  It's her son that she should be fearful for as her daughter has many more "rights" than he does and their "non-white" friends have more than both of them.  The worst part of this is she (the writer) believes it and is teaching her kids to believe it.

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, seeker said:

What a load of nonsense.  It's her son that she should be fearful for as her daughter has many more "rights" than he does and their "non-white" friends have more than both of them.  The worst part of this is she (the writer) believes it and is teaching her kids to believe it.

I hope you realise that your post displays the 'privilege' that they are talking about and how it is affecting society at this point.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/10/07/opinions/snl-trump-gop-clueless-women-opinion-obeidallah/index.html

One of the best comedic lines of the sketch was delivered by "Senate Majority leader Mitch McConnell," played hilariously by SNL's Beck Bennett, who declared, "Republicans read the mood of the country. We could tell that people really wanted Kavanaugh. Everyone is pumped, from white men over 60 to white men over 70."

At least he acknowledged who the GOP truly wanted to please with Kavanaugh.

6 hours ago, deicer said:

I hope you realise that your post displays the 'privilege' that they are talking about and how it is affecting society at this poin

You may recall (right on this forum) that suggesting careful consideration be applied to integrating refugees was considered white privilege at is most racist. The agenda prevailed with predictable results and has proven itself to be expensive. Now, the insatiable appetite for more of the same concerns me.

White privilege vs ethnic oppression and the quest for equality of outcome and not equality of opportunity is the very basis of tribalism and much to be feared. I suggest that you’ll find very few people who have served with the military or UN in Africa (in any capacity), that will defend the concept or wish to see it flourish here. Most of these folks don’t even bother debating the issues out of a sense of futility. They simply wait until voting day… that’s not good either, but it seems to be working. Nothing in my experience suggests that this is other than a dark and dangerous path. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

3 hours ago, deicer said:

I hope you realise that your post displays the 'privilege' that they are talking about and how it is affecting society at this point.

That doesn't even make sense.  What privilege am I apparently displaying?  I was referring to the woman who feels that her daughter has fewer "rights" than her son.  I don't think she means "rights" because they both have the same rights, I think she's somehow implying that her daughter will be disadvantaged in comparison to her son.  This is ridiculous - in every situation her daughter will face a societal structure that is tilted in her favour;  the education system is set up to favour girls over boys, when applying to university she will be eligible for more scholarships, receive more encouragement and will be the focus of enrolment and recruitment.  When seeking employment she often be eligible for positions that are stated to be open to women only. The family court system favours women, the criminal court system favours women, the education system favours women, employment opportunities favour women so how, exactly, is the daughter disadvantaged in comparison to the son?  Tell me, how should the son feel when he sees his sister getting educational and employment opportunities, encouragement and scholarships that aren't available to him all the while he's being told that's he's privileged?  I have a son and a daughter.  I want her to be successful and I'm proud of her successes but it's my son's future that causes me the most worry. 

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, deicer said:

Mysogyny 101.jpg

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_equivalence

A common way for this fallacy to be perpetuated is one shared trait between two subjects is assumed to show equivalence, especially in order of magnitude, when equivalence is not necessarily the logical result. False equivalence is a common result when an anecdotal similarity is pointed out as equal, but the claim of equivalence doesn't bear because the similarity is based on oversimplification or ignorance of additional factors. 

Here is a good summation of what the whole Kavanaugh process was about, as well as where our society is now, which has led to the 'me too' movement.  Before there will be balance, there will be many wild oscillations of the pendulum.  Having said that, it is about the power shift that is occurring.

https://www.sfchronicle.com/opinion/reich/article/It-s-time-to-fight-back-against-America-s-13272522.php

https://motherboard.vice.com/en_us/article/pa9qvv/wikipedia-banned-breitbart-infowars

Wikipedia editors voted to ban Breitbart as a source of fact in it articles. The consensus, reached late last month, agreed that the outlet “should not be used, ever, as a reference for facts, due to its unreliability.” Wikipedia editors also decided that InfoWars is a “conspiracy theorist and fake news website,” and that the “use of InfoWars as a reference should be generally prohibited.

The power shift favours common sense.

There's a really good chance the Republicans will gain a number of seats in the coming Congressional elections.

What will you say then Deicer?

• Thanks 1

So what you're saying is: respect the opinion of the electorate.  I agree.  Respect the fact that Trump was elected by the majority (of those who cared enough to vote).  (As I said before I think Trump's a poor representative of the American people but still better than Clinton.)

• Like 1

Theoretically yes.  However, voting systems are ineffective in our time and do not necessarily reflect the will of the people.  As an example, Trump had less of the popular vote,(Hilary had 2.8 million more votes) but was put in as President because of the Electoral College system.  That system no longer reflects a modern America.

http://time.com/4608555/hillary-clinton-popular-vote-final/

So by your statement above, Hilary should be President as she won the popular vote.

Moving forward, if it is to be the will of the people, then it should be the candidate that gets the most votes, whether it be in the U.S. system, or as it is in the Canadian parliamentary riding system.

As well, with the modern internet, there should also be more effort put into weeding out the false and irresponsible information that only works to create confusion and dissent amongst those who refuse to follow the news and educate themselves. (As per the post about Wikipedia above)

6 hours ago, deicer said:

As an example, Trump had less of the popular vote,(Hilary had 2.8 million more votes) but was put in as President because of the Electoral College system.  That system no longer reflects a modern America.

Using that concept though California, New York and Florida would pretty much carry the day, everyone else could stay home and not bother voting.

Canada is in much the same boat. Even though the Liberals promised election reform (meaning popular vote) it was never going to happen because it’s border line unworkable given the population concentrations… that’s a good thing BTW, God forbid the current disease in California (or Toronto) spreads.

Edited by Wolfhunter

If it was 1902 I would agree with you.  

It isn't though.  The wonder of modern communications and the ability of the internet to transmit news and information almost instantly has removed the reasons for the way things were done in the past.

As for population concentrations, most of the population has the same concerns these days over shelter, taxes, healthcare etc.  The only difference is that rural areas are still predominantly white, for now. 

So if that's the main concern, time to modernise.

11 hours ago, deicer said:

The only difference is that rural areas are still predominantly white, for now. 

I see no happy ending in the world of identity politics.... too many previous party supporters are walking away because of it.

Perversely, this time around the conservative vote is likely to be split between the PC and CPP giving the Liberals the same "Trump style" victory you stand opposed to. Regardless though, failing to incorporate regional diversity into the election process would make Canada ungovernable. The notion that "most of the population has the same concerns" is just not credible IMHO. While things like shelter, taxes, health care (and a few others) are ubiquitous issues, prairie wheat farmers don't care about SAR availability on the first day of lobster season (as a for instance). That's not some oddball issue BTW, there are lots of regional issues that people from other regions don't even know are issues. Most people in Toronto don't even know that the fur trade employs some 60 thousand Canadians. We are definitely not all the same, and it has nothing to do with whiteness or white privilege.

One things for sure, from a political "needs" perspective, Toronto residents and I have virtually nothing in common... I think I like it that way. 

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/levy-toronto-the-good-is-in-bad-shape

We could have a country folk vs city folk vote but I bet you would like the policy outcomes of that even less.

https://www.fortmcmurraytoday.com/news/local-news/handgun-owners-sport-shooters-recoil-at-possible-ban

BTW, love the video... thanks.

Edited by Wolfhunter