Why You Need Trusted News Sources

• Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not defending Trump or his policies, but at least the Potus has open access by the press...he may answer, he may ignore them, he may tell the to F off, but at least he has the guts to be in front

Now we all have to quit quoting him so we never have to see a post from him.

The only Rock I see here is the heads of the people that think a single news source provides anything but biased reporting. most of the american news outlets are owned by a single company with a

Posted Images

Watch Zuckerberg lie through his teeth as he's grilled ...

Sen. Hawley Produces Facebook Whistleblower Evidence That Leaves Zuckerberg SPEECHLESS at Hearing

https://rumble.com/vb6xup-sen.-hawley-produces-facebook-whistleblower-evidence-that-leaves-zuckerberg.html?mref=22lbp&mc=56yab&fbclid=IwAR3pVvUpa7V280kv7R60v7gkzYnz2Xdnj8VOYV_U4gx3Hr9MVz-5bP4jUN4

• Like 1

Based on a small circle of family and acquaintances, I'm starting to suspect that a great many people no longer know who to believe.

The purveyors of misinformation are quick to blame the misinformation of other misinformation purveyors for general public misinformation and then choose to do so on CBC. I don't think there is a competitive shooter or licensed gun owner (as an example) in the entire country who believes anything with a CBC banner on it anymore. 

The only entity that directly benefits from misinformation is misinformation itself. Like an individuals word and handshake, public trust is hard won and easily lost.

How many people now start a sentence with "I won't lie?" It's like an epidemic and your credibility with me is gone in the time it takes to utter those words. And that's no lie...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/roussin-dispels-covid-misinformation-1.5805866

Edited by Wolfhunter
32 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

Based on a small circle of family and acquaintances, I'm starting to suspect that a great many people no longer know who to believe.

The purveyors of misinformation are quick to blame the misinformation of other misinformation purveyors for general public misinformation and then choose to do so on CBC. I don't think there is a competitive shooter or licensed gun owner (as an example) in the entire country who believes anything with a CBC banner on it anymore. 

The only entity that directly benefits from misinformation is misinformation itself. Like an individuals word and handshake, public trust is hard won and easily lost.

How many people now start a sentence with "I won't lie?" It's like an epidemic and your credibility with me is gone in the time it takes to utter those words. And that's no lie...

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manitoba/roussin-dispels-covid-misinformation-1.5805866

Wolf,

'Respectfully, don't get pulled into the vortex of dis-belief that hospitals are not approaching over load. It may not be your individual hospital where you live but the health system in general is in big trouble, sooner or later, but it's here now and getting worse daily. Hospitals with few patients will soon have to start accepting patients from areas that are in dire straits.

I personally know 4 individuals employed in the health industry.  Unless they are all lying to me, the threat is real. If anything, it's that the threat is  being under reported ..probably to avoid panic.

Does any one else have any personal experiences from the part of the country where they live?

Edited by Jaydee

My comments are (or were intended to be) mostly general and pertinent to the current level of disinformation. It's not just fringe elements who now see a conspiracy everywhere they look.

Perhaps I should only have used the headline... or perhaps the topic itself is inappropriate for making that point. Or perhaps I just made it poorly. 

Suffice it to say though, that a good bit of the disbelief and distrust about this issue is a function and byproduct of the very point I was clumsy in making. The number of people who simply don't perceive a threat is (anecdotally) pretty large in my circle of acquaintances and I think a lot of that stems from a lack of trust. I would also submit that the lack of trust on display here is largely a recent development, a manifestation of cynicism toward the media and likely to get worse with time if basic trust in the media (and government) continues to decline. 

Again, anecdotal at best, but I'm beginning to see it as pervasive... and this at a time when when trust is of significant value. Many of the folks I know would not take the Covid vaccine were it offered to them today, again, I perceive it as an issue of trust in their view.... That's also a recent development for most of them. 

If you are suggesting that it's a bad trend.... I would agree. If indeed it is a trend, and not simply a misinformed country folk observation, I would question how this new level of mistrust gained sufficient traction for it to be apparent to someone (like me) who is not consciously seeking it. Might be a lesson in it.

Edited by Wolfhunter

Bill Gates says social media platform Parler’s content has some ‘crazy stuff’

Bill Gates

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/18/bill-gates-comments-on-social-media-platform-parler.html

“Gates, who has been targeted by online anti-vaxxer conspiracy theorists (who believe Gates is trying to microchip humans through coronavirus vaccines, an accusation to which there is no truth), said there needs to be regulation to manage misinformation on social media platforms.”

Me first Bill Gates! Thank you for protecting us from bad thoughts!!

Edited by Eddy

With the proliferation of conspiracy theories, one has to look to the source to determine the veracity.  This one is about Canada's 'Fox News North' aka Sun Media...

https://www.thedailybeast.com/joe-warmington-pal-of-toronto-mayor-rob-ford-fueled-sidney-powells-latest-trump-conspiracy

How a Pal of Crack-Smoking Toronto Mayor Fueled the Latest Trump Conspiracy

WHAT ARE THEY ON?

One of the baseless theories spread by Trump’s lawyer Sidney Powell on Thursday was ignited online by a far-right Canadian website and Toronto’s most notorious tabloid columnist.

Alongside the QAnon fans and former Breitbart reporters you’d expect to find in the fetid swamps from which the president’s legal team fished out their latest baseless claims, this week saw the emergence of a new conspiracy ground zero: Toronto, Canada.

Specifically, some of the claims pushed by the president’s lawyer Sidney Powell on Thursday seem to have been popularized by a far-right Canadian website whose correspondent used to be a white supremacist webstore merchant and Toronto’s most infamous tabloid columnist, Joe Warmington.

Warmington is a Trump-boosting writer for the Toronto Sun, who sometimes wears a novelty fedora, calls himself the “Night Scrawler” and was once the mouthpiece of crack-smoking Toronto mayor Rob Ford.

Powell, who has repeatedly made false allegations that electronic voting systems switched ballots to support President-elect Joe Biden, had a new twist on her claims at the press conference that turned Rudy Giuliani’s hair dye into a global phenomenon.

Central to her false claims is the voting machine company Dominion Voting Systems, whose international headquarters is in Toronto.

"They are moving their offices overnight to different places, their offices in Toronto were shared with one of the Soros entities,” Powell alleged, at a press conference in New York on Thursday, in an attempt to tie Dominion to George Soros.

The billionaire investor, known for giving to progressive causes, is frequently invoked in right-wing conspiracy theories as a secret financier of liberal plots.

Powell’s claim followed tweets from Warmington, whose literary history includes a slim paperback biography of Billy Ray Cyrus he wrote in 1994.

On November 14, he staked out the Toronto offices of Dominion, a day after former Breitbart reporter Patrick Howley claimed the company “shares floor space” there with a “Soros Group.” Howley’s claim was based on address listings that place Dominion and the charity Tides Canada, the alleged “Soros Group,” in the same downtown Toronto building.

201120-craig-crack-embed-3_yjoyrz

Twitter

In a since-deleted tweet, Warmington—who has a habit of Tweeting about Soros and “globalists”—noted that lights were still on in the building at night, a claim that Powell seems to have picked up in her allegation that Dominion was “moving their offices overnight to different places.”

Warmington—who had a column retracted earlier this year when he included fake Drake lyrics and once staked out a rival newspaper’s office after one of its reporters died by suicide—also posted the address listing for Tides Canada.

But that’s where the conspiracy unravels. Tides Canada, which rebranded to Makeway in June, moved its Toronto offices to another building last year, according to charity spokesperson Norah Murphy.

It is also not affiliated with George Soros in any way. While the U.S.-based Tides Foundation, which Tides Canada’s founders were inspired by, has received funding from Soros’ charitable foundations, the two organizations are independent.

“Despite repeatedly clarifying that we are an independent registered Canadian national charity and that Tides US and Tides Canada are distinct organizations, with no legal or governance ties, this false depiction continues to be shared,” said Murphy. “When Tides Canada was founded in 2000, its founders were inspired by the Tides US foundation model, hence the name.”

Warmington’s tweet, nevertheless, was shared on several QAnon forums and Telegram groups, the Daily Beast confirmed, where baseless conspiracies that the election was rigged for Biden are widespread.

It also drew the attention of the far-right Rebel News, a Canadian outlet that doubles as the country’s equivalent of Breitbart and InfoWars, mixing incendiary commentary with unreliable reporting.

Rebel sent their own correspondent, Keean Bexte, to the office where Dominion is located on Tuesday.

Bexte—who previously worked for a white supremacist military surplus webstore that sold Rhodesian and apartheid South African flags—managed to produce a quixotic, ten-minute long segment that could double as a parody of far-right YouTube videos.

In his video, Bexte presses a microphone towards people entering the building, tracks down a building manager who asks him to leave, and wonders whether “the radical employees of George Soros [are] able to access the same desks, filing cabinets, servers, and Wi-Fi of Dominion Voting.”

The whole time he appears ignorant of the fact that the alleged “Soros group” left the multi-tenanted building in November 2019. Stock video of animated servers appear at one point, adding a Tim & Eric aesthetic.

201120-craig-crack-embed_xyznoa

Rebel news

On Wednesday, the Rebel appended the page where it hosts the video to note Tides Canada “moved out of the office building at 215 Spadina Ave. last year, although their name remains in the building door-entry system and on the building’s directory of tenants.”

That didn’t stop Bexte and Warmington from congratulating one another on Thursday, when Powell relayed her allegations at a press conference full of dozens of other false and misleading claims.

"Sidney Powell just referred to my viral story about Dominion sharing an office floor with George Soros' orgs," wrote Bexte on Twitter, adding a "shoutout" to Warmington for "being on the story first."

“Great work Keean,” replied Warmington. “You did the heavy lifting.” (He has since deleted this tweet).

EnNwqk5WEAAQcjA_dwgwwu

Twitter

Warmington’s Trump cheerleading does not mark the first time he’s gotten behind a politician with a dubious relationship to the truth. He frequently defended Rob Ford, who repeatedly lied about his crack-cocaine use, from charges made by other outlets.

Ford, who died in 2016, is also the politician whose habit for telling falsehoods prepped CNN fact-checking prodigy Daniel Dale for his coverage of Trump’s lying. Dale covered Ford for the Toronto Star, a Sun rival that aggressively challenged Ford’s administration.

This is also not the first time Warmington has had kind words for someone affiliated with white nationalism. He called the far-right media personality Faith Goldy, a one-time Rebel correspondent, a “good kid” after she appeared in a podcast on the neo-Nazi website The Daily Stormer.

Meanwhile, Dominion says its employees have been the subject of death threats as a result of false conspiracies circulating about the company.

Warmington and a spokesperson for Postmedia, the parent company of the Toronto Sun, did not reply to a request for comment.

• Thanks 1

I made the mistake of not signing in again... It's a bit like drinking beer on the roof and staring into the setting sun.

Fact checking far left media bias is exhausting, and there is no benefit to undertaking the pain of doing it... only "so what about this?" followed by a scriptural quote taken out of context.

With the departure of WOXOF, it all goes zero/zero in fog again and I flash back to my Seaking days in the English channel doing below limits approaches and following smoke markers to a pitching deck. If only WOXOF could indulge his proclivities with a degree of moderation and decorum....

The lesson here is that the ignore function only works if you are signed in.

Edited by Wolfhunter
1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

With the departure of WOXOF, it all goes zero/zero in fog again

WOXOF was the biggest breath of fresh air to hit this forum since DEFCON left.  Speaking of which....DEFCONNNNNNN......Come out, Come out, where ever you are !

13 minutes ago, Jaydee said:

WOXOF was the biggest breath of fresh air to hit this forum since DEFCON left.  Speaking of which....DEFCONNNNNNN......Come out, Come out, where ever you are !

Your age is showing, WOXOF was before Defcon, just like Alkaid et al.  

Who became JDunkin.

'Nuff said.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, deicer said:

The ironic thing is that you could have Ben Shapiro read the exact same script while showing pictures and video of Obama winning and Clinton losing and it would make perfect sense.

Fawning adulation of Trump is cringeworthy while fawning adulation of Obama is worthy of....a Nobel Prize?

Mobs of angry Trump supporters constitutes a cult while millions of idiots in pussy-hats is perfectly legitimate.

2 hours ago, Jaydee said:

The whole "verifiable facts from reliable sources" thing used to be entertaining; now it's just noise, something to be ignored. 

According to GOOGLE, I could make 923 million posts about the world being flat. That would be over 2.5 million a day for a year.

At the end of it, we would have advanced common sense, rational policy development, space exploration and science by less than nothing... and collectively, we would all be dumber than we are now for the effort of having done it.

You can't recycle wasted time and the point of propaganda isn't just to misinform the public and push an agenda... it's to exhaust your critical thinking and annihilate the truth.

Any attempt at discussion only serves as an invitation to the latest T-shirt slogan party with strident claims of racist, xenophobe and accusations of attack the messenger.... as if the message itself was relevant, pertinent or even coherent. 

War is peace.... peace is war. After 32 years in the military I can't fathom what that even means. It fits on a T-shirt though.

So does this: "fire is hot, ice is cold, water is wet"

Edited by Wolfhunter
16 hours ago, seeker said:

The ironic thing is that you could have Ben Shapiro read the exact same script while showing pictures and video of Obama winning and Clinton losing and it would make perfect sense.

Fawning adulation of Trump is cringeworthy while fawning adulation of Obama is worthy of....a Nobel Prize?

Mobs of angry Trump supporters constitutes a cult while millions of idiots in pussy-hats is perfectly legitimate.

The verifiable difference is that when fawning adulation was heaped upon Obama, he actually did something good for the U.S. people, the U.S. nation, and especially the U.S. economy.

What has trump done?

5 hours ago, deicer said:

The verifiable difference is that when fawning adulation was heaped upon Obama, he actually did something good for the U.S. people, the U.S. nation, and especially the U.S. economy.

What has trump done?

Come on now Deicer, you and I have been around here long enough to know how this goes. 

If someone was so inclined (which I'm not ATM) they could cherry-pick some things from Trump's term; some of his trade agreements, (which benefitted the US economy), some of his achievements in the middle east (which are good for world peace), his efforts to force/persuade NATO countries to pay their fair share (which is good for the American tax-payer) or some random economic data showing employment rates for a subset of the workforce and use this to argue he was better in some way than Obama. 

Regarding Obama's Peace Prize (the adulation I was referring to) - from the Nobel committee themselves;  “It is true, Obama did not do much before winning,” Lundestad, 74, a member of Norway’s Nobel Committee until 2014, told The Post. “But he represented the ideals of the committee. And when we have an American president who supports that message, we like to strengthen him.”  But the committee members took the chance out of sheer exultation that a Republican no longer resided in the White House.

Do not take this as my respect or support for Trump.  I think he was a poor choice for President.  I think Hilary would have been a poor choice and I think Biden was/is a poor choice too.  I prefer the GOP policies over the Democrat policies but my primary complaint has always been the bias in the media in how the two sides are reported on and painted by their slanted reporting.  This goes double for the late-night TV jokemen and that was my point in the previous post;  a crowd of Trump supporters is a cult while a crowd of Sanders, Biden or Clinton supporters is accepted as right and normal and not cult-like at all.  Remember now, I don't even like Trump but if you can't see the problem with having a referee who makes bad calls - even if the calls benefit your favourite team - well, that's a problem itself.

So, Obama is awarded the Peace Prize and highly praised before he does anything as an effort to support and encourage him hoping he will grow into it.  He didn't.  Contrast this with a media that would constantly tear Trump down and blame him for policies and situations that pre-existed his term gleefully hoping for his failure.  That's the difference.

Coles Notes Version...it's not going to be pretty!

" A Time of Chaos Upon Chaos Atop Chaos

There are a series of battles to come in January 2021, in 2022, and in 2024 that will be definitive, if the chaos of 2020 does not become even more chaotic."

America will weather its current hysterias. 

But the tensions and furor are reminiscent of the last generations of the Roman Republic. In its last century, Romans began to adjudicate politics by obsequious partisan town criers (their version of our media), mass demonstrations, and freelance street gangs. Looters, arsonists, and demonstrators did pretty much as they pleased in the streets of Rome without fear of legal consequences.

In our time, the media has now vanished—kaput, no more, ended. 

Within a few hours, it goes from a Ministry-of-Truth love session with Joe Biden to a steaming verbal assault on the president’s press secretary—without a shred of awareness how ridiculous they appear in their passive-aggressive schizophrenia. The only constant is that reporters unapologetically seem to jettison their principles and professionalism to calibrate what they say and do by whose politics they support. They would prefer to be entirely discredited under a Biden presidency than be real journalists during a Trump Administration.

The current unspoken subtext of the media-progressive party fusion line is the following: It would be a felonious crime should conservatives now dare to disrupt a transition in the manner that the Left did in 2016. They should not dare to sue about voting machines in key states as did the Clinton surrogate Jill Stein. They would never attempt, in 2016 fashion, to sabotage the Electoral College voting by appealing to constitutionally appointed electors, or surveille top Biden campaign and transition officials and coordinate such monitoring inside the Trump Oval Office. 

The point of the Steele dossier, the Russian collusion hoax, the calls for future impeachment even during the Trump transition, the abuse of the foreign intelligence surveillance courts and the weaponization of the FBI, CIA, and Justice Department was to weaken the Trump campaign, to disrupt the Trump transition, and to wound fatally the Trump presidency. For the architects, abettors, and enablers of those past efforts now to accuse Trump officials of adhering to what they created on a massive scale is comic.

Even more importantly, the media poorly prepared the nation for their envisioned Biden presidency. To foster that agenda, journalists have done enormous damage to the country. The bias inherent in Silicon Valley’s monopoly of the internet and social media communications was poorly disguised in efforts to aid the progressive effort. It is a matter now of only when, not if, these trusts and monopolies will be regulated and broken up.

There will still be half-hearted defenses of episodic accurate polling at the national or state level. But these pleas will be in vain, given that by and large, pollsters, as in 2016, did not just get the critical state voting wrong but predictably wrong in a predictable direction for predictable purposes. In pursuit of short-term gain, pollsters irrevocably ruined their reputations.

A frail Joe Biden was never fully vetted. Rather, he was protected and sheltered by the media. Now 330 million Americans will see whether cognitively he is up to impromptu press conferences, 18-hour days, tough negotiations with opportunistic foreign leaders, and the demands of traversing the country to rally both the country and his party adherents. A media that fed 25th Amendment hysterias during the Trump administration will have to pivot, and now declare any such talk absurd—lest Biden be subjected to the same sort of Montreal Cognitive Assessment Test that Trump aced.

The disturbing revelations about the Bidens and Burisma in October were never covered. As a result, for the duration of the Biden Administration, Hunter Biden will remain an object of scrutiny and investigation, along with many of his now angry associates who feel betrayed and are ready either to talk of their misplaced loyalty or broker ways out of their complicity. Who knows how long the media, without their ratings propped up by the Trump bogeyman, will ignore the buzz of a Biden familial syndicate—with a Kamala Harris always waiting in the wings.

So no one knows to what degree further revelations will emerge about Biden family corruption—only that all these allegations have heretofore not just been ignored but deliberately smothered by the media. And that is not a sustainable effort. The smell of scandal will linger throughout the Biden presidency. 

After the 2017 machinations to lever Robert Mueller and his dream team into power, few on the Left canever credibly decry a possible appointment of a disinterested special prosecutor to look into Hunter Biden and familial associates. If Trump were to follow in the spirit of his enemies’ own protocols, what should he do—appoint a special counsel to look into the Bidens, with a Trumpian twist of pardoning the incoming president in advance for any crimes that emerge?

But most importantly, Americans have no idea of what the latest incarnation of Joe Biden will bring. Biden gave only scripted and teleprompted bromides from his basement. The media never pressed him to be clear on issues like the China reset, the Middle-East recalibration, fracking, the Green New Deal, reparations, the wall and open borders, proposed tax increases, and on and on. 

So the country has little warning whether the Biden Administration will be guided by the hard Left agenda of Kamala Harris, “the squad,” or Senators Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) and Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.)—or stung by the rejection of progressive extremism in the congressional elections and the close presidential race enough to move to the center. 

Will Biden pursue or give up notions of ending the Electoral College, packing the court, admitting in new states, ending the Senate filibuster, neutering the Second Amendment, and other assorted radical promises? Whatever he decides will disappoint his leftwing BLM/socialist base, swing-state terrified congressional Democrats—and likely the bewildered American people.

What About the GOP?

The Republicans, too, are in disarray, at least for a few weeks. 

First, the good news is that they picked up a dozen or so House seats—when they were forecast to lose at least five more. They are in position, with luck and work, to hold the Senate. Conservatives saw Trump come within a few thousand strategically placed votes of winning the Electoral College on election night. 

Add all that up—along with the MAGA inclusion of a new middle-class Republican constituency that seeks to transcend race, and the quiet but growing public disgust at the lawlessness, violence, and racism of Antifa and BLM—and 2022 could see a repeat of the prairie-fire shake up of 2010. And this time the House Republicans would have better chances of institutionalized rather than transitory advantage.

But there are fissures in the party. The NeverTrumpers feel their efforts to sabotage Trump changed minds among white males with college degrees—the one key constituency that Trump seems to have done less well with than in 2016. And emboldened by this tiny supposed triumph, they are trying to recapture the Republican Party for an ossified McCain-Romney-Bush establishment. As they gyrate from snark to whine, they never have had any self-awareness that their case for significance would always be as polarizing to conservatives as their prior pitying admissions of irrelevance

Meanwhile Trump’s once-solid ranks may be in danger of fracturing. Half believe that not just his long-term legacy, but also his short-term utility in winning Georgia are endangered by unsubstantiated claims of a stolen “landslide” victory of a 70 percent majority and 400-some Electoral College votes. Of course, Trump supporters are furious over the weaponization of polling, and the violations of the voting laws of state legislatures that led to irregularities, controversies, and suspicious data, endemic with massive mail-in voting. But they are not assured that either episodic or systematic skullduggery automatically translates into a provable case that Trump won the election, much less won by historical proportions involving fraud of the sort never witnessed in past elections.

The other half is convinced of just such a “landslide” victory taken from Trump by computerized trickery and engineered through a vast coverup and conspiracy, again the greatest political scandal in American history.

The challenge is not only that many of the advocates of this vast corruption of computer voting—well beyond what was needed to overturn small Biden margins in the swing states—have so far not produced evidence at all commensurate with their astounding claims. Rather, the rub is also that to do so requires implicit trust that their allegations will eventually be proven accurate over weeks if not months of litigation and media frenzy—a bridge too far for most Trump supporters.

But in the world of politics and perceptions, if the Kraken is really not to be birthed as a canary, overwhelming data should be produced immediately, given the arena is not just electoral and legal but now political.

Then there remains the rendezvous with reality on January 5 in Georgia. The Republicans, despite likely being outspent, so often censored on social media, on the receiving end of traditional media and polling biases, and suspicions about the integrity of Georgia’s glitchy computerized voting systems and recent mass new registrations, can still win the two Senate races and hold the Senate, the last redoubt against the resurgence of neo-socialism. 

But that hardscrabble effort will require party unity. It will be achieved, first, by the base’s support for Trump’s three weeks of initial legitimate complaints about the will of legislatures being unconstitutionally overturned that might have had ramifications in close-call states. Yet, second, the people will also harbor simultaneous reluctance to join the current furor of his self-appointed legal team, without overwhelming evidence that a conspiracy robbed Trump of a gigantic victory, supposedly due to computer hackers, coders, leftists, foreign meddlers, corporate renegades, corrupt bureaucrats, and progressive operators acting in close concert. 

Trump the Kingmaker? 

In sum, only Trump, the Jacksonian fighter and aggrieved victim of quarantine-induced new voting protocols and often unconstitutional changes in voting protocols and methods of transparent tabulation, can rally the base to come out in January to match big money, big tech, big media, and big bureaucracy. 

If Trump can do that, hold the Senate, reunite the MAGA ranks, and abort crazy ideas about packing the court and ending the Electoral College, then he will be a virtual kingmaker for the foreseeable future. It will be his call alone whether he wants to pursue a Grover Cleveland-like second term, or institutionalize his recalibration of the Republican Party throughout future Senate, House, and local elections—or both.

But again, all that is jeopardized, if Trump’s ad hoc legal team does not produce overwhelming evidence early within a day or two of fraud unmatched in U.S. history, and instead seeks to win through elector reselection and congressional intervention—and thereby loses the people. That is not a partisan, but an empirical observation and assessment—and I accept that it will not please many fellow Trump supporters. 

Nonetheless, the American people are trending toward the Trump agenda that is winning despite the overwhelming odds against it. Even the combined efforts of Wall Street, academia, the media, Silicon Valley, the corporate boardrooms, the Washington government establishment, entertainment, and professional sports cannot beat an angry and mistreated people–if they are united.

The Trump base has won without all of the above, and will win without emulating the Left’s tactics of street brawling, mass violence, looting, and arson. Nor has it sought to undermine the federal courts, abuse the intelligence services, warp the Justice Department, or welcome the help of the retired officer corps or anonymous sleeper opponents within the bureaucracy. It was the self-righteous Obama, not the much pilloried Trump, who sought extra-legal means to monitor his opponents, weaponize the government, and likely violate the law

There are a series of battles to come in January 2021, in 2022, and in 2024. And they can be won and will be definitive, if the chaos of 2020 does not become even more chaotic.

https://amgreatness.com/2020/11/22/a-time-of-chaos-upon-chaos-atop-chaos/

About Victor Davis Hanson

Victor Davis Hanson is an American military historian, columnist, former classics professor, and scholar of ancient warfare. He was a professor of classics at California State University, Fresno, and is currently the Martin and Illie Anderson Senior Fellow at Stanford University’s Hoover Institution. He has been a visiting professor at Hillsdale College since 2004. Hanson was awarded the National Humanities Medal in 2007 by President George W. Bush. Hanson is also a farmer (growing raisin grapes on a family farm in Selma, California) and a critic of social trends related to farming and agrarianism. He is the author most recently of The Second World Wars: How the First Global Conflict was Fought and Won (Basic Books).

As Fox News breaks up with Trump, new sweethearts emerge

Mon Nov 23/ 2020 - The Globe and Mail
by John Doyle

In case you’ve forgotten, the thing to do, always, is follow the money.

This is especially true of the final outcome in the messy breakup between Fox News and outgoing U.S. President Donald Trump. It’s so messy, this breakup, it has more heartbreak and recrimination than an entire Taylor Swift album. In fact, Trump’s feelings, such as they might exist, can be summed up in Swift’s recent song Exile: “You’re not my homeland anymore/ So what am I defendin’ now?/ You were my town/ Now I’m in exile seein’ you out”.

While Swift might have a knack for metaphor to sum up a toxic relationship now demolished, Trump simply claims bitterly that Fox News ratings have collapsed. This isn’t true. He just wishes it were so, like a crybaby. You can accuse Swift of a lot, but she’s not a crybaby.

Trump has reacted to diminishing loyalty from Fox News by telling his supporters to tune in to OANN (One America News Network) and Newsmax TV. This matters for two reasons: a) the constituency of Trump voters want a venue that tells them – dangerously – that the recent election was rigged; and b) there’s a lot of money to be made from the loyalty of the MAGA crowd. Fox News generates about US$1.1-billion in ad revenue a year.

What is OANN? In existence for seven years, it is the plaything of businessman Robert Herring. It is known, if at all, for its amateurish mimicry of an actual news network, for propagating conspiracy theories – it promotes the idea that George Soros is financing everything anti-Trump, it aired a “special report” on the assertion that the novel coronavirus began as a bioweapon cooked up in a lab – and sycophantic support of the Trump administration.

OANN is an outlier with few viewers. It does not subscribe to the Nielsen ratings system. Nielsen, for its part, estimates OANN has viewers in the mere thousands. Go to the OANN website and you find exhortations to call cable and satellite providers and demand that they carry OANN. Few carriers are interested, so far, it seems. Still, OANN soldiers on, pro-Trump. Owner Herring put this on Twitter last week: “Why is Biden still trying to act like he’s going to be president when he knows the Dem cheating has been uncovered?”

Newsmax TV is not in the business of spreading crackpot conspiracy theories, unless you’re talking about a rigged election that needs to be investigated. It is all-in, supporting the claims of Rudy Giuliani and other Trump lawyers, that Trump won by a landslide and only a massive fraud made Joe Biden seem the winner. It is giving tons of airtime to Trump’s legal team.

By the way, you can find Newsmax TV online in Canada and watch its livestream. There’s another outfit called “Newsmax Canada” which carries a lot of CBC.ca news stories. Obviously, this is not the pro-Trump Newsmax TV.

Newsmax is no outlier and stands to become a major player, a favourite of the MAGA nation. Established by right-wing journalist Christopher Ruddy, a guy with many connections to the Republican establishment, it was established in 2014, via DirectTV and Dish Network. It has 35 million subscribers and a slick digital presence. Overshadowed by Fox News, it rarely registered more than 200,000 viewers (Fox can go as high as 4.1 million), but recently it saw hours where it had more than a million viewers.

There are a couple of other interesting developments at Newsmax TV. It has begun to attack Fox News. On Friday, it berated Fox for calling Giuliani “a liar” after that bizarre news conference last week, and it has promoted Trump lawyer Sidney Powell’s disdain for Tucker Carlson. Also, it has Mike Huckabee, previously a Fox News host, onboard as a pundit, and it hired former White House press secretary Sean Spicer to host a show.

Obviously, Newsmax TV is presenting itself as the new Fox News. It is ready to move from the fringe to being the focus of MAGA attention. Now, obviously, it is highly hazardous to American democracy to have a near-mainstream broadcaster telling its viewers that the 2020 presidential election was a fraud and Biden is an illegitimate president. But Newsmax TV wants viewers, ratings and ad dollars. Follow the money: When the MyPillow guy is advertising all over Newsmax, we’ll know the battle for MAGA voters is over.

Meanwhile, that messy breakup plays out. on Friday morning’s Fox & Friends, Geraldo Rivera suggested naming the COVID-19 vaccine after Trump, on the grounds that Trump needs to feel good right now: “With the world so divided and everybody telling him he’s got to give up and it’s time to leave and time to transition and all the rest of it, why not name the vaccine ‘The Trump.’” Oh, Geraldo, trying to be the good guy in the breakup, with his parting gift. Even though he’s the one doing the dumping. Swift surely has songs about that.

Election must be over....Hmmnnnnnn

New York Governor Andrew Cuomo defended President Donald J. Trump this week as the three-term Democratic governor indicated the media did not treat the president with the respect that the office commands.

Cuomo said during an interview with WAMC radio Monday that the press has taken on a “nastier tone,” which he has noticed at his press conferences and all across the nation, describing a “disrespect that never existed.”

“The way they question President Trump at some of these press conferences is just – I’ve never heard that tone with the president,” Cuomo said.

When asked by WAMC's Alan Chartock whether the president “deserved it,” Cuomo said there is supposed to be a “decorum” to the institution – indicating that even if you do not like a person, you still respect the institution he or she represents.

“There are reporters who just are unprofessional, don’t know the facts and ask really biased questions,” Cuomo explained. “You want to say ‘well I don’t like the president and I disrespect him,’ I know but it’s still the office of the president.” 

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ny-gov-cuomo-stands-with-trump-on-media-says-news-organizations-dont-show-respect?fbclid=IwAR08OhalzQMk51_3SYqyUNlCojh0KTEteHDITpLN1TGcJXXH6XzD_nO-iL4

Fox went legit, now you have to watch out for this purveyor of fake news...

https://www.axios.com/youtube-temporarily-suspends-demonetizes-oann-420e8ea9-66c1-4eab-9754-6e3b708483c9.html

YouTube temporarily suspends, demonetizes OANN

YouTube has barred One America News Network from posting new videos for a week and stripped it of its ability to make money off existing content after the Trump-friendly channel uploaded a video promoting a phony cure for COVID-19, YouTube spokesperson Ivy Choi tells Axios.

Why it matters: YouTube has been criticized for allowing OANN to spread misinformation using its platform, particularly around coronavirus and the election. This marks the Google-owned service's first crackdown against OANN.

Details: OANN's one-week suspension from posting new videos or livestreams is the result of a "strike" YouTube issued for violating its COVID-19 misinformation policy, which prohibits saying there is a guaranteed cure to the virus. YouTube took down the video that triggered the strike.

• OANN is also suspended from the YouTube Partner Program, which means if it wants to monetize its videos again, it will have to re-apply.
  • YouTube has a three-strikes policy before an account is terminated. This is OANN's first strike, but it has violated the platform's COVID-19 misinformation policy before, meaning it gets no more warnings if it breaks the rules again — just additional strikes.
  • YouTube says it does not consider OANN an authoritative news source.

The big picture: YouTube, like other platforms, has grown more willing to take action against conservative-leaning accounts that spread misinformation. It has also been trying to provide greater visibility to legitimate news outlets.

• A quartet of Democratic senators sent a letter Tuesday to YouTube CEO Susan Wojcicki pressing her company to do more to stem the tide of election misinformation.
  • Posting videos that make false claims about election results isn't against YouTube's rules.

The other side: Trump and his allies have urged followers to tune into alternative news sources such as OANN and Newsmax that have questioned Joe Biden's victory, eschewing Fox News, which they feel has gone soft.

Here's a good resource for fact checking...

https://answers.library.american.edu/faq/282165

Q. What are reliable sources for fact-checking and recognizing "fake news"?

Fact Checking websites:

Ten fact- and bias-checking sites (Source: iste.org):

Fact Check. This nonpartisan, nonprofit project of the Annenberg Public Policy Center of the University of Pennsylvania monitors the factual accuracy of what is said by U.S. political players, including politicians, TV ads, debates, interviews and news releases.

Media Matters. This nonprofit and self-described liberal-leaning research center monitors and corrects conservative misinformation in the media.

NewsBusters. A project of the conservative Media Research Center with a right-wing bias, NewsBusters is focused on “documenting, exposing and neutralizing liberal media bias.”

Open Secrets. This nonpartisan, independent and nonprofit website run by the Center for Responsive Politics tracks how much and where candidates get their money.

Politifact. This Pulitzer Prize winning website rates the accuracy of claims by elected officials. Run by editors and reporters from the independent newspaper Tampa Bay Times, Politicfact features the Truth-O-Meter that rates statements as “True,” “Mostly True,” “Half True,” “False,” and “Pants on Fire.”

ProPublica. This independent, nonprofit newsroom has won several Pulitzer Prizes, including the 2016 Prize for Explanatory Reporting. ProPublica produces investigative journalism in the public interest.

Snopes. This independent, nonpartisan website run by professional researcher and writer David Mikkelson researches urban legends and other rumors. It is often the first to set the facts straight on wild fake news claims.

The Sunlight Foundation. This nonpartisan, nonprofit organization uses public policy data-based journalism to make politics more transparent and accountable.

Washington Post Fact Checker. Although the Washington Post has a left-center bias, its checks are excellent and sourced. The bias shows up because they fact check conservative claims more than liberal ones.

Websites also of interest:

AllSides. While not a fact-checking site, AllSides curates stories from right, center and left-leaning media so that readers can easily compare how bias influences reporting on each topic.