Why You Need Trusted News Sources

• Replies 832
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not defending Trump or his policies, but at least the Potus has open access by the press...he may answer, he may ignore them, he may tell the to F off, but at least he has the guts to be in front

Now we all have to quit quoting him so we never have to see a post from him.

I got gas today and the sticker was only in French... I dont read french.   The next pump was in french as well.  I live in the GTA.  Who do I sue?  

Posted Images

Large US cities are on the way to experiencing the perfect storm. There are parallels with Rome for those who care to extrapolate a bit, circumstances are always different but overall, there are trends that need correcting and now is the time to correct them. It's never one thing, always three or more and always at the same time. Here's my count of some top contenders.... more are simmering, like potential supply chain malfunctions that make the toilet paper thing look humorous. This is a short list, I have to run:

- Toxic political environment with unprecedented polarization

- Racial tensions, huge income inequality and an underlying fiscal desperation (based on need) to increase the tax base

- Large exodus (which may or may not accelerate) leading to lower tax revenues at a time of massive budget shortfalls

- increasing crime coincident with huge policing budget cuts (more are promised) and naked fear leading people to act precipitously.... especially the high wage earners who can easily afford to flee a city that can't afford to lose them

- a global pandemic with unprecedented economic impact coupled with the credible threat of a second wave (and the possibly of more deadly strains to come)

- A contentious election pending with the push toward mail in voting by jurisdictions that can't manage to fill pot holes in a credible fashion; giving rise to the potential for massive voter fraud and election violence. Mail trucks will be torched, fake ballots will explode, delays will compound and results will be viewed askance by both sides. 

- specialized, targeted and effective propaganda that now borders (IMO) on information warfare along party lines to incite the masses against each other at a time when unity and moderation is the only recipe for avoiding a mess. 

Some canaries, in some coal mines are already distressed and covered in black dust. Instead of being taken seriously, they are being accused of wearing black face and are subject to penalties for hate crimes. Unsustainable by any measure... and that's the only measure that really matters.

Some are taking note.... not enough though

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6181855743001#sp=show-clips

Edited by Wolfhunter

You do realize Fox is doing it's part to keep you fearful?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201612/fear-and-anxiety-drive-conservatives-political-attitudes

Fear and Anxiety Drive Conservatives' Political Attitudes

Can brain differences explain conservatives' fear-driven political stances?

Peer-reviewed research shows that conservatives are generally more sensitive to threat. While this threat-bias can distort reality, fuel irrational fears, and make one more vulnerable to fear-mongering politicians, it could also promote hypervigilance, perhaps making one better prepared to handle an immediate threat.

1. Conservatives tend to focus on the negative.

In a 2012 study, liberal and conservative participants were shown collages of negative and positive images on a computer screen while their eye movements were recorded. While liberals were quicker to look at pleasant images, like a happy child or a cute bunny rabbit, conservatives tended to behave oppositely. They’d first inspect threatening and disturbing pictures—things like car wrecks, spiders on faces, and open wounds crawling with maggots—and would also tend to dwell on them for longer.

This is what psychologists call a “negativity bias.” If you think about it, this makes sense. When attention is biased toward the negative, the result is an overly threat-conscious appraisal of one’s surroundings. To many conservatives, the world may look like a much scarier place. This would seem to explain why so many major conservative viewpoints tend to be rooted in fear—fear of the president, immigrants, vaccinations, etc.

2. Conservatives have a stronger physiological response to threats.

A 2008 study published in the journal Science found that conservatives have a stronger physiological response to startling noises and graphic images. This adds to a growing body of research that indicates a hypersensitivity to threat—a hallmark of anxiety. But why exactly would those who scare more easily tend to support conservative views?

One social psychologist from the University of Central Arkansas, Paul Nail, has a pretty interesting answer: “Conservatism, apparently, helps to protect people against some of the natural difficulties of living. The fact is we don’t live in a completely safe world. Things can and do go wrong. But if I can impose this order on it by my worldview, I can keep my anxiety to a manageable level.” This could explain the two parties’ different stances on gun control. It makes sense that those who startle more easily are also the ones that believe they need to own a gun.

3. Conservatives fear new experiences.

2008 study cataloged items found in the bedrooms of college students and saw that while liberals owned more books and travel-related items, conservatives had more things that kept order in their lives, like calendars and cleaning supplies.

This suggests that liberals more often seek adventure and novel experiences. Conservatives, on the other hand, may prefer a more ordered, disciplined lifestyle. This could help explain why they can be resistant to change and progressive policies.

4. Conservatives’ brains are more reactive to fear.

Using MRI, scientists from University College London have found that students who identify themselves as conservatives have a larger amygdala than self-described liberals. This brain structure is involved in emotion processing, and it's especially reactive to fearful stimuli. It is possible that an oversized amygdala could create a heightened sensitivity that may cause one to habitually overreact to anything that appears to be a potential threat, whether it actually is one or not. This disproportionate fear response could explain how, for example, Bush’s administration was able to gather wide public support amongst conservatives for invading Iraq. Maybe if they said the phrase “weapons of mass destruction” enough times, it wouldn’t matter whether they existed or not.

Empirical evidence suggests that conservatives and liberals don’t just have different outlooks and opinions—they also have different brains. This means that our choice of political affiliation and overall worldview may not really be all that much of a choice. Still, we must work to understand these psychological and biological distinctions so that we can ultimately use this knowledge to work together and find middle ground. Such information may also make us less vulnerable to those who want to exploit these dispositions for their own selfish agendas by using tactics like fear-mongering.

Furthermore, knowing why someone is the way they are can help us to be more tolerant and patient with one another. But we must also be honest about the situation. When important choices are being made based on gut instinct rather than logical reasoning, it is everyone’s responsibility to point this out so that it doesn’t result in catastrophe.

20 minutes ago, deicer said:

You do realize Fox is doing it's part to keep you fearful?

https://www.psychologytoday.com/ca/blog/mind-in-the-machine/201612/fear-and-anxiety-drive-conservatives-political-attitudes

Fear and Anxiety Drive Conservatives' Political Attitudes

If so I guess they are trying to catch up with CNN, but the article you quote does not mention FOX.  Are you posting Fake News?   😀>   Also if you check the definition of a "Conservative" they are not necessarily only people who vote for a party which may be Labeled at Conservative. 

image.png.a91c988a5de0cb916d2541abc487a4db.png

conservative
[kənˈsərvədiv]

ADJECTIVE
conservative (adjective) · Conservative (adjective)
  1. averse to change or innovation and holding traditional values.
    "they were very conservative in their outlook"
    synonyms:
    traditionalist · traditional · conventional · orthodox · stable · old-fashioned · dyed-in-the-wool · unchanging · hidebound · cautious · prudent · careful · safe · timid · unadventurous · unenterprising · set in one's ways · moderate · middle-of-the-road · temperate · stick in the mud
    antonyms:
  2. (in a political context) favoring free enterprise, private ownership, and socially traditional ideas.Often contrasted with liberal.
    antonyms:
    • relating to the Conservative Party in the UK or a similar party elsewhere.
      "the Conservative government"
  3. (of an estimate) purposely low for the sake of caution.
    "the film was not cheap—$30,000 is a conservative estimate"
    synonyms:
    low · cautious · understated · unexaggerated · moderate · reasonable
  4. (of surgery or medical treatment) intended to control rather than eliminate a condition, with existing tissue preserved as far as possible.
NOUN
conservative (noun) · conservatives (plural noun) · Conservative (noun) · Conservatives (plural noun)
  1. a person who is averse to change and holds traditional values.
    "he was considered a conservative in his approach to Catholic teachings"
    synonyms:
  2. a person favoring free enterprise, private ownership, and socially traditional ideas.Often contrasted with liberal.
    "the Massachusetts liberal who conservatives love to hate"
    • a supporter or member of the Conservative Party in the UK or a similar party elsewhere.
2 hours ago, Marshall said:

If so I guess they are trying to catch up with CNN, but the article you quote does not mention FOX.  Are you posting Fake News?   😀>   Also if you check the definition of a "Conservative" they are not necessarily only people who vote for a party which may be Labeled at Conservative. 

Indeed. And CNN is ignoring the whole thing. Their commitment to partisan politics has cost them dearly as a result and ironically, FOX's Tucker Carlson has the highest rated program in cable news history.... 

As to deicer's notion of being fearful, New York is predominantly a liberal democratic stronghold.... they are clearly the ones who are afraid and they don't see their own reality being reflected in the likes of CNN. They may also be afraid of the election result, it has the potential to be violent now no matter who wins. So, they may be liberal by nature, as am I (believe it or not), but they have eyes to see and ears to hear. They don't like the visuals they see with their own eyes, or the chants they hear with their own ears, they are voting with their feet, and they resent having people tell them those fears are nothing more than conservative talking points. In other words, they aren't stupid; it isn't Christian conservative farmers fleeing New York in a panic it's liberals. Same deal with California.

So, if other liberals (mostly with no skin in the game) are suggesting that those fears are groundless and the result of sound bites on FOX , then it's them who haven't been keeping up.... too much CNN or too much narrative, I say too much of both and a lack of worldly experience and/or knowledge of history to boot.

Back when I voted liberal, concern over the safety and welfare of those unable to fend for themselves was what I thought liberal values were all about. For some, those values shaped careers and even influenced hobbies. Something has changed here, damn sure it wasn't me. In fact, I now see nothing of myself or my values reflected in the liberal party here or the democratic party there. 

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 2

If I was a US Democratic voter, this would scare me. (Why is he avoiding the press, not competent to handle questions or ? )

Published 19 mins ago

Study finds Trump took 700% more questions than Biden over month-long period

Former vice president failed to appear on any Sunday shows on eve of Democratic convention

President Trump has taken 555 more questions from reporters than presumptive 2020 Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden since mid-July as pressure mounts for the former vice president to face the media, according to a new study.

Biden has been criticized for weeks for declining to sit down with reporters for unscripted interviews, with everyone from far-left CNN pundits to “Fox News Sunday” host Chris Wallace questioning his decision to avoid the press. The campaign’s decision to largely skip Sunday morning political programs on the eve of the Democratic National Convention has drawn more attention to the strategy -- and the Washington Examiner reviewed coverage to determine how much more accessible Trump is than Biden.

BIDEN TALKS TO CARDI B AS PRESSURE MOUNTS TO FACE TOUGH QUESTIONS FROM REPORTERS

“A review of interviews, transcripts, and videos shows that since mid-July, Trump has taken 635 questions from the media and Biden just 80, an 8-1 divide,” Washington Examiner columnist Paul Bedard wrote Monday in a piece headlined, “Clammed up: Trump takes 700% more questions than Biden in one month.”

“During a 28-day stretch from July 19 to Aug. 15, Trump took questions on 24 days, skipping just two weekends, while Biden took questions on 13 days,” Bedard added. “And 41 of the questions he [Biden] faced over the period came in a prerecorded interview via his computer with the National Association of Black Journalists and the National Association of Hispanic Journalists.”

Biden took questions on Monday, but they came from rapper Cardi B as opposed to a credentialted journalist.

President Trump touched the topic earlier on Monday, claiming he “has no choice” but to campaign during the Democratic National Convention because Biden receives preferential treatment from the mainstream media.

“We have a guy that doesn’t come out of his basement and the media covers [for him],” the president said on during a phone interview on “Fox & Friends.”

“When they ask me questions, I have these people, there is fire out of their eyes ... they’re asking me questions and I see the fire is burning in their eyes,” Trump said. “I look at some of them and say, ‘Boy, how can you have so much hatred?’”

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

"We have a guy that doesn’t come out of his basement and the media covers [for him]”

That's the issue right there IMO.

I think it's what makes the entire Russian election interference argument so bogus. The only election interference on full display is that coming from the main stream media outlets. None of this mess was the result of action by a foreign enemy, it was self contained, self inflicted and now that IEDs are in play, has potentially become self sustaining and long term.

The emergence of bombs and IEDs usually signifies a shift in attitude, intent and resolve....the products of targeted propaganda now gone too far. This was a small one but fear not, they get bigger with time.

Portland police investigating possible explosive detonated downtown

Edited by Wolfhunter

I was never a fan before but this guy has bloomed of late and he's exactly right. 

https://video.foxnews.com/v/6181986306001#sp=show-clips

Now, go to the CNN web page and see if there is any coverage of protest violence.... or, I can save you the bother, there is none.

Lost on many people is the reality of how fast things can go so badly wrong and how long and difficult the road back to normalcy is as a result of it. This is the perfect amalgamation (collision is a better word) of influences all at the same time.

Now, think pilot shortage (the ex RCAF folks get this, there were 2x pilot FRPs). When you can't out train the attrition you lose ground, next is lock point closely followed by the complete inability to recover, further attrition follows (due to higher workload) and the collapse of operational capability looms large....tempo cannot be maintained.

It can literally take decades to recover and the RCAF has yet to fix the problem they created (themselves) in 1995.

Chicago police are retiring at twice the normal rate: report

At least 110 police officers are retiring in August and September

Edited by Wolfhunter

Headline from National Post:

St. Louis couple charged for pointing guns at protesters will endorse Trump at GOP convention

The headline should read:

St. Louis couple who used lawfully owned firearms to defend their lives and property against a violent mob will endorse Trump

• Thanks 1
Posted (edited)

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/akzqkk/trump-said-qanon-believers-who-think-hes-fighting-satan-just-love-our-country

Trump Said Qanon Believers Who Think He’s Fighting Satan Just 'Love Our Country'

"I don’t know much about the movement, other than that I understand they like me very much, which I appreciate," he said.

President Trump praised believers of the far-out Qanon conspiracy theory, who think Trump is fighting a Satanic cult of pedophiles, and said he really appreciates how much they like him.

Never mind that the FBI recently warned in an internal memo that the movement looks like a burgeoning domestic terrorist threat, and that it’s strange ideas could spur its members “to carry out criminal or violent acts.” To Trump, they’re just a bunch of groovy Trump fans.

Edited by deicer

Fox News now openly calling trump a conspiracy theorist...

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/wxqyaw/trump-just-went-full-qanon-in-a-fox-news-interview

Trump Just Went Full QAnon in a Fox News Interview

Even Laura Ingraham called Trump's claims a "conspiracy theory."

President Donald Trump’s latest unfounded claims were so unhinged that even a Fox News host called them a “conspiracy theory.”

In an interview with Laura Ingraham broadcast on Monday night, Trump made multiple baseless claims about his opponent Joe Biden being controlled by a shadowy group of people who were funding the protests that have rocked the U.S. in recent months.  

And experts believe that Trump’s wild claims, which lack any level of detail, will fuel multiple conspiracy theories, including QAnon.

Speaking about law and order, a topic that has become central to his re-election bid, Trump said that Biden was weak and that he was being “controlled like a puppet” by a group he referred to cryptically as “they.”

Trump said that Biden was being controlled by "people that you've never heard of. People that are in the dark shadows. They're people that are in the streets, they're people that are controlling the streets.”

Trump claimed the unrest in Portland, where protesters have demonstrated and clashed with police for more than three months, was being fomented by protesters who were being paid by this shadowy group. 

The president added that funding for a “revolution” is coming from “very stupid rich people that have no idea that if their thing ever succeeded, which it won't, they would be thrown to the wolves like never before.”

The baseless claims were so wild that even Ingraham, who is a staunch supporter of the president, responded: “That sounds like a conspiracy theory.”

But that didn’t deter the president.

Instead, he went on to allege that a planeload of “thugs” had been flown to an unspecified location to cause trouble.

“We had somebody get on a plane from a certain city this weekend. And in the plane, it was almost completely loaded with thugs, wearing these dark uniforms, black uniforms, with gear and this and that,“ Trump said, adding: “A lot of the people were on the plane to do big damage.”

When asked for more details about the plane, Trump declined to comment, saying the situation was under investigation. “I’ll tell you sometime,” Trump said.

Trump also said that the people who were funding groups like Black Lives Matter — which he called “a Marxist organization” — were “just stupid foolish people that made a lot of money.”

Trump has long embraced and boosted various conspiracy theories, most recently giving tacit approval of the QAnon conspiracy.

Following Trump’s comments on Monday night, some QAnon believers hailed his comments as further proof their theory that a shadowy group of elites is working to undermine the U.S. president was true.

But conspiracy theory researcher Travis View pointed out that Trump’s comments were vague enough to appeal to those following all manner of conspiracy theories.

“He's a hairsbreadth away from just pushing Illuminati, Freemasonry, and Rothschild conspiracy theories,” View tweeted. “Trump kept the identity of the ‘shadowy’ enemy vague, so conspiracy theorists can fill it with their favorite villain. Some choose China, the Deep State, or ‘Elites.’ Though some prefer the stronger antisemitic twang of ‘banking families.’”

Earlier on Monday, Trump defended Kyle Rittenhouse, who allegedly shot two protesters to death in Kenosha, Wisconsin by suggesting the 17-year-old Trump supporter was just acting in self-defense.

And in his interview with Ingraham, the president offered an excuse for why a police officer shot Jacob Blake in the back seven times, comparing the act to missing a putt in golf.

“Shooting the guy in the back many times, I mean, couldn't you have done something different, couldn't you have wrestled him?" Trump said. "In the meantime, he could have been going for a weapon and, you know, there's a whole big thing there but in the meantime, they choke. Just like in a golf tournament, they miss a 3-foot putt."

John Bolton denies claim Trump disparaged fallen American soldiers in France: 'Simply false'

'The main issue was whether or not weather conditions permitted the president to go'

John Bolton reacts to report claiming Trump called fallen soldiers 'losers' and 'suckers'

Trump denies claim he made disparaging remarks; 'The Room Where It Happened' author John Bolton reacts.

Former national security adviser John Bolton disputed the main thesis of The Atlantic's recent report alleging that President Trump disparaged fallen American soldiers in France, calling the claim "simply false" in an appearance on "The Story" Monday.

"According to what that article said, the president made disparaging remarks about soldiers and people buried in the cemetery in connection with the decision for him not to go to the ceremony that was planned that afternoon, and that was simply false," Bolton said.

BOLTON'S MEMOIR UNDERCUTS ATLANTIC CLAIMS

"I don't know who told the author that, but that was false."

The president canceled the planned 2018 trip to the cemetery for American war dead in France because of the weather and not because of disdain for the slain soldiers, Bolton said, contradicting the report from The Atlantic claiming that Trump described the Aisne-Marne American Cemetery as being "filled with losers.""I don't know who told the author that, but that was false."

— John Bolton, 'The Story'

"The main issue was whether or not weather conditions permitted the president to go out to the cemetery," Bolton, who was in the room at the time, recalled.

SOURCES DISPUTE CLAIM TRUMP NIXED VISIT TO MILITARY CEMETERY OVER DISDAIN FOR SLAIN VETERANS, BUT BACK UP PARTS OF ATLANTIC REPORT

Former Chief of Staff John Kelly presented "logistical reasons why the trip couldn't take place and the president assented to the recommendation that he not go," Bolton explained.

Trump "sort of took the facts as they were," Bolton said, calling the canceled trip a "very straight weather call."Video

Trump and the White House have vehemently denied the article and slammed the claims as "a hoax." Two sources who were on the trip in question with Trump also denied the legitimacy of the claims.

But two former senior Trump administration officials told Fox News that while Trump did not disparage the war dead at buried at Aisne-Marne, he has disparaged veterans in the past. One said Trump had used the term “sucker” to refer to Americans who fought in Vietnam, a claim Bolton said he wouldn't put past the president.

DEMOCRATS PROJECT CAMPAIGN MESSAGES ON TRUMP HOTEL IN DC AFTER ATLANTIC REPORT

"I can’t prove the negative that he never said those things," Bolton told host Martha MacCallum. "The president has a habit of disparaging people. He ends up denigrating almost everybody that he comes in contact with whose last name is not Trump."

"I was simply responding to what I thought the main point of the Atlantic article that at the critical point Saturday morning when the decision was made not to go to Aisne-Marne that he made the disparaging remarks," Bolton said, "and he did not."

Fox News' Marisa Schultz and Paul Steinhauser contributed to this report.

• 2 weeks later...

Facebook Censors Tucker Carlson for ‘False News’

Facebook has restricted the page of Tucker Carlson, the most popular cable news host in the country, smearing the Fox News host as sharing “false news.”

Carlson posted a picture of a message his page received from Facebook, informing the owners that the page now has “reduced distribution and other restrictions because of repeated sharing of false news. People will also be able to see if a Page has a history of sharing false news.”

Facebook did not specify in its message what the alleged “false news” consisted of, or whether the restrictions would be lifted before the election.

“Today’s censorship by Facebook” said Carlson, in response. “It’s no coincidence that the election is just weeks away.

This comes amid growing pressure on Facebook from the corporate media, which allegesthat conservative media dominates the platform.
Edited by Jaydee