Why You Need Trusted News Sources

1 hour ago, Jaydee said:

One would have thought they might have learned something from their last failure.

That to me, this is the most breathtaking part of it and I say that without even trying to predict (or even care about) the outcome. As I've said many times, my interest here is purely tactical.... it's so cool (at least for me) to watch history come alive.

The choices in the US are simply too stark and too visceral to be healthy for their democracy; and whatever the result actually is, the chaos that follows will prove challenging for defunded police forces across the country to deal with.  

When taking the mood of a country and determining the level of fear, the MBA crew will look at leading indicators, GDP vs debt and the like. Simple soldiers look at things like gun sales and the backlog of pending background checks. 

Had I suggested 2 years ago that a serious pandemic would shutdown most of the world and that riots would flourish and further spread the virus, everyone on this forum would have laughed at me. To have chaos really gain traction though, these things need to come in threes and fours and they need to be simultaneous... Flight Safety Officers can tell you all about it.

Consider a pandemic, wide scale looting, rioting and civil disobedience, a contentious election looming, and decreased security capability all at the same time. I would then invite you to add one more serious element in the form of a national disaster that would serve to tax resources to the limits during good times.... EMP, power grid failure, destructive earthquake, the rise of a serious and active domestic terrorism group, asteroid strike, you name it.

Since this is an aviation forum, I'll suggest that rolling the dice is not something simple soldiers generally approve of and that sentiment is widely shared by most Flight Safety Officers, ICPs, TRIs, TREs, and QFIs. Students who start off with that level of complacency either learn a bit of respect, get CT'd or hurt themselves grievously. There may be other options in there somewhere.... but they certainly aren't the accomplishment of the masses.

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Replies 829
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not defending Trump or his policies, but at least the Potus has open access by the press...he may answer, he may ignore them, he may tell the to F off, but at least he has the guts to be in front

Now we all have to quit quoting him so we never have to see a post from him.

The only Rock I see here is the heads of the people that think a single news source provides anything but biased reporting. most of the american news outlets are owned by a single company with a

Posted Images

It's getting trickier.....

https://nationalpost.com/news/world/deepfake-used-to-attack-activist-couple-shows-new-disinformation-frontier/wcm/72e073fe-ef7c-4e73-86c7-1391c4ac6a4b/

Deepfake used to attack activist couple shows new disinformation frontier

WASHINGTON — Oliver Taylor, a student at England’s University of Birmingham, is a twenty-something with brown eyes, light stubble, and a slightly stiff smile.

Online profiles describe him as a coffee lover and politics junkie who was raised in a traditional Jewish home. His half dozen freelance editorials and blog posts reveal an active interest in anti-Semitism and Jewish affairs, with bylines in the Jerusalem Post and the Times of Israel.

His university says it has no record of him. He has no obvious online footprint beyond an account on the question-and-answer site Quora, where he was active for two days in March. Two newspapers that published his work say they have tried and failed to confirm his identity. And experts in deceptive imagery used state-of-the-art forensic analysis programs to determine that Taylor’s profile photo is a hyper-realistic forgery – a “deepfake.”

Who is behind Taylor isn’t known to Reuters. Calls to the U.K. phone number he supplied to editors drew an automated error message and he didn’t respond to messages left at the Gmail address he used for correspondence.

Reuters was alerted to Taylor by London academic Mazen Masri, who drew international attention in late 2018 when he helped launch an Israeli lawsuit against the surveillance company NSO on behalf of alleged Mexican victims of the company’s phone hacking technology.

‘A VENTRILOQUIST’S DUMMY’

The Taylor persona is a rare in-the-wild example of a phenomenon that has emerged as a key anxiety of the digital age: The marriage of deepfakes and disinformation.

The threat is drawing increasing concern in Washington and Silicon Valley. Last year House Intelligence Committee chairman Adam Schiff warned that computer-generated video could “turn a world leader into a ventriloquist’s dummy.” Last month Facebook announced the conclusion of its Deepfake Detection Challenge – a competition intended to help researchers automatically identify falsified footage. Last week online publication The Daily Beast revealed a network of deepfake journalists – part of a larger group of bogus personas seeding propaganda online.

Deepfakes like Taylor are dangerous because they can help build “a totally untraceable identity,” said Dan Brahmy, whose Israel-based startup Cyabra specializes in detecting such images.

Brahmy said investigators chasing the origin of such photos are left “searching for a needle in a haystack – except the needle doesn’t exist.”

Taylor appears to have had no online presence until he started writing articles in late December. The University of Birmingham said in a statement it could not find “any record of this individual using these details.” Editors at the Jerusalem Post and The Algemeiner say they published Taylor after he pitched them stories cold over email. He didn’t ask for payment, they said, and they didn’t take aggressive steps to vet his identity.

Will the Trudeau Star actually becomes a reliable news outlet once again? ....or will the only reliable news outlet left in Canada .... Postmedia.... be swallowed up into the bundle of news outlets controlled by Ottawa?

My greatest fear is the latter.

Toronto Star takeover clears competition hurdle

Canada’s Competition Bureau has cleared a proposed takeover of Torstar Corp., even though it’s being financed by a firm that also backs rival newspaper owner Postmedia Network Inc.

Torstar, the owner of the Toronto Star and other Canadian newspapers, accepted a $60 million (US$44 million) takeover offer from NordStar Capital LP on July 11, with the deal financed by Canso Investment Counsel Ltd. Canso is also a major debtholder of Postmedia, which owns a chain of newspapers across Canada including the National Post.

https://financialpost.com/news/fp-street/toronto-star-takeover-clears-competition-hurdle?utm_medium=Social&utm_source=Facebook#Echobox=1594986887

Jonathan Turley calls out CNN's 'telling moment of dissonance' amid unrelenting anti-Trump coverage

Tapper fact-checked colleagues after McEnany criticism

George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley praised CNN’s Jake Tapper Friday for fact-checking his colleague Jim Acosta, writing in a blistering column that the liberal network needs more of these moments if it wants to be seen again as “honest and objective."

“There was a telling moment of dissonance on CNN this week, a network that is now unrelenting in its negative and highly partisan coverage of the Administration,” Turley wrote.

CNN’S JAKE TAPPER FACT-CHECKS COLLEAGUE JIM ACOSTA 

George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley praised CNN’s Jake Tapper Friday for fact-checking his colleague Jim Acosta.

George Washington University law professor Jonathan Turley praised CNN’s Jake Tapper Friday for fact-checking his colleague Jim Acosta.

“Acosta has been repeatedly called out for such bias and sent out a clearly misleading tweet bashing White House press secretary Kayleigh McEnany. Meanwhile, CNN host Jake Tapper set the record straight in fairness to McEnany,” Turley wrote, noting that “it is often impossible to distinguish CNN hosts from advocates on their programs.”

“I truly miss the old CNN. The loss to journalism is immense.  Indeed, if anything, it may be driving people to Trump.” 

— Jonathan Turley

During a press briefing on Thursday, McEnany reiterated President Trump's strong stance on wanting children to be going back to school in the fall amid a fiery debate about how educators can prevent the spread of the coronavirus outbreak.

"The science should not stand in the way of this, but as Dr. Scott Atlas said -- I thought this was a good quote, 'Of course, we can do it. Everyone else in the Western world, our peer nations are doing it. We are the outlier here,'" McEnany said, quoting the former Stanford Medical Center neurology chief.

CNN'S JIM ACOSTA BLASTED FOR TAKING KAYLEIGH MCENANY OUT OF CONTEXT IN VIRAL TWEET

"The science is very clear on this. For example, you look at the JAMA pediatric study of 46 pediatric hospitals in North America that said the risk of critical illness from COVID is far less for children than the seasonal flu. The science is on our side here. We encourage localities and states to just simply follow the science. Open our schools," she continued.

Acosta tweeted about what McEnany said by suggesting she was anti-science, with an out-of-context quote.

"The White House Press Secretary on Trump's push to reopen schools: 'The science should not stand in the way of this,'" the liberal reporter tweeted.

Acosta later added, "McEnany went on to say 'the science is on our side here.'"

CUOMO FIRES BACK AT CNN'S JAKE TAPPER FOR KNOCKING POSTER TOUTING NY'S COVID RESPONSE

“That was clearly and absolutely false. However, Acosta knew that it would play well in the eco-journalistic model adopted by CNN.  He quickly racked up 30,000 retweets,” Turley wrote. “He then later added that McEnany actually meant the opposite. That received less than 700 retweets. It is the ultimate example of demand of many viewers to only hear news that supports their own bias and adds to a type of journalistic comfort zone.”

Without directly addressing Acosta's tweet, Tapper slammed the spread of the distorted quote urging everyone to "read the ENTIRE McEnany comment."

Turley took this as a clear shot at Acosta, who has emerged as a household name by sparring with Trump and members of his administration on a regular basis.

“While I have occasionally criticized Tapper, I have more often praised him for his professionalism and intellect. This is why. This is what CNN was once and, with the help of figures like Tapper, it could be again: an honest and objective news organization,” Turley wrote.

Turley wrote many of his friends who work for CNN “privately lament” the network’s anti-Trump agenda.

“It is often impossible to distinguish CNN hosts from advocates on their programs. Hosts now engage in open advocacy against the President — discarding with the pretense of having a guest take a partisan position,” Turley wrote. “I truly miss the old CNN. The loss to journalism is immense.  Indeed, if anything, it may be driving people to Trump.”

Fox News’ Joseph A. Wulfsohn contributed to this report

Why I'm leaving the National Post

" It’s been two decades since my first byline appeared in the National Post. For a woman who already was well into middle age when her career began, the experience has been a thrill and a privilege. Perhaps more importantly, it’s been lively, energizing and fun. The National Post was conceived in 1998 as a safe haven from the stale pieties that dominated (and still dominate) the legacy Canadian media. Unfortunately, the spirit now has gone out of the place. And I’ve decided to step away from my regular column, at least for now. I’ve been noticing for a while that much of the best writing about Canada is increasingly taking place on platforms that didn’t exist until recently (and in some cases aren’t even Canadian). Numerous international writers whom I admire have decided to find new ways to reach their audience. I will now join their ranks.

There’s nothing the Canadian media loves more than stories about bitter infighting within its own ranks. And I wish I had a shocking tale of censorship or workplace bullying to supply to those media critics who trade on schadenfreude. Alas, I don’t. In fact, I continue to respect and appreciate the Post editors who’ve worked with me over the years. But the severe pressures they now experience no longer can be compartmentalized within their managerial sphere. They have spilled out into their relationship with their columnists, spoiling the weekly rites of editorial collaboration that once were one of the great joys of this job.

Thanks to the excommunication of James Bennet and (effectively) Bari Weiss from The New York Times, the vicious hounding of Margaret Wente at Massey College, and the CBC’s sadistic shaming of veteran broadcaster Wendy Mesley, the poisonous phenomenon I am describing here is by now well-known. Every editor feels like he is one Tweet away from getting mobbed and fired. And so the range of permissible opinion shrinks daily. Many columns now read as if they were stitched together from the same few dozen bromides that one is still allowed to say. In a Canadian media industry that regularly lauds itself for courageous truth-telling, the goal is now to hide one’s true opinion rather than declare it.

National Post editors Matt Gurney and Rob Roberts did their best to support me in recent months, even when my columns on charged topics were delayed or spiked. Days would pass between submission and publication, during which time the column shuffled from one editor to another for review.

As recently as today, my editor assured me that my job was not at risk. But every week seems to deliver new restrictions and anxieties. And a writer shouldn’t have to feel like she is imposing on her editor, or asking him to exert himself as a special favour, merely so she can give voice to mainstream principles that most Canadians believe. Even when my columns appear in the National Post without any kind of delay or objection, I feel a lingering worry that some stray word or phrase will cause an editor to suffer blowback. If I were a less experienced writer who needed the money or the exposure, these are concerns that I would accommodate. But I’m fortunate enough to not be in that position.

Since the early 2000s, journalists have anticipated the demise of their own industry. But we wrongly assumed that this decline would be driven exclusively by economic and technological factors. In recent months especially, it’s become clear that ideological purges have turned a gradual retreat into what now feels like a full-on rout. This is not a case of a lack of demand: The rise of popular new online sites shows that Canadians are eager for fresh voices and good reporting. Rather, legacy outlets are collapsing from within because they’ve outsourced editorial direction to a vocal internal minority that systematically weaponizes social media to destroy internal workplace hierarchies, and which presents its demands in Manichean terms. During the various iterations of political correctness that appeared since the 1990s, National Post editors fought against this trend. But as the public shaming of Rex Murphy shows, some now feel they have no choice but to throw down their weapons and sue for peace.

The last column I submitted to the National Post was a dispassionate review of Debra Soh’s new book, "The End of Gender: Debunking the Myths about Sex and Identity," which will be published next month by an imprint of Simon & Schuster. In outward respects, Soh is exactly the kind of writer whom progressives have lionized in recent years: a young woman of colour (and neuroscience PhD) who opines courageously about issues of sex and identity. Like me, she also happens to believe in concepts such as biology, sexual dimorphism, evidence-based clinical treatments, and the importance of peer-reviewed science. In a normal world, it wouldn’t matter that these concepts run afoul of ideological movements that venerate the revealed truths communicated by inwardly experienced sensations of gender.But even many progressives (including those who signed the Harper’s“Letter on Justice and Open Debate” this month) now publicly acknowledge that these are not normal times. And if as famous and powerful a writer as J.K. Rowling can get smeared for stating that biology is a thing, it shouldn’t surprise readers to know that the submission below provided yet another occasion for Post editors to drag their feet.

We are experiencing a dark period for free thought in Canada. But extremist movements always work in cycles. And one already can hear the gears of counterrevolution grinding into motion. If my editors are amenable to it, I may choose to reappear in the pages of the Post when this movement is suitably advanced. Or not. Either way, I will find other means to get my opinions out into the world. And however I choose to do so, I’ve promised myself that the experience will be, at the very least, lively, energizing and fun."

Barbara Kay
Barbara Kay 

And it is probably being done everywhere on multiple topics.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53594440

Hackers post fake stories on real news sites 'to discredit Nato'

Hackers have broken into real news websites and posted fake stories stirring up anti-Nato sentiment, a cyber-security firm has warned.

The disinformation campaign, nicknamed "ghostwriter", has been ongoing since 2017, according to FireEye researchers.

9 minutes ago, deicer said:

And it is probably being done everywhere on multiple topics.

https://www.bbc.com/news/technology-53594440

Hackers post fake stories on real news sites 'to discredit Nato'

Hackers have broken into real news websites and posted fake stories stirring up anti-Nato sentiment, a cyber-security firm has warned.

The disinformation campaign, nicknamed "ghostwriter", has been ongoing since 2017, according to FireEye researchers.

Of course it is being done and Equally on both sides of the political spectrum.. it concerns me that you and the majority of others can’t see that. We live in the most deceptive time in All of history. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, deicer said:

Oh, I see it, and I see the results.

Fortunately, I'm not a trump fan, led to believe factual news is 'fake news'.

You rightful attack Trump but are you willing to admit that Hillary and Biden and Trudeau are just as corrupt and are playing the exact same game?

18 hours ago, Eddy said:

You rightful attack Trump but are you willing to admit that Hillary and Biden and Trudeau are just as corrupt and are playing the exact same game?

Hilary Lost.

And the other three aren't even in the same league.

On 8/1/2020 at 5:01 AM, deicer said:Apt description of 'righties'.....

I’m genuinely interested to know why you are so against the right deicer? I by nature lean right but am disappointed and disgusted And disillusioned  by the rampant and blatant corruption show by leaders on both sides of the political spectrum in North America and abroad. Even more disturbing is the electoral apathy on both sides to hold their own to account. The correct words (despite a clearly opposite And hypocritical track record) are all that seems to matter now while we and our kids are bought and sold and the country goes down the drain. If I could find a single man or women of integrity in politics today they would have my vote. Not long ago the majority of the country felt that way and politicians of all strips were to some degree held accountable. Today character doesn’t seem to matter to supporters and politicians know it and act accordingly. It astounds me that people will rail and cry out loud in indignation about the lies and corruption of one politician and then defend and excuse the same or worse behaviour when it happens on there side of the fence. As long as we as a nation turn a blind eye to corruption, greed, deception and treason we can only ever expect the politics we have asked for and deserve

Posted (edited)

I have taken a while to think about this.

It isn't about being against the right.  It's about being for what is fair and right.

A long time ago, there was an in depth discussion about the pendulum.  It goes left, it goes right.  Sometimes it is in the middle.  

The last 4 years the pendulum has swung so far to the right that, in my opinion, real people have gotten hurt while a small percentage have gotten very much richer because of it. 

If you go through my posts, you will see that I have often posted that ALL politicians are greasy.  It's just the nature of the beast.

What ticks me off the most, and causes my push back is the way that those on the 'right' seem to think that it's OK that others get hurt, as long as it doesn't affect them.

Why do I feel that way?  I just don't give in to bullies.

As a direct example, on this very forum, I have gotten a private message that I am not popular, that I should change my 'name' and tone down my posts.  Is that what fair discussion is about?  Stifling those that you are uncomfortable with?

In closing, I won't stop. Period.  If you don't like my point of view, discuss it.  Challenge it.  But don't try to stop it.

Here's a little video that also points out a very important problem with discussions today.  Appropriate for needing 'trusted news'. 

It has some NSFW language, so if you're sensitive, be warned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8pPpnGavbJE

Edited to change link to a different version.

Edited by deicer

Another good example of why you need trusted news sources...

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/wxq7gn/trump-fuels-conspiracy-theories-by-claiming-beirut-explosion-was-caused-by-a-bomb

Trump Fuels Conspiracy Theories By Claiming Beirut Explosion Was Caused By ‘A Bomb’

“It's wildly irresponsible for a president to stand at the [White House] podium and spitball about an international incident like this," one former national security official said