Why You Need Trusted News Sources

This only highlights the false narratives given by right wing media which causes much hysteria. The pictures are in the article. 

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/politics/fox-news-runs-digitally-altered-images-in-coverage-of-seattles-protests-capitol-hill-autonomous-zone/

Fox News runs digitally altered images in coverage of Seattle’s protests, Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone

Fox News published digitally altered and misleading photos on stories about Seattle’s Capitol Hill Autonomous Zone (CHAZ) in what photojournalism experts called a clear violation of ethical standards for news organizations.

As part of a package of stories Friday about the zone, where demonstrators have taken over several city blocks on Capitol Hill after Seattle police abandoned the East Precinct, Fox’s website for much of the day featured a photo of a man standing with a military-style rifle in front of what appeared to be a smashed retail storefront.

The image was actually a mashup of photos from different days, taken by different photographers — it was done by splicing a Getty Images photo of an armed man, who had been at the protest zone June 10, with other images from May 30 of smashed windows in downtown Seattle. Another altered image combined the gunman photo with yet another image, making it appear as though he was standing in front of a sign declaring “You are now entering Free Cap Hill.”

Fox’s site had no disclaimers revealing the photos had been manipulated. The network removed the images after inquiries from The Seattle Times.

In addition, Fox’s site for a time on Friday ran a frightening image of a burning city, above a package of stories about Seattle’s protests, headlined “CRAZY TOWN.” The photo actually showed a scene from St. Paul, Minnesota, on May 30. That image also was later removed.

In an emailed statement, a Fox News spokeswoman said: “We have replaced our photo illustration with the clearly delineated images of a gunman and a shattered storefront, both of which were taken this week in Seattle’s autonomous zone.”

That statement is inaccurate, as the gunman photo was taken June 10, while storefront images it was melded with were datelined May 30 by Getty Images.

The network’s misleading and faked images were published as the Capitol Hill zone — quickly labeled CHAZ — became a political flashpoint for conservatives nationally and a target of tweets by President Donald Trump, who has branded the demonstrators “domestic terrorists” and threatened federal action unless local officials “take back” the area.

National news outlets on Friday also continued to cite a now-withdrawn comment by a Seattle police commander suggesting protesters were extorting payments from businesses within CHAZ. Seattle police Chief Carmen Best walked back that statement on Thursday, saying the comment was based on rumor and social media. “We haven’t had any formal reports of this occurring,” she said.

The daily scene at CHAZ has mostly been peaceful, with artists painting an enormous “Black Lives Matter” street mural and people gathering for free food, music and documentary films.

However, armed individuals have appeared in the zone, which was occupied by protesters after Seattle police retreated as a de-escalation move following several nights in which police fired tear gas and flash-bang devices. Police said that was in response to projectiles being thrown at officers. At a news conference this week, Best said she disagreed with the decision to leave the precinct, saying its abandonment has led to increased 911 response times.

The June 10 photo of an unidentified man with a gun standing in front of a car in CHAZ was taken by Seattle freelance photographer David Ryder, who distributed the photo through Getty Images.

The image, as displayed on the Fox News website, was spliced with other photos, including a photo of a smashed retail storefront in May, making it look as though the scene was all playing out concurrently in the autonomous zone. “It is definitely Photoshopped,” confirmed Ryder. “To use a photo out of context in a journalistic setting like that seems unethical.”

Photojournalism ethics experts agreed.

“I think it’s disgraceful propaganda and terribly misrepresentative of documentary journalism in times like this, when truth-telling and accountability is so important,” said Kenny Irby, a photojournalism ethics educator and consultant. “There is no attribution. There is no acknowledgment of the montage, and it’s terribly misleading.”

Akili Ramsess, executive director of the National Press Photographers Association (NPPA), said ethical standards clearly prohibit alteration of photos in news accounts.

“For a news photo that is supposed to be of the moment, it is completely egregious to manipulate this the way they have done,” Ramsess said.

While photo illustrations that meld images can be OK in certain contexts, such as for features or opinion pieces, they need to be properly labeled, she said, adding that misleading mashups have no place in straight news coverage. The NPPA ethics code expressly forbids use of altered photos in news stories.

Fox News has “a responsibility to their public. It’s one thing for their opinion hosts to state whatever opinion they have, but for their online news platform, they have to follow the ethical norms of any news organization,” she said.

• Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not defending Trump or his policies, but at least the Potus has open access by the press...he may answer, he may ignore them, he may tell the to F off, but at least he has the guts to be in front

Now we all have to quit quoting him so we never have to see a post from him.

This always saddens me and I think he got it desperately wrong here; the election results reflect it too IMO. I can only speak for myself I guess, but this is the sort of attitude and headline where D

Posted Images

He's just another trump toady making money of using lies to sell tshirts.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/bongino-com/

History

Founded in 2015, Bongino.com is the website for the Dan Bongino podcast show. Dan Bongino is an American conservative commentator, radio show host, author, former congressional candidate, and former Secret Service agent. He is a member of the Republican Party and ran unsuccessfully for Congress in 2012, 2014, and 2016. The website does not feature an about page, mission statement, author names or ownership, thereby demonstrating a complete lack of transparency.

Analysis / Bias

In review, Bongino.com publishes podcasts from Mr. Bongino’s shows as well as news articles that are supposedly written by staff. The focus of this review will be on their written news articles. News stories written by staff typically use moderately loaded emotional language that favors the right, such as this: Clinton Email Scandal Not Over, New FBI Failure Uncovered. This story is appropriately sourced to The Hill and a memo by Senator Grassley. While story selection on this website always favors the right, they also have published misleading conspiracy stories such claiming “this was an illegal coup attempt on the President of the United States.” Further, podcasts often refer to the Spygate conspiracy, in which they opine that Obama and the FBI illegally spied on the Trump Campaign. This has never been collaborated to be illegal. Lastly, Bongino frequently reports negatively on the Clinton’s. For example, they make an unsubstantiated claim that Bill Clinton flew on on Jeffrey Epstein’s plane numerous times, which they assume was for illicit purposes. In another claim, they state that illegal immigrants cost tax payers 100 billion dollars per year. This has been fact checked by the right leaning Check Your Fact, which rated it Unsubstantiated.

In general, Bongino.com publishes far right biased news content that is not always well sourced and often relies on unproven opinions.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/the-fix/wp/2016/08/24/what-a-lying-cursing-florida-candidate-for-congress-tells-us-about-politicians-and-the-press/

I've never heard of this guy Bongino.  I'm not sure I could take more than a few minutes of him.  One thing that's a little shady about this video is that Bongino refers to "employment rate" while Cuomo is talking about "wealth gap."  I happen to think wealth gap is BS (the same as gender pay gap) but it's a disengenuous to mix the comparisons of two different things in a video pointing out somebody who is lying.

The point about Cuomo using a cutoff date before Trump was elected to make him look bad is valid.

I have attached a screen shot below which highlights another few flaws.  The argument being made by Cuomo that "there's a wealth gap and that proves systemic racism exists." 

1. Even if a wealth gap was a real thing (which I don't believe) it could be explained dozens of different ways - perhaps black-Americans choose jobs which pay less but offer greater freedom or greater emotional rewards.  This in no way proves systemic racism.

2.  Even if the wealth gap did exist in 2016 there is no way to prove it still exists now from a graph that doesn't show any data for the last four years.

Screen Shot 2020-06-13 at 11.15.34.png

Headline of the day award.

Cracks will always develop based on purity of thought and commitment to the ideals of the revolution. It remains the job of imbedded "Political Officers" to correct this and maintain focus. The "Animal Farm" pigs need to get busy here or divides will occur based on (gasp) race.

From a strictly tactical perspective, "unity of command" and "seizing and maintaining the initiative" clearly requires more emphasis in revolutionary apprenticeship programs:    

Black organizers in Seattle autonomous zone doubt sincerity of white protesters

Edited by Wolfhunter
On 6/10/2020 at 5:44 PM, Marshall said:

Re the mandatory history lessons, the one problem with that is the way history is nowadays sanitized to remove racial slurs etc. that were common in the past.  If we can not trust history to tell us how it was, then we are indeed deemed to repeat it., 

Good to see that France for one is refusing to sanitize part of their history. I hope our PM has the stones to do the same.

EWS
JUNE 14, 2020 / 1:02 PM / UPDATED 19 MINUTES AGO

Macron says France won't remove statues, erase history

Nice, France, June 14, 2020. REUTERS/Eric Gaillard

PARIS (Reuters) - French President Emmanuel Macron said on Sunday fighting racism should not lead to a “hateful” re-writing of history following worldwide protests over the killing of George Floyd, a black man, by a police officer in the United States.

Some protesters in the United States and elsewhere have targeted statues of historic figures associated with slavery or other past human rights abuses.

“I will be very clear tonight, compatriots: the Republic won’t erase any name from its history. It will forget none of its artworks, it won’t take down statues,” he said in a televised address to the nation.

Reporting by Michel Rose and Sudip Kar-Gupta; Editing by Ga

if you are getting your news solely from a single source, be it Fox, CNN,  MSNBC, or the plethora of internet "news" broadcasts then you are being manipulated by propaganda.  I don't care if you say this or that is unbiased....It's NOT.  EVERY single agency or source from the Biggest to the guy in his moms basement has a specific agenda.  It is simple to go online and find several "news" sources that align with your specific beliefs and cast a narrative along that line.

Daily we see fabricated edited video that is passed along as fact.  Millions of people become outraged as a result.  Job done.  

News on Trump is a perfect example. Both sides are outraged by each other.  Perfect way to divide a nation.  

Remember when you were a kid and being picked on by someone?  Your mothers advice was likely "ignore them and they will go away"  It actually works but now people keep paying attention.

I used to get "road rage" driving on the highway in YYZ.  "people are all idiots" I kept telling myself.  Then I had a epiphany.  "Stop being in a hurry and relax"  Now I just relax aand stay in my own bubble and leave the space in front of me clear.  If someone wants in, Have at it.  I will just leave my space behind you.

I SLOWED Down and stopped worrying about what everyone else was doing. (they are still idiots though) My commute was far more relaxing when I stopped looking.

• Thanks 1

For those interested in real news. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7070235/india-china-border-troops-killed/

There is lots of stuff happening yet the focus seems to be on Trump's golf score and the fact that Canada, in addition to being guilty of ongoing genocide, is systemically racist from top to bottom. Since genocide is a crime against humanity and since JT has admitted that it's ongoing, when can we expect to see some charges? Where are the "words matter" squad?

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

For those interested in real news. 

https://globalnews.ca/news/7070235/india-china-border-troops-killed/

There is lots of stuff happening yet the focus seems to be on Trump's golf score and the fact that Canada, in addition to being guilty of ongoing genocide, is systemically racist from top to bottom. Since genocide is a crime against humanity and since JT has admitted that it's ongoing, when can we expect to see some charges? Where are the "words matter" squad?

What is scary about this, is that both sides have nukes and what if one side decided to preempt? Both also, sadly,  have lots of Cannon Fodder.  

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

What is scary about this, is that both sides have nukes and what if one side decided to preempt? Both also, sadly,  have lots of Cannon Fodder.  

Agreed. The other worrisome thing (at least to me) is the lack of main stream coverage. People are too busy pulling down statues and searching the net for opinion pieces that support their narrative to even pay attention. The only difference between us and Rome is internet access and the barbarian hoard. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

This is going to make things very interesting, coming from someone who was in the inner circle.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/trump-asked-chinas-xi-jinping-to-help-him-win-the-election-bolton-writes-in-bombshell-book

Bolton’s Bombshell Memoir: Trump Asked China’s President to Help Him Win the Election

President Trump appealed to China’s President Xi Jinping to help him win the 2020 election by increasing the Chinese government’s agricultural purchases from American farmers, former National Security Adviser John Bolton writes in his bombshell forthcoming memoir.

During a one-on-one meeting at the G20 Summit in 2019, Trump “stunningly, turned the conversation to the coming U.S. presidential election, alluding to China’s economic capability to affect the ongoing campaigns, pleading with Xi to ensure he’d win,” Bolton writes, according to an excerpt in the Wall Street Journal.

It was one of several disturbing instances Bolton outlines of Trump appealing to foreign dictators for his own gains—a pattern of behavior that he says went far beyond the Ukraine aid saga.

Trump was willing to kill off criminal probes against Turkish and Chinese companies to “in effect, give personal favors to dictators he liked,” Bolton writes, alleging that Trump was willing to intervene in probes against Turkey’s Halkbank and China’s ZTE to curry favor with either country’s leaders.

“The pattern looked like obstruction of justice as a way of life, which we couldn’t accept,” Bolton writes.

If Bolton is right and considering the less than stellar relations Trump has with China, you have to wonder why China has not thrown it into his face so to speak.  Up to now, Russia was the one who maybe helped him.....  

18 minutes ago, Marshall said:

If Bolton is right and considering the less than stellar relations Trump has with China, you have to wonder why China has not thrown it into his face so to speak.  Up to now, Russia was the one who maybe helped him.....

If Russia and China have been "helping," clearly Trump needs a new dictionary or the word no longer means what I thought it did. 

Dear Russia, China and Liberals (of all persuasions): PLEASE STOP HELPING....

2 hours ago, Marshall said:

I think it is because the Chinese have a longer timeline and when you look at what has been requested, they aren't in a hurry to use the pressure.  The will grok when the time is right.

Re Trump's rally, the word on the street is that the Dems are encouraging Trumps supporters to attend (note lack of social distancing) in the hope of reducing his voting pool due the virus...   ?

1 hour ago, Marshall said:

Re Trump's rally, the word on the strret is that the Dems are encouraging Trumps supporters to attend (note lack of social distancing) in the hope of reducing his voting pool due the virus...   ?

I heard the same thing,  :whistling:    word on the street the republicans are praying for more  protests....

At the end if the day it will probably be a wash. :eek:

Edited by Jaydee

Headline of the day award.

Much ado about the numbers on mainstream media in the US, lot's of "look at that, I told you so." 

TikTok users, K-pop fans say they helped sabotage Trump rally with false online registrations

And this one gets honourable mention. Please insert Stephen Harpers name and the word conservative, then ask yourself if it's still OK:

Justin Trudeau says he won't address new allegation of sexual harassment against former Liberal MP Marwan Tabbara

Edited by Wolfhunter
1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

TikTok users, K-pop fans say they helped sabotage Trump rally with false online registrations

If this is true, who do they think they fooled?....themselves or the resolve of his base ? November will be an interesting finish to a horrible year.

It is showing what trump fans don't understand.  

Youth is mobilising, and using methods that the trump base don't understand.

I do agree, November will be very interesting.

Block.jpg

Edited by deicer