Why You Need Trusted News Sources

3 hours ago, Marshall said:

If you take a look around the world, it is not only white people who are racist, racism exists in most, if not all, races.

And if you look around the world with a critical eye, you will see that the amount of black on black violence is staggering and that much of that hails back to tribalism in one form or another, sad and predictable in all cases. 

Catering to tribes (of all sorts) within the context of identity politics is a vote winning strategy.... it's just short sighted, dangerous and always results in violence. Observe how political leaders (at all levels) are spinning this and pointing the finger of blame. Consider the silence of black community leaders, all the players have something to gain for their personal narrative.... at the lowest level, even the looters get a new TV and some booze. 

Does any of this look like a peaceful protest in support of justice or does it smack of politically motivated violence:

https://www.foxnews.com/us/antifa-arrests-coming-riots-suburbs

By the time the sleepers awaken, they will realize they've lost control of their own agendas and begin biting their own tails. It causes further divisions within the individual components of the divisions themselves (how is any of this new?)

https://www.foxnews.com/us/cuomo-de-blasio-riot

Perhaps a liberal minded member could point to a multiethnic country where promoting tribalism has served the public good.... I don't know of any. People who think they are contributing to the greater good are unwittingly stoking the fire here. These aren't protests anymore.... at least not mostly, they have morphed into politically motivated violence. A subtle distinction for some but terrifying in its implications. 

Here's a snippet of news you won't even find in the MSM. 

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/05/dozens-killed-separate-burkina-faso-attacks-200531194701637.html

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Replies 868
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I’m not defending Trump or his policies, but at least the Potus has open access by the press...he may answer, he may ignore them, he may tell the to F off, but at least he has the guts to be in front

Now we all have to quit quoting him so we never have to see a post from him.

This always saddens me and I think he got it desperately wrong here; the election results reflect it too IMO. I can only speak for myself I guess, but this is the sort of attitude and headline where D

Posted Images

2 hours ago, deicer said:

You're right.  And it is a taught behavior.

Time to work towards changing the curriculum.

Not sure that is possible.  Just look back at when Yugoslavia was broken up and people who had lived together and even intermarried  from 1918 to 1992 regressed to their old hatreds and started killing each other.  

Just in the news that Africans including those in Kenya are protesting the actions of the US re the recent killing image.png.1245ddb0029e47f48dfcce067676c7f1.png

and just down from that story:  

https://www.hrw.org/news/2020/02/20/kenya-no-letup-killings-nairobi-police

Kenya: No Letup in Killings by Nairobi Police

Evidence Removed From Scenes; Failure to Investigate

Rights activist Boniface Mwangi asserted that 19 Kenyans have died from police actions in enforcing the COVID-19 curfew, all from low-income neighbourhoods.

https://www.thestar.com/news/world/africa/2020/06/02/kenyans-protest-as-police-accused-of-killing-homeless-man.html

where are the  universal protests??

11 hours ago, Marshall said:

Not sure that is possible.  Just look back at when Yugoslavia was broken up and people who had lived together and even intermarried  from 1918 to 1992 regressed to their old hatreds and started killing each other.  

I hope that as humans we don't give up on trying.

It's one thing to see and acknowledge that wrong is going on around you.

It's worse to sit back and do nothing about it.

Change is inevitable, help make it change for the better.

If that means cracking down on old ways that have become convenient, then so be it.  It is more difficult for us to change our ways because our ways are set, so it is imperative that we make the effort to show the younger generations that there is, and they can make a difference.

• Like 1

https://www.goodreads.com/quotes/111810-no-one-is-born-hating-another-person-because-of-the

“No one is born hating another person because of the color of his skin, or his background, or his religion. People must learn to hate, and if they can learn to hate, they can be taught to love, for love comes more naturally to the human heart than its opposite.”

Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom

• Like 1
On 6/2/2020 at 6:02 PM, Wolfhunter said:

Perhaps a liberal minded member could point to a multiethnic country where promoting tribalism has served the public good....

Yes I'm quoting myself here. But seriously, I'll settle for one.

Just one example where policies promoting stovepipe tribalism had a positive outcome. I can provide lots of examples where it happened, how it will get you votes, and why it's an inducement to violence....

Edited by Wolfhunter

https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-news/fox-news-edits-video-police-guns-drawn-cuffing-innocent-black-people-1009313/

Fox News Edits Video to Remove Police With Guns Drawn, Cuffing Innocent Black People

The “news” network disappeared portions of a video that showed police using aggressive tactics on the wrong people

A local Fox affiliate ran a story about a family flagging down law enforcement to protect a business from looters, but when police arrived on the scene, the officers handcuffed them. Fox News, however, when broadcasting the affiliate’s report, removed the part of the footage where police drew their guns and put the family in handcuffs.

On Monday night, a video of Los Angeles citizens and a local reporter flagging down police while trying to stop alleged looters went viral. The video showed several officers arriving on the scene and immediately drawing their guns. The police then handcuffed three people who had alerted the police to the situation in the first place, two of whom were black.

Monet, the woman who was cuffed, told a Fox News local affiliate that she was surprised when the police put restraints on her, her husband and her brother-in-law, especially because the local reporter, Christina Gonzalez, who helped flag down the police, kept yelling to them that they had the wrong people.

“I was handcuffed, thrown up against a wall with my husband and brother-in-law, and I’m like, ‘What the hell?'” she said. “The news people are here and telling you it’s not her, she’s trying to stop the situation.”

This is one of the most absolutely insane moments I've ever seen on live television. pic.twitter.com/Uvzig8YGSa

— Timothy Burke (@bubbaprog) June 2, 2020

But on Tuesday, Fox News used the story from their own affiliate and selectively edited out all of the police’s mistakes and aggressive tactics. Instead, the network singled out only the good samaritan portions of the report to fit their own narrative.

pic.twitter.com/PZQp8Xuov4

— PoliticsVideo23 (@politicsvideo23) June 3, 2020

Fox News has focused heavily on violence and looting during the recent nationwide unrest, mostly ignoring or defending the violence coming from the police, even when police initiate conflict during peaceful demonstrations. But here, the “news” network went out of its way to create a scene through selective editing that showed the police as nothing but helpful, which simply was not true.

Here is FOX:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/tucker-american-leaders-feel-noting-descent-anarchy

Here is CNN:

https://www.cnn.com/2020/06/03/us/boogaloo-extremist-protests-invs/index.html

Both of them, to a greater or lesser extent are right.... eventually, they will be forced by circumstance to align their reporting as facts become indisputable. Watch for that, when you see it you will know that it's too late to recall the dog because he is already out of earshot.

But....I'm still waiting for an example of a country where state/media supported polarization and tribalism has proven to be a unifying force. Since there have been no takers I'll dumb it down again; name a country where it hasn't proven to be an inducement to violence. 

Here is a foolish statement (based on current events) from someone who should know better. And yet, has freedom of opinion slipped to such a low level in our collective morality that it  warrants the punishment? Is rap music racist? If not, Is a white instagram influencer singing along to the racist lyrics of her favourite rapper racism? If it is, should white people even be permitted to listen to rap music? 

https://nationalpost.com/news/stockwell-day-steps-down-from-telus-board-and-law-firm-after-remarks-on-racism-in-canada/wcm/4c6513b2-4e05-4f82-a2c7-366c9e31edbe

But consider that Canada has willingly admitted to genocide, the crime of crimes. Thus, IMO, the Canadian view of genocide is an insult to those who have experienced true genocide. And, since genocide is the predictable outcome of true racism, the Canadian view of racism is, by extension, an insult to those who have experienced the type of racism which is a precursor to the genocide I refer to. As liberals would say, "words matter." 

Most concerning of all is the apparent delight with which "creatures of the fringes" view all of the current events. People, of the type who created the monster happily point out that the monster now exists.... they entirely missed the point of keeping the monster at bay and not feeding it when it steps out of containment. Only when this starts to impact them will they see the folly of petty agendas, but by then it will have progressed to far to reign in. There is an African proverb which speaks to the notion that "the resolve to avoid an evil is never fashioned until after the evil has occurred." I probably butchered it but that's the gist of it (I think).

Edited by Wolfhunter
  • Like 1

CLAIM: Photo shows all the exterior and interior lights out at the White House on Sunday night, as President Donald Trump hid in a bunker.

THE FACTS: An image shared thousands of times online that appears to show all the lights out in and around the White House was taken before Trump even assumed office. AP photographs taken Sunday night show the front of the White House illuminated by exterior lights and the portico lantern turned on, but the mansion’s interior is dark. The viral photo, which has been edited, can be found on Getty Image’s stock website, where it was uploaded in December 2015. In the original, the lantern hanging in the White House portico is lit, along with several lights that surround the fountain in the front lawn. The edited version that is being widely shared online has been darkened, and edited to black out the lit lantern. Dozens of social media users shared the edited 2015 photo, claiming it showed the White House on Sunday night. “Lights out at #WhiteHouse is a powerful symbol,” one Twitter user wrote. Others claim it showed the White House on Sunday night as Trump took shelter in a bunker. The Associated Press reported that Secret Service agents rushed the president to a White House bunker Friday night, as hundreds of protesters surrounded the executive mansion.

CLAIM: An old photo of Adolf Hitler shows him holding up a Bible in front of a crowd, similar to how U.S. President Donald Trump held a Bible in front of a church Monday.

THE FACTS: The photo has been edited to show Hitler holding a Bible. In the original photo, Hitler is dressed in a Nazi uniform and raising his hand in response to children saluting him. The photo was taken in the 1930s by Heinrich Hoffman and is archived in Getty Images. Social media users are widely circulating that photo of Hitler, edited to show him holding a black book that people claim is a Bible. The manipulated photo is being used in posts to compare Hitler to Trump, after law enforcement forcefully cleared peaceful protests at Lafayette Park in Washington with tear gas and flash bangs on Monday. After the protesters were cleared, Trump walked from the White House Rose Garden to St. John’s Church where he stood in front of cameras and raised a black-covered Bible for reporters to see. The church was damaged in a protest fire the night before. Trump’s actions sparked bipartisan criticism, with some on social media comparing him to the Nazi dictator, using the false photo. “Spot the difference between Hitler and Trump,” one Twitter user wrote, sharing a photo of Trump with the Bible next to the manipulated image of Hitler. 

1 hour ago, Wolfhunter said:

“Lights out at #WhiteHouse is a powerful symbol,” one Twitter user wrote. Others claim it showed the White House on Sunday night as Trump took shelter in a bunker. 

Yup, do a search for “Lights out at #WhiteHouse is a powerful symbol,”  Dozens/hundreds of MSM sites repeating/reposting the lie even though it's been several days since it's been debunked - they don't care.  It's a lie.  It's been proven to be untrue and yet they persist.  There is a narrative and an agenda and nothing as insignificant as the truth will get in the way of that.  If it was me in charge I would prosecute and convict those responsible who knew or should have known that this was untrue.  Being a publisher/editor should be a licensed position in society - accountable under penalty.  An insignificant pilot is responsible for knowing about trivial NOTAMS so how is a newspaper publisher not responsible for knowing about debunked photos?

Edited by seeker

Consider this quote:

“Inaction to dismantle the white supremacy foundational to policing has caused this to be one in a pattern rather than an exception, and I believe we need to tear down the systems that allow for the pattern to continue.”

Now consider that the "white supremacy" at issue here, and the need to tear down the system, stems from a shooting event in which an officer is attacked with a knife while conducting a welfare check.

https://nationalpost.com/news/canada/minister-says-reckoning-on-police-violence-against-indigenous-people-needed-2

Here's how I would have expected that to go when I knocked at the door:

- Hi there, I just stopped in to see if every thing was OK.

- Do you need anything, is there anyone I can call for you?

Instead you are rushed at the door by someone with a knife.... if you defend yourself that defence is borne of white supremacy. Other than allowing yourself to be stabbed in the neck, what course of action is recommended?

Sleepy Joe is of the opinion that when facing "an UNARMED opponent WITH A KNIFE, that they should be shot in the leg." Anything else is racism. So why not shoot the knife out of the assailants hand, just like it's done on NETFLIX or in those cowboy movies from the 60s. If a cowboy can do it with a single action colt it must be simple enough....surely shooting people in the leg is racist too. Just be careful not to hit their hand in the process and remember that you are responsible for that bullet from the time you break the shot until it comes to a full and final stop. 

Wouldn't it make more sense to disarm the police entirely? Not even a vest... remember when the Ontario NDP leader concluded (shortly after the election) that it is racist to wear a vest and that it tends to isolate you from marginalized communities.

I want to see this play out until those in favour of madness become consumed in it....

Edited by Wolfhunter

Here is a point worth highlighting and it's my only point in posting this link. 

As time progresses, you will begin to see an alignment between the left and right media because the situation will become soooooo apparent to all who have eyes to see and ears to hear that there simply is no spin left to spin.

Spindrift is a windage consideration in long range shooting that manifests itself beyond 600 (or so) yards,  it seems to apply to politics as time and exposure increases as well. It's a gyroscopic effect modified by length, duration of flight and degree of applied spin.  When everyone sees this, knows it to be true, and it enters the realm of "real $h*t" ,  then you will know that it's too late to stop the madness.

Bill is coming around to the possibilities now too.... and he's right to be concerned. 

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/bill-maher-reckless-lockdowns-helped-fuel-riots-could-lead-to-blood-in-the-streets-after-election

PS- I've been watching some of the riot footage, lots of violent images and t-shirt slogans....I haven't seen a MAGA hat yet though. Where are the violent Trump supporters?

Edited by Wolfhunter

Headline of the day award. The important thing to keep in mind here is that this this guy's opinion only holds merit if it disagrees with Trump"s: 

Dr. Fauci says George Floyd protests provide ‘perfect recipe’ for new coronavirus surges

So far I've had no luck in finding pictures or video of rioters, looters or demonstrators wearing a MAGA hat, only of them being beaten....  

• Thanks 1

The problem with hypocrisy in the modern age is the before and after video, all of the misleading memes and the snarky sound bites come back to haunt you. There is a virtual parade of these standing by in the wings.

Republicans can read a calendar and the absolute best of the "before and afters" will be reserved until a bit closer to election day. The release will be timed with every "Joe gaff" and Im looking forward to seeing them. I would be casting them in a humours light as opposed to an attack format, something like the bud light "real men of genius" thing.  More than enough material to do this too, even I could do it....

Edited by Wolfhunter

https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/05/07/fact-check-about-that-i-will-never-lie-to-you-claim/

Fact check: About that ‘I will never lie to you’ claim…

Regardless of her intentions, though, Kayleigh McEnany’s comments were laden with inaccuracies.

At the first official briefing by a White House press secretary in 417 days, Kayleigh McEnany promised journalists, “I will never lie to you.”

McEnany proceeded to say a bunch of things that weren’t true.

Whether they were deliberate lies or inadvertent false claims, we can’t be certain; since it was her first time at the podium after being hired in April, we’ll be generous in our choice of words. Regardless of her intentions, though, her comments were laden with inaccuracies.

McEnany misquoted an FBI agent’s written comment about former national security adviser Michael Flynn. She mischaracterized a Friday tweet by President Donald Trump about protesters in Michigan. She gave an inflated figure for the cost of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation. And she said Mueller offered a “complete and total exoneration” of the President, something Mueller explicitly said he was not doing.

McEnany also added confusion to an already-confusing situation surrounding the President’s statements about whether the coronavirus originated in a Chinese laboratory.

McEnany defends Flynn by misquoting FBI notes

After taking questions about coronavirus, McEnany turned to the legal saga of Michael Flynn, Trump’s first national security adviser who resigned after a few weeks on the job in 2017 and pleaded guilty to lying to the FBI about his Russian contacts.

As part of his plea bargain, Flynn cooperated extensively with special counsel Robert Mueller, but he’s back in Trump’s good graces after publicly disavowing his guilty plea and accusing the Justice Department of anti-Trump misconduct.

Trump now says he is considering a pardon for Flynn, and ramped up his pro-Flynn rhetoric this week by seizing on a batch of newly unsealed documents that he says provide explosive new reasons to doubt Flynn’s prosecution.

McEnany referred to some of those documents Friday.

“We have a handwritten FBI note that says, quote, ‘we need to get Flynn to lie,’ quote, and get him fired,” McEnany said. “There is an unfair target on the back of General Michael Flynn. It should concern every American, anytime there is a partisan pursuit of an individual.”

Facts First: The FBI notes do raise serious new questions about the Flynn case, but McEnany misquoted them in a way that makes them look much more damning than they actually are. She ignored parts of the notes that undercut Trump’s cherry-picked narrative, and added the phrase “we need” before “to get him to lie,” even though she said it was a word-for-word quote.

Also, McEnany’s claims that Flynn was politically targeted are not supported by the facts. A federal judge recently ruled that there wasn’t a partisan plot against Flynn, and the Justice Department watchdog concluded that the Flynn investigation was opened without bias.

CNN examined many of the facts of Flynn’s case on Thursday after Trump made a series of similarly inaccurate and false claims.

The newly unsealed files — FBI emails and handwritten notes — shed new light on how FBI officials carefully prepared to interview Flynn in January 2017, when he was national security adviser. Investigators had reviewed US intelligence intercepts of Flynn’s conversations with the Russian ambassador, and those transcripts contradicted public comments from several top Trump officials that Flynn never discussed sanctions with the Russians.

Flynn supporters point to one note where an FBI official asks, “What’s our goal? Truth/Admission or to get him to lie, so we can prosecute him or get him fired?”

At the press briefing on Friday, McEnany’s misquote of the line makes it look like the FBI was dead-set on coercing Flynn to lie.

A closer examination of the documents shows this is not necessarily the case. The newly public information is not a clear-cut breakthrough for Flynn. Other notes reveal that the FBI planned to refresh Flynn’s memory to give him a chance to correct his statement and potentially avoid a criminal charge.

Additionally, Flynn testified in 2018 that he knew it was a crime when he lied to the FBI agents, that he didn’t think his rights had been violated, and that he didn’t want to challenge the circumstances of his interview. He has since reversed course and is trying to withdraw his guilty plea, which requires a judge’s approval.

The judge overseeing Flynn’s case has previously rejected many of the allegations that McEnany and Trump are now championing. The judge said in a December ruling that “the record proves” that Flynn wasn’t ambushed by the FBI as part of some caper orchestrated by anti-Trump partisans.

The Justice Department inspector general also concluded in a sweeping report that there were legitimate reasons to open the Russia investigation in 2016, which led to Flynn’s FBI interview. The inspector general also said he didn’t find proof that the top FBI officials who opened the Flynn investigation were motivated by political bias.

McEnany exaggerates the cost and outcome of the Mueller investigation

In discussing Flynn, McEnany said: “I’ve seen a whole lot of scant information about Michael Flynn, when there was speculation about Russia, Russia, Russia, culminating in $40 million of taxpayer money being lost in a complete and total exoneration of President Trump.”

Facts First: McEnany exaggerated both the outcome of special counsel Robert Mueller’s investigation and its cost. Mueller explicitly said that he was not giving the President a complete exoneration. And the investigation actually cost $32 million, according to figures released by the Justice Department.

Mueller’s report said that the investigation did not establish that the Trump campaign “coordinated or conspired” with Russia’s election interference. The report did, however, lay out a case that Trump may have committed obstruction of justice. It explained that Mueller would abide by a Justice Department policy that holds that a sitting President cannot be indicted.

“… while this report does not conclude that the President committed a crime, it also does not exonerate him,” the report said.

When Mueller was asked by House Judiciary chairman Jerry Nadler during congressional testimony in July 2019 if he “totally exonerate(d) the President,” Mueller simply said, “No.”

McEnany wrongly describes Trump’s tweet about Michigan protesters

McEnany was asked about Trump’s tweet on Friday morning about protesters in Michigan who oppose the state’s emergency pandemic restrictions.

Trump wrote: “The Governor of Michigan should give a little, and put out the fire. These are very good people, but they are angry. They want their lives back again, safely! See them, talk to them, make a deal.”

A reporter asked McEnany if the “very good people” remark was referring specifically to armed militia members who crowded into the state Capitol on Thursday.

McEnany responded: “The President was referencing generally that in this country you have a First Amendment right to protest.”

Facts First: Trump’s tweet did not make any reference to the First Amendment or the general right to protest. He simply praised opponents of the restrictions — though he did not specify whether he was referring to armed militia members or any of the others — and urged Gov. Gretchen Whitmer to make concessions to them.

Trump and the intelligence community’s stance on coronavirus

When asked about a New York Times report that senior Trump administration officials have pushed intelligence agencies to find evidence supporting the theory that Covid-19 originated in a Wuhan laboratory, McEnany responded, “I can assure you that no one is pressing the intelligence community to come to a determination.”

McEnany attempted to further clarify the White House’s stance on the origins of the outbreak by suggesting that the President and the intelligence community are in agreement, despite apparent contradictions in recent statements.

Referring to a statement the Office of the Director of National Intelligence released a few hours before the President took questions Thursday at the White House on coronavirus, McEnany added, “The intelligence community statement stands. It’s in perfect concert with what the President said.”

Facts First: It’s a stretch to say the intelligence community statement and the President’s recent remarks on the origin of the novel coronavirus were in “perfect” alignment. The President on Thursday told the press, without providing details, that he has seen evidence that gives him a high degree of confidence that the Wuhan Institute of Virology was the origin of the novel coronavirus. However, the public statement from ODNI said that no such assessment about the outbreak’s origins has been made as they continue to “rigorously examine” the origins of the outbreak.

While the intelligence community is looking into whether the outbreak was the result of an accident at a laboratory in Wuhan, the statement released by the ODNI, on behalf of the entire intelligence community, made it clear they do not have enough information to confidently assess whether that was the case or if the pandemic began “through contact with infected animals.”

•  
The statement also noted that the intelligence community “concurs with the wide scientific consensus that the COVID-19 virus was not manmade or genetically modified.”

Two weeks earlier, when asked about concerns the virus was manmade or otherwise came out of a laboratory in China, Dr. Anthony Fauci, the nation’s top infectious disease expert, said the evolution of the virus is “totally consistent with a jump of a species from an animal to a human.”

When pressed about his confidence in a connection between the virus and the Wuhan lab, Trump said he was “not allowed” to share the information which lead him to that conclusion.