Air Canada Incident at YHZ

Despite flattened tires, pilot 'does really nice job' landing plane in Halifax

Air Canada flight from Orlando makes emergency landing in Halifax after landing gear problems

Anjuli Patil, Frances Willick · CBC News · Posted: Apr 14, 2018 4:25 PM AT | Last Updated: April 14
An Air Canada flight from Orlando, Fla., made an emergency landing at the Halifax airport Saturday afternoon after reporting its landing gear wasn't descending properly. (CBC)

Passengers aboard an Air Canada flight from Orlando, Fla., had a few tense moments Saturday afternoon when the plane developed problems with its landing gear prior to its approach to the Halifax Stanfield International Airport.

Halifax Fire and Emergency Services were called to the airport at 3:33 p.m. after crew members reported the plane's landing gear wasn't descending properly. Air Canada Flight 1219 was travelling from Orlando to Halifax.

The aircraft landed on the runway, blowing out two tires, but no injuries were reported.

"It was a nice landing. He did a really nice job landing the plane," said Gordon Barton, who was returning home after a trip to Disney World with his wife Peggy Blair and their grandchildren, Alexis and Kenleigh.

"You wouldn't be able to tell hardly that he had flat tires the way he landed it. He did a great job getting us on the ground." 

Air Canada said in a statement that the plane got two flat tires during the landing. A spokesperson said she could not provide further details about damage to the plane.

One of the airport's two runways was closed until about 5 p.m. while the A320 plane was towed to the gate.

Peggy Blair said about 20 minutes into the flight "we heard the big boom."

Her family was sitting over the wheels so it felt "like your feet actually 'boomed' underneath you," she said.

"We really knew it was something, but then the pilot came on and said, 'Well, there's big boxes with luggage in them down there and maybe something came loose and just tipped over,'" Blair said.

But Barton, who has experience working with vehicles, said he had a feeling there was a problem with the aircraft's wheels.

"Just the way it sounded, it sounded like one of the wheels may have jammed a little bit when it was coming up so it was just an educated guess, I guess," he said.

The couple's grandchild, Kenleigh Barton,16, said she felt a little bit nervous during the landing.

"We had to circle around a few things. At one point, we were closer to Truro than Halifax so it felt weird," she said.

Alexis Blair,14, felt the same as her cousin.

"It was scary. I was scared. I was fidgeting with my fidget spinner, it was pretty crazy," she said.

Once it came time to land, Blair said the plane circled around the airport. She said staff were quick to tell passengers they had "some bugs to work out" before landing. 

"They had a wheel that wasn't coming down, and I guess just before they landed, it did come down," said Halifax Fire and Emergency Services  division commander Greg Hebb. 

TSB deploys a team of investigators to a landing incident at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport, Nova Scotia Français

DARTMOUTH, NS, April 15, 2018 /CNW/ - The Transportation Safety Board is deploying a team of investigators to a landing incident that occurred yesterday involving an Air Canada aircraft at the Halifax Stanfield International Airport, Nova Scotia. The TSB will gather information and assess the occurrence.

The TSB is an independent agency that investigates marine, pipeline, railway and aviation transportation occurrences. Its sole aim is the advancement of transportation safety. It is not the function of the Board to assign fault or determine civil or criminal liability.

The TSB is online at www.tsb.gc.ca. Keep up to date through RSS, Twitter (@TSBCanada), YouTube, Flickr and our blog.

"We had to circle around a few things. At one point, we were closer to Truro than Halifax so it felt weird," she said.

Hilarious.

Regarding the tires, I wonder if they had a hot brake issue and didn’t cool the gear after takeoff.   Easy to do on that aircraft after MLG brakes not cooling enough on the ground and followed by a long taxi before takeoff. 

I flew the 320 only for a short time but I learned quickly to carefully manage the autobrakes and temps especially in places like LAS. After a quick turn on a hot Vegas day followed by a long downhill taxi to 25R (and probably too much braking along the way) we got a hot brake “Ping” at VR. If I recall correctly it meant a brake temp above 300. As per the ECAM & NNC we left the gear down during the initial climb until it cooled which was somewhere around 10,000’. The recommended technique was not to use the A/B at all. Reverse thrust only to 100kts and then apply manual braking as required. Never had a temp problem again but I later switched back to Boeing. Say no more. 

Teh article mentions a boom after takeoff.  that could easily have been a fuse plug letting go due to an overheat.  i would expect that to register on the ECAM though.  they should have, at the very least, had a low tire pressure warning when the gear was selected down. (im not sure it displays when the gear is up).

The temperature on an A320 tire needs to get well above 600 degrees to blow a fuse plug. You don't get to that high a temperature on taxi out (not even at LAS) unless something else is going on.

maybe not a fuse plug then but the tire could have blown in the wheel well.  Although there would have been at lease some damage.

Which would also be an explanation for the gear issues on arrival.

4 hours ago, Rich Pulman said:

The nice thing with the Airbus is that you get brake temperature indications and can plan accordingly. With the Boeing it was always a bit of a WAG, but at least it would let you know when your aircraft was on fire. :tu:

Really? Because the GEAR synoptic on the 777 has tire pressure and brake temp. It was an option on 757’s and 767’s. Some operators choice not to pay for it. 

3 hours ago, boestar said:

maybe not a fuse plug then but the tire could have blown in the wheel well.  Although there would have been at lease some damage.

Which would also be an explanation for the gear issues on arrival.

Perhaps they cut a tire on departure and it let go?

Archived