Not Aviation Topic but............

Please take the time to reflect on how lucky we all are when you consider the tragedy out in Humboldt Sask.

Perhaps your kids, or the children of a friend you know have children who play Canada's national sport...

I have two grand daughters that play hockey  and  I think of them every time they travel to different venue

If possible......let's all give to 

https://ca.gofundme.com/funds-for-humboldt-broncos

Canadians for Canadians 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Great idea Kip.  I am sure every donation will help.  

It is nice to see significant donations from NHL teams and hockey suppliers in support of this worthy cause.  I cannot begin to imagine the shock and grief for these families and the community of Humbolt.

Very sad event. How do two vehicles travelling on quiet intersecting prairie highways manage to meet at exactly the wrong time? The driver of the truck walked away from the accident. I’m guessing the boys were not likely seat belted and getting t-boned didn’t improve the situation. 

Similar to Kip’s family and many others here, my son-in-law was a young hockey player billeted away from home for most of his high school years. Our daughter travelled across Canada and the US as a competing highland dancer and later playing volleyball. So much time on the road (and flying) at early and late hours. Odds are something can happen  and I always breathed a sigh of relief when everyone got home safely.

Edited by blues deville

1 hour ago, blues deville said:

Very sad event. How do two vehicles travelling on quiet intersecting prairie highways manage to meet at exactly the wrong time? The driver of the truck walked away from the accident. I’m guessing the boys were not likely seat belted and getting t-boned didn’t improve the situation. 

Similar to Kip’s family and many others here, my son-in-law was a young hockey player billeted away from home for most of his high school years. Our daughter travelled across Canada and the US as a competing highland dancer and later playing volleyball. So much time on the road (and flying) at early and late hours. Odds are something can happen  and I always breathed a sigh of relief when everyone got home safely.

Sad doesn't begin to describe this horrible tragedy. My heart goes out to not only family and friends of those who died, but the survivors - many will wonder for the rest of their lives "How did I survive?"

There may have been a T-bone event but it certainly wasn't by the truck. I'm really pi$$d at the rush to judgement by the National Post, the only agency reporting the event in this manner.

From the pictures it looks as though the bus hit one of the B-train trailers of the semi. The tractor is laying on its side but relatively undamaged. The RCMP have stated it was a collision at the intersection of two highways. They’ve also said which vehicle was on which road and only one of those roads has stop signs at the intersection. There’s also a stand of trees that would make it very difficult to see crossing traffic until it was too late. 

Edited by J.O.

49 minutes ago, J.O. said:

From the pictures it looks as though the bus hit one of the B-train trailers of the semi. The tractor is laying on its side but relatively undamaged. The RCMP have stated it was a collision at the intersection of two highways. They’ve also said which vehicle was on which road and only one of those roads has stop signs at the intersection. There’s also a stand of trees that would make it very difficult to see crossing traffic until it was too late. 

Evidently the east and west directions had stop signs. The north and south didn't. From the latest report:

Around 5 p.m. Friday, the truck was heading west at a highway intersection south of Nipawin when it collided with the bus. The force of the crash sent both vehicles into the ditch at the northwest corner of the intersection.

Aerial footage showed the bus on its side, its roof peeled back and its front end destroyed.

The trailer of the truck lay nearby in a shattered mess, with bags of its peat moss cargo scattered all around. The tractor part of the truck was intact, lying on its passenger side.

The tractor-trailer would have had to yield to a stop sign before crossing over the highway that the hockey bus was travelling on. There is a stand of trees on the southeast corner of the intersection, limiting visibility of the approach on both roads.

Zablocki said a lot of issues have to be investigated, including weather conditions at the time and any mechanical issues with the vehicles.

Story link. https://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/cause-of-fatal-humboldt-broncos-bus-crash-still-unknown-sask-rcmp-1.3876031

I have been an advocate of having all vehicles equipped with dash cams.  They are cheap and if installed at the factory, probably wouldn't even add to the overall cost.

It would provide the answers of what happened very quickly.

The biggest benefit of having a dash cam is knowing that you have a silent witness at all times.  I feel it would make drivers more responsible.

19 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

I have Dash Cams in all my vehicles... Apparently insurance companies are looking at giving a discount if you have a dash cam;)

Kip, sorry for the thread drift everyone and let’s keep remembering those involved in the accident, any recommends on dash cams?

32 minutes ago, thor said:

Kip, sorry for the thread drift everyone and let’s keep remembering those involved in the accident, any recommends on dash cams?

Bought mine on Ebay, none over $25.00 and 1080HD as well as IR lenses , plugs into cigarette lighter and only runs when car is running..SD card that overwrites every 15 mins.

24 minutes ago, J.O. said:

More on the intersection where a family from BC was killed in a similar crash back in 1997.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatchewan/humboldt-broncos-crash-site-intersection-1.4610707

If you take a close look at the wreckage, numerous photos on the Net, it would appear that the front of the truck has no damage. A WAG would be the bus ....possibly ran into the trailer of the truck and looking at all the wheels, perhaps there was another trailer attached to the main trailer. Be interesting to see the final outcome of the investigation.

..................Lots of hockey sticks in the doorways out here................... 

I would recommend one that records front and back as well.  That way both ends are covered.  I have a Garmin that has G shock to save the file in event of a collision, and it has gps imprinting that shows your location, time and speed.

Plenty on Amazon.

Edited by deicer

Most of the news media are stating the same thing ie bus getting T-boned It's a quote from a Nipawin Hawks manager. Its clearly incorrect.

The bus is designed to have the roof peel back to absorb energy from a crash. this was clearly a high energy crash by the bus into the trailer loaded with bales of  peat moss.

Unfortunately we can't put traffic lights at every intersection of primary and secondary highways so driver awareness is really the only option. The stop sign does have flashing lights but I'm not sure if there are rumble strips on 335 prior to the intersection.

3 hours ago, Fido said:

There are probably hundreds of these intersections all over the Prairies.

Hundreds, if not more, agreed.

Section lines: Such an easy way to learn navigation skills. And the difference between true north and magnetic north.

Edited by Moon The Loon

18 hours ago, Fido said:

There are probably hundreds of these intersections all over the Prairies.

Yes there are. It's super easy to put in the rumble strips. It's small notches in the pavement. Many highways in Alberta have them on the shoulders too. That's 1,000's of km of rumble strips.

It would take any serious effort to identify the busier instructions and prioritize it. 

Or we could respond lik eAF in YYZ and do basically nothing.

Humas will make mistakes, all we can do is reduce the risk where possible. 

On 4/9/2018 at 4:37 PM, Kip Powick said:

If you take a close look at the wreckage, numerous photos on the Net, it would appear that the front of the truck has no damage. A WAG would be the bus ....possibly ran into the trailer of the truck and looking at all the wheels, perhaps there was another trailer attached to the main trailer. Be interesting to see the final outcome of the investigation.

Like I said...

2 hours ago, Moon The Loon said:

Like I said...

I was watching the CH 9 CTV news (YZ) last night and twice the news- person stated that the truck had T-boned the bus.........

I fired off an email and asked ....where did you get that information as the authorities, (RCMP), have not stated that was the case....?

I asked if they looked closely at the photos because it is pretty evident, IMO,  that there is no damage to the front end of the Tractor and the load of peat moss was blown over the terrain as if it was hit by something. The load did not disperse like it would have  if the Truck had T-Boned the bus..

I did not receive a reply.......

But tonight the news-person did a bunch of back-tracking and stated that it would be weeks before the RCMP could release details about the  cause of the accident..

The Press......:angry:

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Bobcaygeon said:

It's super easy to put in the rumble strips

A couple of bad intersections that I know of were fixed by building 'S' turns into the secondary road before the intersection with the main highway.

• 2 weeks later...

19 April 2018

REGINA—Police say it’s too early to say what happened in a fatal bus crash involving the Humboldt Broncos junior hockey team and whether charges will be laid.

RCMP Assistant Commissioner Curtis Zablocki says what is certain is that a tractor-trailer was in the intersection when the truck and the team bus collided on April 6.

“All of our efforts are dedicated to determining why the tractor-trailer unit was in the intersection,” Zablocki said Thursday.

“We know the road conditions were clear and the sun was shining at the time of the collision.”

There’s something about this horrible crash that I’m not getting.

The truck driver survived. There were other parents in a car driving behind the team bus. Apparently it was daytime so how many witnesses are required to solve the accident? Whether the truck stopped or blew the stop sign, did the bus driver not see the truck rolling through the intersection until it was too late? 

Why are the RCMP so slow to provide some reason for this accident?

E4E691C8-CDFF-4930-B7A9-AD5CA78F7804.jpeg

Edited by blues deville