NYC Helicopter Crash

The guy on the ground should have parked between the lines.

He is about 10 feet right of his mark.  the lander should be able to land on his mark without question.  EVERYBODY needs to follow the rules.

NTSB Report

https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20121118X14342&ntsbno=WPR13GA044A&akey=1

Yes. There are longer versions of the video with the first copter being pushed out right of the desigated parking spot. Not sure if anyone was sitting in that cockpit but the window and frame were quickly removed by the flying debris. 

2 hours ago, boestar said:

The guy on the ground should have parked between the lines.

He is about 10 feet right of his mark.  the lander should be able to land on his mark without question.  EVERYBODY needs to follow the rules.

NTSB Report

https://www.ntsb.gov/about/employment/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief2.aspx?ev_id=20121118X14342&ntsbno=WPR13GA044A&akey=1

While that is important, there is also no need to park your aircraft in a spot.....IF YOU KNOW or are UNSURE if there was enough room for your aircraft...it is called common sense. Seems a few folks including the pilot of the lander made ASSUMPTIONS that were incorrect.

(I did not read the NTSB report..but will........going out for anniversary #53... dinner)  

14 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

(I did not read the NTSB report..but will........going out for anniversary #53... dinner)  

Happy 53rd Kip

The spots are there for a reason,  marked for a reason, and usually numbered (or named) for a reason. Relying on others to compensate for “deviation” is fraught with potential and seems like tempting fate to me… too often the availability of common sense is inversely proportional to the timing of its needfulness. Most helicopter pilots are superstitious by nature, being positioned like that would have made me very nervous.

Archived