Country Classification

rudder

10 hours ago, rudder said:

I cannot think of a potential airline customer in the first world for first generation E190’s. Perhaps destined for second or third world operators. 

Wow, seriously?! Haven't heard those terms in the past 3 decades or so! There is no sensitivity and political correctness training at AC?!

3 hours ago, MD2 said:

I see, for PR sake I think it's best if you guys don't mention publicly who you work for! 

I think we all know what it means. 

While slightly outdated, the term is still relevant and is not malicious.

It's certainly not as outdated and much more relevant than your postmodern PC concepts.

30 minutes ago, j.k. said:

I think we all know what it means. 

While slightly outdated, the term is still relevant and is not malicious.

It's certainly not as outdated and much more relevant than your postmodern PC concepts.

That's the way MD2 rolls - has a big hate for AC and when he can't find anything the company has done to rant about will rant about anybody who looks like they might work there.

MD2 who?? Stand up and be counted, stop hiding (like the rest of us) behind a name that was cloned by a movie gone far, far away into the distance at warp speed......... 

Please state your Name, Rank, Company and their # attached to your name before posting here again! 

:white::box::icon_jook:

Amen.......:rolleyes: (LOL)

seeker (and a couple of others it seems) is humble enough to consider himself synonymous with Air Canada! These reactions can be explained by one word: prejudice, or arrogance, take your pick. Instead of apologizing for use of prejudiced and inappropriate terminology keep trying to defend and justify that which cannot be defended or justified, just because your buddy was the one who said it and he can do no wrong, very mature!

9 hours ago, MD2 said:

seeker (and a couple of others it seems) is humble enough to consider himself synonymous with Air Canada! These reactions can be explained by one word: prejudice, or arrogance, take your pick. Instead of apologizing for use of prejudiced and inappropriate terminology keep trying to defend and justify that which cannot be defended or justified, just because your buddy was the one who said it and he can do no wrong, very mature!

Wow. You're really out to lunch on this and your continued ignorance on the term shows your interest in nitpicking at nothing over something that is not incorrect. 

This isn't synonymous to insulting a place or its people you seem determined to infer. 

In fact, the recently in-fashion "undeveloped/developing/developed" is now viewed as incorrect and was never an accurate replacement for the "first/second/third" which was a division based of geopolitical alliance.

If you're going to get outraged, at least get it right Princess.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, j.k. said:

Wow. You're really out to lunch on this and your continued ignorance on the term shows your interest in nitpicking at nothing over something that is not incorrect. 

This isn't synonymous to insulting a place or its people you seem determined to infer. 

In fact, the recently in-fashion "undeveloped/developing/developed" is now viewed as incorrect and was never an accurate replacement for the "first/second/third" which was a division based of geopolitical alliance.

It's very interesting.  MD2 has, inadvertently I'm sure, shown us the true heart of the problem with post-modernism.  His rash anger over what seems to the rest of us to be nothing at all succinctly encapsulates much of what is wrong with our society today.  

You can go to wikipedia, or read conehead's link a few posts above, and see that the term "third world" originated merely as a way of grouping countries that were neither part of the western democracies (first world) or the communist (second world).  It then morphed into meaning "developing countries."  Neither of those two meanings has any disparaging aspect.  The only way it becomes disrespectful or a slur is if you apply a post-modern point-of-view.  MD2 believes, and wants us to believe, that the mere act of categorizing is the equivalent of discrimination.

Post-modernism seeks to destroy the ability to categorize or to determine the value of anything.  Obviously this is impossible.  Everything and everyone must categorize and value rank - it's the fundamental necessity of world. Even language itself specifies, groups, excludes and includes - that's it's purpose.  Everything from a human buying paint at the hardware store to a monkey picking fruit off the tree relies on categorizing and ranking value but according to a post-modernist you must never make a value judgement about a country, a group of people or anything - every culture, every country, every person, every thought, every belief is exactly equal - none better than the other. This is why he reacted so strongly - simply grouping countries implies ranking and relative value and that's a big no-no. 

Take life-expectancy for example; longer in a western country than a developing country.  Isn't it logical to conclude that this alone is enough to show that a western society is "better" than the other?  Clearly, living longer is "better" than dying young.  Now, factor in education opportunities, quality of life, property rights, personal freedoms, the rule of law, etc, etc.  That's not to say that effort, serious effort, shouldn't be made to improve things in those countries that fall lower on the list and it certainly doesn't suggest that people from those countries or cultures have less worth or should be dismissed, ignored or treated differently.  On a societal level however a rational person will say "this" is better than "that" so let's try to improve "that."  A post-modernist will say the whole thing is arbitrary and "this" is not better than "that" even though there might be a dozen ways of measuring the fact that it really is.

1 hour ago, seeker said:

..........but according to a post-modernist you must never make a value judgement about a country, a group of people or anything - every culture, every country, every person, every thought, every belief is exactly equal - none better than the other. This is why he reacted so strongly - simply grouping countries implies ranking and relative value and that's a big no-no. 

I guess the author of that quoted statement has never read "Animal Farm"...;)

Post-modernism seeks to destroy the ability to categorize or to determine the value of anything.  Obviously this is impossible.  Everything and everyone must categorize and value rank - it's the fundamental necessity of world. Even language itself specifies, groups, excludes and includes - that's it's purpose.  Everything from a human buying paint at the hardware store to a monkey picking fruit off the tree relies on categorizing and ranking value but according to a post-modernist you must never make a value judgement about a country, a group of people or anything - every culture, every country, every person, every thought, every belief is exactly equal - none better than the other. This is why he reacted so strongly - simply grouping countries implies ranking and relative value and that's a big no-no.“

Seeker, you make some good points.  I like this quote from Noam Chomsky about postmodernist intellectuals; “Seriously, what are the principles of their theories, on what evidence are they based, what do they explain that wasn't already obvious, etc? These are fair requests for anyone to make. If they can't be met, then I'd suggest recourse to Hume's advice in similar circumstances: to the flames.”

14 hours ago, j.k. said:

Frankly dear, you don't know what you don't know. It seems that you and few other individuals see being born in a country as an accomplishment and distinction and take comfort in assigning to yourselves the rank of the "first world".  And then instead of correcting (never mind apologizing because that takes humility) for what was seemingly an oversight at first glance persist in rationalization and vilification of those who speak up against discrimination. And then grasp at straws by quoting some ancient self-righteous way of thinking or presenting some media reports as evidence. My dear, since when is the media the touchstone of humanity and correctness, or why quote some one who represents a bankrupt mentality? 

If the corrupt priests and pompous noblemen are as first and second world, then I much rather be ranked amongst the "commoner" "third world" folks. If this is ignorance, much better ignorance than "arrogance", "greed" and "pride" to categorize the world in a way to extend one's own defected view of the world as the undeniable fact and show "wrath" towards those speaking up. Although facts would seem to direct ignorance in the other direction. After all, what value would a categorization have if it seeks to elevate one's own status and demean others.  Whereas in reality, those places that the ignorant perceive as "third world", places like the Middle-East, China, India, South-East Asia, among others are at the forefront of technological advancement and growth in many industries including aviation.

Just as a tree is known by its fruits, a corporation can be known by its people. Next time people want to book a flight into one of these so called "third world" countries, I wonder if they should consider how employees of a certain airline really view their countries and their peoples. I know I will.

7:6.

7 hours ago, MD2 said:

Frankly dear, you don't know what you don't know. It seems that you and few other individuals see being born in a country as an accomplishment and distinction and take comfort in assigning to yourselves the rank of the "first world".  And then instead of correcting (never mind apologizing because that takes humility) for what was seemingly an oversight at first glance persist in rationalization and vilification of those who speak up against discrimination. And then grasp at straws by quoting some ancient self-righteous way of thinking or presenting some media reports as evidence. My dear, since when is the media the touchstone of humanity and correctness, or why quote some one who represents a bankrupt mentality? 

If the corrupt priests and pompous noblemen are as first and second world, then I much rather be ranked amongst the "commoner" "third world" folks. If this is ignorance, much better ignorance than "arrogance", "greed" and "pride" to categorize the world in a way to extend one's own defected view of the world as the undeniable fact and show "wrath" towards those speaking up. Although facts would seem to direct ignorance in the other direction. After all, what value would a categorization have if it seeks to elevate one's own status and demean others.  Whereas in reality, those places that the ignorant perceive as "third world", places like the Middle-East, China, India, South-East Asia, among others are at the forefront of technological advancement and growth in many industries including aviation.

Just as a tree is known by its fruits, a corporation can be known by its people. Next time people want to book a flight into one of these so called "third world" countries, I wonder if they should consider how employees of a certain airline really view their countries and their peoples. I know I will.

7:6.

MD...Please refrain from quoting the  Bible in an attempt to bolster your argument ...which IMO is not really a discussion..

Moderator....................perhaps you could d DELETE or MOVE to the other forum where this thread starts to really go off the rails

As a last resort.................In most forums TROLLS are just ignored...perhaps all of us could do that 

2 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

MD...Please refrain from quoting the  Bible in an attempt to bolster your argument ...which IMO is not really a discussion..

Moderator....................perhaps you could d DELETE or MOVE to the other forum where this thread starts to really go off the rails

As a last resort.................In most forums TROLLS are just ignored...perhaps all of us could do that 

Notwithstanding your rude and presumptuous comments and your attempt at bullying, just because you close your eyes doesn't mean the sun disappeared! So long!