Sign in to follow this  
airbrake

Swoop - Apply now

This thread has the potential to be very volatile.  I've heard that the WJ pilots have approached other airline pilots to have any Swoop pilots blackballed. 

It will be interesting to see if they get many pilots that fit their qualifications if the wages are really bad. How do they compare to some of our smaller airlines? Considering the current (or so we are told) pilot shortage, are there really that many pilots looking to work for Scoop?

General Qualifications: (the following minimum qualifications are required prior to offer of employment)

•    5000 hours total time
•    2000 hours on Transport Category aircraft with 500 hours on Transport Category jet aircraft
•    Legally entitled to work in Canada
•    Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot’s license (ATPL)
•    Valid Transport Canada instrument rating
•    Valid Transport Canada Category 1 medical certificate
•    Oral and written proficiency in English
•    Valid Canadian passport

1 hour ago, seeker said:

This thread has the potential to be very volatile.  I've heard that the WJ pilots have approached other airline pilots to have any Swoop pilots blackballed. 

And how would they do that?

19 minutes ago, blues deville said:

And how would they do that?

I don't know.  Maybe it isn't possible but if the word spreads that this is their feeling it might reduce the number who apply.  Of course some just want to get enough time to fly overseas.  Here's the Avcanada thread:

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=121651&hilit=swoop

Edited by seeker

Remember when WJ swore they would never do this sort of stuff. I’ve been around this forum long enough to remember the AC CCAA and common employer days… those posts would make for some interesting reading now. When WJ pilots refuse to deadhead in the jump seat (and vice versa)  you will know you’ve arrived. Beware the next downturn. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

45 minutes ago, seeker said:

I don't know.  Maybe it isn't possible but if the word spreads that this is their feeling it might reduce the number who apply.  Of course some just want to get enough time to fly overseas.  Here's the Avcanada thread:

http://www.avcanada.ca/forums2/viewtopic.php?f=36&t=121651&hilit=swoop

Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. What were the WS pilot payscales in 1996? 

Edited by blues deville

1 hour ago, blues deville said:

Dumbest thing I’ve ever heard. What were the WS pilot payscales in 1996? 

I don't think I'd call it "dumb."  It's just human nature - everybody wants to get ahead of the other guy and/or protect what they have.  I'd call it "self-serving."

It is ironic though.  Back when Westjet started they were essentially stealing passengers, jobs and growth from Air Canada and Canadian.  Naturally nobody from AC or CDN liked that very much and told them so.  I distinctly remember comments from the upstart Westjetters about pilots, and other staff, at AC being overpaid and underworked!  I distinctly remember the reply, "wait till you're big enough for someone to undercut you and you'll have a different opinion."  Well, here it is - their jobs, pay scale and productivity is about to be undercut by their own management (again, 'cause Encore was kinda the same thing).

Edited by seeker
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

... and pilots can be relied upon to take the bait every time.

How many WJ FO's are expected to jump the seniority que at WJ in return for the left seat at swoop? 

2 hours ago, seeker said:

I don't think I'd call it "dumb."  It's just human nature - everybody wants to get ahead of the other guy and/or protect what they have.  I'd call it "self-serving."

Well you can call your rumour whatever you want. If there’s any truth to it I’ll stick with my commentary. Thanks. 

Edited by blues deville

A lot of water under the bridge, reality is WestJet Pilots are now ALPA and IFALPA put out a hiring ban on Swoop.  Those wages are insulting for a 5000 hr 737 Captain.

12 minutes ago, Johnny said:

A lot of water under the bridge, reality is WestJet Pilots are now ALPA and IFALPA put out a hiring ban on Swoop.  Those wages are insulting for a 5000 hr 737 Captain.

So would it be fair to say, they will not get any applicants? But we would only be talking about a 200hr 737 Captain as that is the number put on Jet Experience.

37 minutes ago, Johnny said:

Insulting? Westjet paid the same or less out of the gate to fly older patched up equipment. 

Pilots will apply no matter how any international union may feel about the business plan. I guess the sim building will have separate WS and Swoop days. Wouldn’t want to see a disagreement on the drawbridge.

Edited by blues deville

Or on the hotel shuttle....or airport crew bypass. This industry is rife with either hypocrites and two-faced masqueraders....or folks with extreme short-term memory loss. There will be absolutely no shortage of applicants, for the posted positions. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, vrefplus5 said:

There will be absolutely no shortage of applicants, for the posted positions. 

I wouldn't go quite that far.  Both Westjet and AC are hiring like crazy.  If you were a qualified applicant where would you rather go?  So yeah, there will be applicants but I don't think Swoop will getting the pick of the litter.  Add in fact that everyone knows the working conditions will suck and the fact that having worked there will carry a taint....I don't think they'll be stacking resumes in a shipping container 'cause they ran out of room in HR.

If you want to be an AirCanada pilot:

Job Requirements
2000 hours of fixed wing flying time
Completion of schooling to the university entrance level
Ability to pass the Air Canada and Transport Canada medical and visual acuity requirements for a Category 1 medical certificate
Canadian Airline Transport Pilot Licence (ATPL), current Group 1 (Multi-engine) Instrument Rating
Canadian citizenship or landed immigrant status
Pilot applications far exceed job vacancies, so preference is given to candidates with qualifications beyond the basic requirements. Examples of desirable additional qualifications include, but are not limited to:

Graduates of a three or four year diploma/degree program from a college or university
Aviation College degree or diploma
Commercial or military flight experience
Jet and/or glass cockpit experience

And if you want to fly for Scoop:

Job Title: Swoop Pilots, Captain
Department: Flight Operations

General Qualifications: (the following minimum qualifications are required prior to offer of employment)

•    5000 hours total time
•    2000 hours on Transport Category aircraft with 500 hours on Transport Category jet aircraft
•    Legally entitled to work in Canada
•    Transport Canada Airline Transport Pilot’s license (ATPL)
•    Valid Transport Canada instrument rating
•    Valid Transport Canada Category 1 medical certificate
•    Oral and written proficiency in English
•    Valid Canadian passport

If your passport is issued by a country other than Canada, you will require the following documents:

• A valid Canadian Permanent Resident Card 
  • All individual visas necessary to operate within WestJet’s network
  • Ability to obtain a Canadian Air Transportation Security Authority (CATSA) Restricted Area Identity card (RAIC). RAIC may be obtained during initial training, but must be valid no later than the completion of Initial Ground School
  • Ability to operate into the United States.

Seems that Scoop is asking for more than AC is when it comes to total hours. And AC wants you to have a better education.

Missed a point Malcolm......Scoop is looking for low time CAPTAINS

AC is looking for pilots that will spend a few years in the right seat and garner experience...It would be hard if not impossible to find a 5000 hour Captain in AC:P

Edited by Kip Powick

We somehow consider a 5000 hr Captain to a be low timer in Canada. DEC jobs on much larger equipment around the globe are being advertised for much the same. And no mention of education. 

Edited by blues deville

11 hours ago, Zan Vetter said:

Highest requirements and lowest pay. I'll bet they get some smart applicants!

I doubt that a SW or Transat pilot would quit to go to SWOOP but would not be surprised to see night cargo carrier pilots look at this opportunity.  And as more Express pilots find disappointment in the FPML process there may be some looking for a new opportunity outside the AC system.

With Rouge, SWOOP, FLAIR, GGN and others - Canada is fast becoming the b scale capital of the world.

2 hours ago, rudder said:

I doubt that a SW or Transat pilot would quit to go to SWOOP but would not be surprised to see night cargo carrier pilots look at this opportunity.  And as more Express pilots find disappointment in the FPML process there may be some looking for a new opportunity outside the AC system.

With Rouge, SWOOP, FLAIR, GGN and others - Canada is fast becoming the b scale capital of the world.

And evidently blessed by those currently working in the industry, at least based on the various contract concessions. 

On 2018-01-13 at 4:21 PM, vrefplus5 said:

There will be absolutely no shortage of applicants, for the posted positions. 

Agreed; and it's proof there is no shortage yet. Within 2 years though... supply side and end state will crush the middle and  money won't matter and won't fix it. Only a down turn will do it then.