Calgary Airport off track AGAIN

Fido

26 minutes ago, Fido said:

Why do they not concentrate on running an airport?

https://globalnews.ca/news/3957578/calgary-international-airport-pet-therpay-cats/

2018-01-12T22-58-47.766Z--640x360.jpg?w=670&quality=70&strip=all

Seems to me that this is part of running an airport.  Customer (guest) satisfaction, calming etc. And of course when one reads the story, Calgary is not the only airport doing this ,Mind you the inclusion of cats could backfire due to allergy complaints.  . Similar programs, with dogs only,  are also running at other areas of high stress such as Calgary Hospitals.

PALS has a number of programs from Senior home to hospital visits, to assisting children to read. Find out more about who and where PALS has been.

All PALS programs are provided free to the clients and facilities we serve. Currently we have three main programs: Pet Visitation Therapy Program, Story PALS and our newest program, Puppy Rooms. The Pet Visitation Therapy Program provides visits to most of the facilities mentioned above. The recipients of this program are primarily persons whose response to other forms of therapy is non-existent, or to whom pet therapy would provide an alternative to other more common forms of therapy.

Story PALS is collaboration with the Calgary Public Libraries where we bring dogs into select libraries for children who are having issues with reading and these children spend some one on one time with the dogs reading to them. It has proven to strengthen the childrens reading ability and increase their confidence levels significantly.

Our newest program is working with the Calgarys universities and other post-secondary institutes and providing some stress release activities during exam times. This program is extremely popular with the students at the University of Calgary, St Marys University College and SAIT.

Below is a list of the facilities that PALS visits at regularly:

Carewest Facilities: Colonel Belcher Veterans Care Centre, Dr. Vernon Fanning Centre, Garrison Green, Boyack Carewest, Glemore Park Carewest, Royal Park Carewest, Sarcee Carewest, Signal Pointe Carewest.

Hospitals: Alberta Childrens Hospital, ACH Urgent Care, Foothills Hospital, Peter Lougheed Hospital, Rocky View General Hospital, South Health Campus

Extendicare Facilities: Cedar Villa Extendicare, Hillcrest Extendicare

Intercare Facilities: Brentwood Care Centre, Chinook Care Centre, Millrise Care Centre, Southwood Care Centre.

Other longterm care facilities: Bethany Care Centre, Bethany Harvest Hills, Beverly Centre, Beverly Centre Midnapore, Bow Crest Care Centre, Bow View Manor, Central Park/Mt Royal Care Centre, ScenicAcres Retirement Care Centre, Wentworth Court, Wentworth Residence, Whitehorn Village, Mayfair Care Centre, McKenzie Towne Care Centre, Father Lacombe Nursing Home, Glamorgan Care Centre, EdgemontRetirement Residence

Other: Emily Follensbee School, Ronald McDonald House, Dr. Gordon Townsend School, CYOC Calgary Young Offenders Centre, Story PALS, Rotary Flames House

53 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Seems to me that this is part of running an airport.  Customer (guest) satisfaction, calming etc.

Agreed.  I don't need to pet a dog or cat when I'm at the airport but sure seems to be well received by some people.

7 hours ago, Fido said:

Maybe getting a baggage system that works should be a higher priority.

I don't travel that often but never had any problem with my baggage arriving on-time or it getting to the aircraft outbound. Guess I will find out if this has changed when I travel (full revenue) in Feb. :D

YYC is a joke.  How’s WestJet agreed to let that ridiculous new terminal with flaws everywhere to be built is a massive failure on their part.  I’ve heard numerous complaints about US and International connections there and people intentionally avoiding it, preferring Edmonton and Vancouver.

Disclaimer: My only personal experience was departing from the hell hole that is the D70-73 swing gates.

But at least there are animals to pet.

The airports involvement is limited to allowing it to happen. Not exactly a resource waster and having watched how effective it is, I’d say it’s a great idea. But then again, I’m a serious dog lover and have enjoyed a quick visit with them several times.

Comfort animals are a "pop-psy" means to relieve stress. Remove the source of stress and ....surprise!! No stress!

I endorse the comments above....address and resolve service delivery issues and you eliminate the " demand" for pets.

But seriously......comfort pets?

I think I'm more comfortable with the concept of " comfort women"!

3 hours ago, UpperDeck said:

Comfort animals are a "pop-psy" means to relieve stress. Remove the source of stress and ....surprise!! No stress!

I endorse the comments above....address and resolve service delivery issues and you eliminate the " demand" for pets.

But seriously......comfort pets?

I think I'm more comfortable with the concept of " comfort women"!

Sure thing there Harvey. 

On 1/13/2018 at 8:04 AM, internet said:

YYC is a joke.  How’s WestJet agreed to let that ridiculous new terminal with flaws everywhere to be built is a massive failure on their part.  I’ve heard numerous complaints about US and International connections there and people intentionally avoiding it, preferring Edmonton and Vancouver.

Disclaimer: My only personal experience was departing from the hell hole that is the D70-73 swing gates.

But at least there are animals to pet.

WestJet didn't agree to anything.  There was nothing to agree to and WestJet blew a gasket once they did see the design plans.  Those plans were leaked by some concerned people at YYC to people at WestJet (and Air Canada as far as I was aware) before they were officially unveiled.  That same night WestJet saw the plans, Durfy blasted Atkinson in a late night phone call and Atkinson told him it was too late to make any substantial design changes but would look at WestJet's feedback and see if anything could be done.  Going from memory but the only real change was the addition of those tiny indoor busses to help (a few) people navigate the long distances.

55 minutes ago, Newman said:

Going from memory but the only real change was the addition of those tiny indoor busses to help (a few) people navigate the long distances.

It’s a good thing they did. Over the holidays, we were connecting in YYC with 1:15 scheduled between flights. Our inbound flight was on time but we were surprised when we went to the International terminal (and to one of the farthest gates from civilization). Our connecting flight was going from A17. Having been seated near the back of the plane, it took a while to deplane. Once off, we walked at a good pace and used the connection shuttle and were still a good 25 minutes from gate to gate. By the time we got to A17, everyone else had boarded and we were being paged to hurry up. 

19 minutes ago, J.O. said:

It’s a good thing they did. Over the holidays, we were connecting in YYC with 1:15 scheduled between flights. Our inbound flight was on time but we were surprised when we went to the International terminal (and to one of the farthest gates from civilization). Our connecting flight was going from A17. Having been seated near the back of the plane, it took a while to deplane. Once off, we walked at a good pace and used the connection shuttle and were still a good 25 minutes from gate to gate. By the time we got to A17, everyone else had boarded and we were being paged to hurry up. 

bad airport design or are connection times not being adjusted to the new reality?  I remember when ORD was expanded, there was the same problem based on what were adequate connection times before the upgrade.

The new international/US/domestic swing gates at YYC are the worst implemented gates I have ever seen with the possible exception of the notorious Gate 35X at Washington National, that domestic passengers have to depart from them at all is an act of cruelty by AC and WS.

Archived