Porter.... grows

37 minutes ago, FA@AC said:

Only until said passengers are asked to pay $1 to cover the airline's cost of providing the increased convenience, or increased comfort or any amenity at all, upon which most of them are promptly swayed back again.

and all I did was post a piece about how good Porter is, how it is viewed and of course reflecting on how it has survived........  then you and Fido...........Hmmmmm:D

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

and all I did was post a piece about how good Porter is, how it is viewed and of course reflecting on how it has survived........  then you and Fido...........Hmmmmm:D

Hmmmm nothing. :)

Yes, Porter has a great product.  I was just disagreeing with one of the conclusions drawn by the writer of the article.

If Porter can provide the services it does and still turn a profit, more power to them.

42 minutes ago, conehead said:

Speaking of Porter fans, what ever happened to The Bean?

I think he got tired of providing detailed analyses that were instantly dumped on, so left rather than wasting more of his time. I for one miss him along with others who have been driven from this forum rather than continuing to put up with rather harsh replies to anything they posted.

10 hours ago, FA@AC said:

Hmmmm nothing. :)

Yes, Porter has a great product.  I was just disagreeing with one of the conclusions drawn by the writer of the article.

If Porter can provide the services it does and still turn a profit, more power to them.

I should have known you would not be a dumper :D

8 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I think he got tired of providing detailed analyses that were instantly dumped on, so left rather than wasting more of his time. I for one miss him along with others who have been driven from this forum rather than continuing to put up with rather harsh replies to anything they posted.

I miss his posts as well.

1 hour ago, blues deville said:

I believe he returned to consulting and perhaps posting anything here would violate the terms of his contract.

Or...... we could call El Beano's departure the use of ........ 

5a454105a893b_BAILOUT.jpg.b3cead74617d861ede782e71e54f9a7d.jpg

........before he became too uncomfortable with his predictions becoming untenable,:P

16 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Or...... we could call El Beano's departure the use of ........ 

5a454105a893b_BAILOUT.jpg.b3cead74617d861ede782e71e54f9a7d.jpg

........before he became too uncomfortable with his predictions becoming untenable,:P

Haha. A possibility considering his viewpoint.

I didn’t mind his industry insights and prognostications, I just didn’t like the arrogant glee he displayed when his predictions of demise came true. He seemed to care not a lick about the people who were left out on the street. 

Porter is such a dumpster fire every day.  I don't understamd why passengers seem so pleased with an airline that just cant seem figure out how to actually airline.  I dont think the charade can continue in its current form.  Big leadership changes are needed there. 

2 minutes ago, Clearlyair said:

Porter is such a dumpster fire every day.  I don't understamd why passengers seem so pleased with an airline that just cant seem figure out how to actually airline.  I dont think the charade can continue in its current form.  Big leadership changes are needed there. 

an amazing first post.  ...

12 hours ago, Clearlyair said:

Wow. A good friend of mine is their CP. So far he hasn’t mentioned any problems with their trash.

• 2 weeks later...

January 8, 2018 7:16 pm
Updated: January 9, 2018 9:27 am

Toronto-bound Porter Airlines passengers told to delete videos or face arrest

sean-oshea1.png?w=55&h=55&crop=1&quality By Sean O’Shea Consumer Reporter  Global News

WATCH ABOVE: Porter Airlines passengers stranded in Boston on Friday were told by a representative they would have to delete videos of an encounter with an agent or face arrest.

They sat on the tarmac at Boston Logan International Airport for about two hours Friday evening and then the planeload of Toronto-bound Porter Airlines passengers returned to the terminal building after a mechanical malfunction on the aircraft.

The flight was cancelled, but the showdown over a consumer’s right to record an airline’s explanation for delay and compensation was about to begin.

“There was a problem with the latch door to the luggage compartment and when it passed 10 o’clock apparently the crew couldn’t fly anymore because … in their words, they would turn into pumpkins,” said Kira Wegler, a Toronto resident on the flight returning from a Florida vacation with her family.

Inside the gate area of the terminal, Porter passengers gathered to find out when they would be able to make it out. They said the public address system wasn’t working in the gate area and travellers had to queue up to get information individually from Porter staff.

READ MORE: WestJet flight attendant grabs passenger’s phone, Toronto-area couple booted from U.K. flight

“As you are waiting in this line, you had no information from the front of the line,” said Josh Howard, who was travelling with Wegler and his parents.

Frustrated by disorganization, some passengers pulled out their phones and began video recording Porter staff delivering information. It was then they were confronted with an unusual demand.

“At that point, the personnel came from behind the desk and started threatening us to call the police if we don’t delete the videos off of our phones and show evidence that it’s gone from our trash bin,” said Wegler.

If they failed to delete their video recordings of the explanations by Porter staff, Wegler said the Porter representative was specific about the consequences.

“They were going to have us arrested,” she said.

“It was very aggressive, taking away from the needs of us as clients and customers,” said Ellen Howard, another Porter passenger.

Many of the travellers agreed to delete their videos out of fear of repercussions.

But Wegler didn’t delete all of her videos and shared footage with Global News.

READ MORE: Airlines can technically kick passengers off flights for taking cellphone videos

The videos appear to show a Porter representative explaining that recording video in the airport is a violation of security rules, which is not true.

“No, there is no law or policy that prohibits filming inside Logan Airport, except in secure areas and of security procedures,” said Kelly Smith, media relations manager
for the Massachusetts Port Authority.

After being asked by Global News to explain what happened, Porter Airlines apologized.

“In this particular case, there was a misunderstanding by the team member involved that taking video at this particular airport beyond the security checkpoint was not permitted,” said Brad Cicero, spokesperson for Porter Airlines.

READ MORE: Stop bumping passengers from overbooked flights, Ottawa tells airlines

“In fact, the prohibition applies to secure airport areas and security screening. He didn’t realize the distinction at the time, but we have advised the team members involved for future reference. While the request to stop filming or delete footage was incorrect, the intention was only to try and enforce what was believed to be an airport policy,” said Cicero.

Passengers interviewed by Global News said Porter customers behaved in a civil way. They said staff members were unnecessarily confrontational.

“Appalling. To me, in a free society, you should be able to videotape in a public place,” said Rick Howard, adding this was his first and likely his last Porter trip.

READ MORE: Passenger bill of rights to outline what airlines owe you for travel disruptions

Many customers faced with denials of compensation choose to record the company representatives’ statements for use in complaints or civil law suits.

It is a practice supported by Dr. Gabor Lukacs, a Halifax-based consumer advocate who coordinates Air Passenger Rights, an independent network of volunteers. Lukacs’ organization encourages travellers to file complaints with airlines and the Canadian Transportation Agency and, if necessary, to sue airlines in small claims courts for compensation they are owed.

Meanwhile, Porter said it doesn’t object to videotaping its employees.

“We do not have any policy that would prevent people from taking video at airports,” said Cicero.

“Circumstances may differ on an aircraft if taking video has the potential to affect safety or the personal comfort of others on board.”

The passengers ended up spending three extra days in Boston until they could be booked on a Porter flight on Monday afternoon.

While Porter provided hotel accommodation and covered the cost of some meals, it’s refusing to pay additional compensation. The airline is citing weather as the cause of the flight delay and not mechanical reasons, which would necessitate cash payment.

“The aircraft door issue would be attributable to weather in this case due to the conditions. If there was a technical defect, for example, then weather would not be considered as the cause,”

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:
“It was very aggressive, taking away from the needs of us as clients and customers,” said Ellen Howard, another Porter passenger. 

The "need" to film airline staff trying to keep passengers informed about a delay during a winter storm?  What an idiot.

20 minutes ago, FA@AC said:

The "need" to film airline staff trying to keep passengers informed about a delay during a winter storm?  What an idiot.

Entitlement, entitlement ......  and the beat goes on. 

Stay in Vermont with your money at par when flying with Porter Airlines Français

News provided by

Porter Airlines Inc.

10:27 ET

TORONTO, Jan. 12, 2018 /CNW/ - Porter Airlines has partnered with Vermont to bring its passengers exclusive at-par savings on winter getaways in the Green Mountain State. Great offers on lodging and lift tickets are available exclusively for Porter passengers who can choose from more than 20 participating properties in Burlington, Stowe area and Mad River Valley. Savings of 20 to 30 per cent mean prices are equivalent to Canadian dollars.

Stay in Vermont with your money at par when flying with Porter Airlines (CNW Group/Porter Airlines Inc.)
Stay in Vermont with your money at par when flying with Porter Airlines (CNW Group/Porter Airlines Inc.)

Vermont offers a variety of winter activities from world-class skiing and riding to relaxing at the state's diverse range of premier accommodations.  

"This partnership with Vermont offers our passengers exclusive savings during their time in the state," said Robert Deluce, president and CEO of Porter Airlines. "There are so many great reasons to visit Vermont this winter, and this program is one more."

"We are excited that passengers who fly to Vermont on Porter Airlines this winter season will receive at-par rates for lodging packages at select hotels, resorts, inns, and bed and breakfasts," said Vermont Department of Tourism and Marketing Commissioner Wendy Knight. "Toronto to Burlington is a quick direct flight on Porter, and we expect this lodging promotion to further boost travel between Canada and Vermont." 

Flights operate twice weekly on Tuesdays and Saturdays from Billy Bishop Toronto City Airport to Burlington International Airport, until March 27, 2018. For complete schedule details, visit www.flyporter.com.

Discounts for accommodation may be applied for new or existing Porter Airlines bookings. For details on specific offers, visit vermontvacation.com.

Archived