Lawyer/Pilot Low Vis Takeoff

blues deville

As we know pilots who operate in all weather ops are re/certified bi-annually to fly in low vis conditions however normally that includes runways with centre line markings and lights. I doubt this runway had the C/L lights. 

An avoidable loss of life.

http://www.cnn.com/2017/12/24/us/florida-plane-crash/?iid=ob_mobile_article_footer_expansion

I saw that story on the news and almost posted a query on this forum; "What happened?". There was dense fog and the pilot got off the runway but the flight ended abruptly and tragically. The news report I saw was that there was NOT a mechanical failure. So....you continue climbing and you're clear of the fog. Can you lose perspective with no visual reference? Reportedly, this fellow was an able and respected pilot.

38 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

I saw that story on the news and almost posted a query on this forum; "What happened?". There was dense fog and the pilot got off the runway but the flight ended abruptly and tragically. The news report I saw was that there was NOT a mechanical failure. So....you continue climbing and you're clear of the fog. Can you lose perspective with no visual reference? Reportedly, this fellow was an able and respected pilot.

He may been a respected pilot but I don’t see how this weather was legal for takeoff. Don’t have any details other than the aircraft photo shows it sitting on the edge of some paved surface. So I would guess he was not able to maintain the center of the runway even if equipped with updated flat screen panels on his Cessna 340. Engine failure or perhaps the stress of the situation maybe a medical event. Very sad to lose several members of a family for really no reason.

4 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Was he rated for IFR

Had he ever been subject to Vertigo ?

Remember John Kennedy ??

Only an egotistical, or very poorly trained  pilot, would take off if the weather was WOXOF

Training and currency would definitely be factors. I doubt too many central Florida private pilots experience this kind of weather very often. For a properly trained airline crew this kind of takeoff has so many procedures and regulations. 

8 hours ago, Fido said:

WOXOF?

Very, very old military saying that  meant Weather...... "0" (ceiling) and "0"(visibility) in FOG

And yes..I am very old, probably the oldest on this forum .... and still occasionally yelling at clouds:P

Have a great  11 :rolleyes:

The opposite of CAFB....I had an x-mil CFI that used to describe bad wx as “50 ft and a low crouch”!

This accident was heartbreaking....not so much for the pilot/lawyer, but for his daughters and their friends. They put their trust in this idiot....all he had to do was say “lets go for breakfast and see what it looks like in an hour”..

And the relevance of his " professional calling" is.....?

I know that members of the legal profession are held in the highest regard and esteemed for their wisdom and judgment which renders this particular event beyond belief and I suppose that is the best reason for describing this fellow as a "lawyer/pilot".......

Excuse me. I have to pause to remove my tongue from my cheek.

Archived