AEF CPU Usage

gator

3 hours ago, Alt* said:

After looking into this, I found that there was a script installed on the site which has since been removed and the vulnerability fixed. thanks for bring this to our attention.

Thanks.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been waiting the last few days, reluctant to post this but I guess it's got to be done.  It appears that a script was added to the website to crypto mine with visitors computers.  Here's what wikipedia says about it (bolding mine):

"The JavaScript implementation of Monero miner Coinhive has made it possible to embed the miner into a website in such a way to utilise website visitor's CPU to mine the cryptocurrency while the visitor is consuming the content of the webpage. While this can be done with user's consent in an effort to provide an alternative funding model to serving ads, some websites have done this without informed consent which has prompted the in-browser miners to be blocked by browser extensions and ad blocking subscription lists."

So, one of two things happened; either the website was hacked/compromised and some 3rd party installed the script or it was installed by our host.  My computer would essentially become unusable upon visiting AEF.  I understand that others had varying degrees of problems and some had no problem at all - likely due to whatever combination of computer/browser/add-on extensions.

It's possible that someone other than our host installed this script.  Another possible explanation is that the script was part of a package that was installed and it was there by oversight rather than design.  I hope this is the explanation.  The least palatable explanation is that our host thought it would be possible to have the script running unnoticed by forum visitors thereby gaining financial benefit from the user's computer and resources.  I realize that the cost of the electricity is pennies but the aggravation it caused me was significant - resetting my browsers, trying other browsers, restarting my computer, messing around with various add-ons, researching, etc, etc.  A big hassle and waste of time.  

Essentially a piece of malware was inserted into the website.  If it was done intentionally with the intent to deceive I feel this is breach of trust.  Yes, yes, I know it's expensive to host the website.  Over the years I have contributed when the opportunity was there, I would pay and have said so.  The reply from our host was that it was not needed.  One other thing I have done, and encouraged others to do, is to whitelist the website in my ad-blocking extension and allow ads, and I click on them too so that there is some revenue generated.  Ironic that my trust in AEF and my whitelisting to allow the website to run unrestricted may have been the reason why I saw a more significant slowdown and greater effect than others.

Anyway, I have messaged our host and am waiting to hear an explanation.  

4 minutes ago, conehead said:

I doubt that our hosts allowed this intentionally.

Three days ago I messaged them and asked about it - received a somewhat evasive answer.  I asked for clarification and haven't heard back yet.  Hopefully the explanation, when it comes, will explain what happened.  As I said in my post I hope it was simply an oversight that allowed the script to be programmed in.

1 hour ago, seeker said:

Three days ago I messaged them and asked about it - received a somewhat evasive answer.  I asked for clarification and haven't heard back yet.  Hopefully the explanation, when it comes, will explain what happened.  As I said in my post I hope it was simply an oversight that allowed the script to be programmed in.

Our host works for a living and is quite often away , so patience.

in all honesty if the script were less invasive then what would the harm in using that processor time to mine some bitcoin.  The only issue is that is consumed 100
% of the processor resources making the computer useless when accessing the site.  Had it used, say, 25% no one would have noticed.  Problem is mining bitcoin take a lot of power to do.

With it current valuation I cannot blame people for trying.

Some people might remember the old SETI screensaver from 10-15 years ago.  It would run calculations when ever the screensaver was active.  I had this and felt it was a good use for excess computer time since it was a not-for-profit organization.  Fundamentally I don't have a problem with "paying" for the website in this way (if that was the intended purpose).  I do however have a big problem with the idea of it happening without an opt-in process (if that's what happened).  Anyway, it was more than likely an oversight.

48 minutes ago, seeker said:

A perfect reply from Malcolm and exactly in character (and the reason why I haven't replied to anything you've posted in 6 months).  I said quite clearly that there are several possible explanations, that I had received a vague and somewhat evasive reply to my question from our hosts, that I am waiting for a more detailed  explanation as to what happened and that I hope it was simply an oversight - you got none of that.  Keep up the good work!

I agree my reply was a bit harsh , so I have removed the last sentence.

experience with websites tells me it is possibly a security issue with the site that was exploited for this purpose.  Patches usually fix this stuff.

2 hours ago, boestar said:

in all honesty if the script were less invasive then what would the harm in using that processor time to mine some bitcoin.  The only issue is that is consumed 100
% of the processor resources making the computer useless when accessing the site.  Had it used, say, 25% no one would have noticed.  Problem is mining bitcoin take a lot of power to do.

With it current valuation I cannot blame people for trying.

The slowness that this caused was the final straw in my decision to upgrade my computer because, originally, I thought the problem was at my end.

I was due in a few months anyway, so maybe it's a good thing... I do like my new machine with all of its working screen hinges, battery that lasts more than 45 minutes and no missing or stuck keys.:D

A couple of parameters would have made the running code almost imperceptible.

2 hours ago, Malcolm said:

I agree my reply was a bit harsh , so I have removed the last sentence.

Thank you.  I'll remove my post as well and we can start the year on good terms as Kip suggests.

• 2 months later...

When Gator posted the OP I pulled up the Activity Monitor App in Mac OS and the CPU usage was maxed out. I have never seen this happen in any normal use and the fans rarely crank up in my usage so something unusual was going on.

Looks like Seekers link lends truth to the suspicion that someone was using us.

Weird stuff going on. As something of a Dinosaur I remain skeptical about Cryptocurrencies, where does the validation and some sort of control lie ?

• 3 weeks later...

Archived