YYZ

wizard

On 2017-12-23 at 7:11 PM, Kip Powick said:

Lotta talk...... but how many have initiated any written correspondence about all your actual, and possibly perceived, problems with GTTA and ATC?

And believe it or not, I did make a major change by initiating one piece of paper with respect to smoking in DND cockpits.

Sooooo... it was you eh??

During my short airline career I had the misfortune of diverting to Ottawa and Toronto (once each) with passengers from the US so we needed customs. What a mess! We didn’t make the news but it was certainly the subject of a “write up.” Looks like you had more success with the DND smoking thing. LOL, thanks a lot…I’ve broken that one a few times on high stakes, maritime PLE type SAR scenarios (in dreadful weather) but I think the statute of limitations has passed by now. 

Best wishes to all

CYYZ is an embarrassment. CYUL not far behind.

Any aspirations for a carrier to offer a 'world class' experience that transits either of these facilities will be a daunting task.

However, any issues that arise out of staffing problems strictly within the control of the operator should not be attributed to deficiencies with the airport. 

This airport keeps attracting more airlines but doesn’t provide infrastructure...hardly fault of the customers/tenants which pay some of the highest landing fees/rents in the world. All of the above complaints are valid from atc to lack of gates to inefficient Cbsa. If the airport can’t process passengers, delays are inevitable.

On 12/24/2017 at 5:22 AM, Kip Powick said:

With respect...your line I have quoted above is basically true...however, I would like to remind you that EVERYTHING in this world is the result of ONE person having an idea and putting it forth.

Changes seldom, if ever, happen overnight but constant knocking on the door  oft times gets the door to open, and even if it is just a crack, light may shine through.;)

Of course I agree with you, but if every knock on the door results in a "boy you really **bleep** them off this time" chat with one of my superiors it isn't going to encourage me or anyone else to try again and again.

Not enough gates stifles expansion, slots and therefore competition so I’m not sure the incumbent airlines are crying for more gates with too much sincerity. Talking a big game, but secretly happy the airport is capped out. “I coulda been a contender.” Yeah, save it guys. 

Well, I’ll give the Gtaa an attaboy for responding and admitting a problem:

“We were sorry to read that our custodial services team were not present in the vicinity of your gate while you waited for your flight and apologize for the state in which you found the gate. The greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) ensures that a very high standard of sanitation is incorporated into our day-to-day cleaning routines in all GTAA operated buildings that is equal to or exceeds the recommendations set by public health authorities. These efforts aside, your experience highlights the fact that there was sub-par service which is not typical of our normal service standards and was indeed recorded as a service failure. We thank you for bringing this matter to our attention and would like to assure you that your feedback will be addressed with the cleaning contractor. The cleaning staff and supervisors have been advised that they are to be more vigilant in checking the washrooms at all times.”

Not sure I’d get the same response from NavCanada.

On December 25, 2017 at 1:04 PM, Malcolm said:

Thanks, I see at 10:54EST Dec 26, YYZ is so far leading the pack

APRT Arr Rwy Dep Rwy AAR Details
CYUL 24R/24L 24L/24R 24 SNOW CLEARING 1430-1600 AAR 24
CYYZ 23/24R 23/24R 56  
CYYC 17L/R 17L/R 44  
CYVR 08L/R 08R 28

YYZ has an 33 for ARR with ground stops due to they can't keep up with deicing GTAA needs another deicing bay as its a joke in YYZ.flights at out stations are getting hammered with cancelations and delays due this GTAA joke of an operation.

Like I said, when the 2 busiest airports in the country run with the flow rate of a busy US municipal airport then you quickly realize that is is nearly impossible for the CDN operators to offer a truly world class product.

Thanks Minister Garneau. How are things doing at the ISS? Any arrival/departure delays? 

Surely YYZ should be used to and should be ready for a Canadian Winter, but it appears not.

Wintry weather forces brief ground stop, hundreds of cancellations at Canada's busiest airport

High winds mean fewer flights getting off the ground, delays expected to persist into evening

CBC News Posted: Jan 01, 2018 6:16 PM ET Last Updated: Jan 01, 2018 6:47 PM ET

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) confirms the windy weather means the number of flights that can get off the ground was reduced Monday afternoon and the lag is expected to continue in the evening, especially on arriving flights. (Jonathan Castell/CBC)

Wintry conditions and high winds forced a brief ground stop and led to hundreds of cancellations at Canada's busiest airport, despite Monday's cancellation of an extreme cold weather alert for Toronto and surrounding areas.

Snow squalls in the area led to a temporary ground stop being issued at Pearson International Airport, said WestJet spokesperson Lauren Stewart. Sixteen WestJet flights were cancelled and several more were delayed, before traffic began moving again. 

The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) confirms the windy weather means the number of flights getting off the ground was reduced Monday afternoon. The lag is expected to continue into the evening, especially on arriving flights, said GTAA spokesperson Beverly MacDonald.

As of 5:45 p.m., more than 200 flights had been cancelled. That number includes 116 arrivals and 102 departures.

"It's just a lower rate to make sure that in between each flight everything is smooth and efficient on the ground, and safe. So instead of trying to have higher numbers taking off on departing at once, we just reduce that rate so that we can ensure the safety of everyone," said MacDonald, adding that airlines, not the airport, make the decision about which flights get cancelled.

Extreme cold weather alert cancelled

The flight reduction comes even as Environment Canada cancelled extreme cold weather alerts for the city and many surrounding regions. However, warnings remain in effect on Monday evening for areas north and east of the city, including York and Durham regions.

Monday's forecast high is -9 C, and the forecast low is -19 C, but will feel more like -26 with the wind.

Regular traffic will be able to resume if the winds decrease, MacDonald said.

For now, the airport authority recommends passengers check online about the status of their flights before heading to the airport.

On January 2, 2018 at 7:39 AM, J.O. said:

Yesterday’s situation was nothing new. Strong northwest winds kill capacity because they can’t run independent IFR arrivals on the 33’s. 

Why Not ?    Is the nav aids not set up for runway 33 ? Just wondering is it a work to rule by YYZ ATC or do they have understaffing issues ?

Only 2 runways instead of 3 and the 33s are too close for independent operation so the 33s operate more like 24 L and R, with no 23. 

Plus, of course, there is no consistency in separation and no desire to use time instead of distance to separate traffic during high wind conditions (used quite successfully in LHR). 

I still don’t get it...what specifically are the requirements for “independent operations”?

If the missed approach procedure 33l is an issue, can it not be addressed by tower instruction (ie immediate left 290 to avoid dep 33r?). And if it is a problem, why the he*& can’t Nav Canada fix it....it is costing customers $$$$$.

The runways are way too close for independent ops. Even 23 / 24 requires special procedures as they are closer than the standard 3 miles. Also, as LHR has determined, when running close parallel operations, it is more efficient to run landing on one runway and takeoff on the other rather than trying to intersperse landings and departures on both runways, because you have to have to wait for people to taxi to position and not everyone takes the runway at the same speed, so extra space has to be allotted for the arrivals.

Now that I have defended dependent ops, Nav Canada can't seem to keep vectors tight enough to keep arrivals on minimum spacing. I think part of it is that they don't really use speed control... unless you get a bit too close to the guy in front of you and they tell you to reduce to minimum. Otherwise, instead of "speed 180", it's "cross the FAF at 170", which just reeks of really crappy, loose spacing... the fact that they can let us decide when to slow down means that it is not efficient spacing. And, as I said previously, time between arrivals is more important than distance. In YYZ, they use the same spacing with a 35 kt headwind as they use at 5 kts, even though 3 mile separation at 110 kts GS means a lot more empty runway that 3 miles at 140. Wake turbulence with a 35 kt wind is almost non-existent. 

As I mentioned, there is a problem in Yz with traffic and Nav Canada seems satisfied with status quo..when is the last time they looked at their Man Ops or whatever they call it. Same old complaint...look at traffic volumes at US airports...time to update procedures!

Archived