YYZ

wizard

Why is YYZ such a **bleep** show that basically comes to a stand still on a day with no real weather issues like today they have a 2 hour ground stop ?? Is it staff shortages in ATC ?  Like somebody needs to be held accountable for this. YYZ has become top 3 worst airports in The North America for moving traffic it's just a laughing stock. Shocked nobody talks about how bad YYZ has become in the last 18 months.

Absolutely. 

NavCanada is a disappointment. So is the GTAA for that matter.

The rules and procedures they both put in place and the little castles they defend 

Staff shortages, holiday book offs, OT generating deals... business suffers, passengers suffer.

12 hours ago, wizard said:

Why is YYZ such a **bleep** show that basically comes to a stand still on a day with no real weather issues like today they have a 2 hour ground stop ?? Is it staff shortages in ATC ?  Like somebody needs to be held accountable for this. YYZ has become top 3 worst airports in The North America for moving traffic it's just a laughing stock. Shocked nobody talks about how bad YYZ has become in the last 18 months.

18 years is more like it. It's embarrassing taking a flight into or out of (as pilot or passenger) this "world class airport"  EGCC/London Gatwick moves more tin on a single runway.

Aside from the usual complaints about escalators/moving sidewalks out of service, lack of space in boarding lounges, and money wasted on departure “flowers” and viewing towers..the Gtaa could start by cleaning up garbage people leave in the boarding lounges. The one I was in the other night had crap all over the place. Also, the men’s washrooms always smell like urine. Third world, hardly world class.

36 minutes ago, st27 said:

Aside from the usual complaints about escalators/moving sidewalks out of service, lack of space in boarding lounges, and money wasted on departure “flowers” and viewing towers..the Gtaa could start by cleaning up garbage people leave in the boarding lounges. The one I was in the other night had crap all over the place. Also, the men’s washrooms always smell like urine. Third world, hardly world class.

Perhaps the urine smell could be combated with a simple sign:

Image result for we aim to please so please aim too

Lotta talk...... but how many have initiated any written correspondence about all your actual, and possibly perceived, problems with GTTA and ATC?

The pat answer is to say "what's the use?" but bare in mind nothing will ever get changed unless someone starts the ball rolling.

I don't think any airline employee can be that busy that they couldn't take the time to start the paper machine movement.

Venting is good for the soul and perhaps your health, but does nothing to address the problem.

Yes, being retired affords me the time to send out the letters and oft times I know that I am but a sparrow fart in a hurricane  with respect to my opinion but....you see, eventually they have to take the time  and efforts to at least send me an answer. :P and that is some satisfaction.....

And believe it or not, I did make a major change by initiating one piece of paper with respect to smoking in DND cockpits.

Just did Kip, and before our departure I advised our Stoc to call Gtaa and clean up the mess in the lounge and on th Bridge.

And previously when I tried to comment on the Gtaa website, it didn’t allow employee input!

Looks like tomorrow's forcast is not good. Calling for 15 cm in the GTA. YYZ will come to stand still and I will predict cancelations will be huge starting in the afternoon and will continue into Christmas Day. Looks like a lot of people will be stuck for Christmas.

I have never worked anywhere where it was really practical or well received to individually take complaints to vendors or landlords without going through some bureaucratic channel. One facility won't even talk to my subordinates, if someone calls them they just call me. That is just how they do it and they're not going to manage a list of people I delegate to deal with them. 

This annoys me to no end because my interest in managing passes and maintenance issues is absolute zero. 

But yeah, I flew home to YYC for Christmas via YYZ on the 23rd and it was just one unjustifiable mess after another, GTAA, CBSA, CATSA and airline. 

2 hours ago, Super 80 said:

I have never worked anywhere where it was really practical or well received to individually take complaints to vendors or landlords without going through some bureaucratic channel.

With respect...your line I have quoted above is basically true...however, I would like to remind you that EVERYTHING in this world is the result of ONE person having an idea and putting it forth.

Changes seldom, if ever, happen overnight but constant knocking on the door  oft times gets the door to open, and even if it is just a crack, light may shine through.;)

sending.png.854b5559733ccb6f8d4602e2c59a1d70.png

The hardest thing to change is bad policy.  Nowhere is this more true than at Nav Canada and the GTAA. 

And the biggest shame is that it usually takes 2 generations of management to change bad policy because the new guy often doesn't want to sully the legacy of his predecessor who instituted the bad policy, usually a previous boss, or even friend.

I, too, am a letter writer and with respect to both of the organizations at CYYZ and, despite initial hope, our Minister of Transport, IMO, nothing will happen to improve the situation (from many aspects... ATC, noise, deicing, user fees, landing fees, airport land rents, out of control spending....) for many years. 

4 hours ago, Super 80 said:

But yeah, I flew home to YYC for Christmas via YYZ on the 23rd and it was just one unjustifiable mess after another, GTAA, CBSA, CATSA and airline. 

Just spoke with friends who were travelling YOW-YYZ-YXE with Air Canada on the 22nd. Took them 30 hours, most of that spent in YYZ. They finally arrived at destination late on the 23rd.  He told me the delay was mostly caused by the fact that after landing in YYZ, they sat for over an hour waiting for a gate, thus missing the connection to Saskatoon, thus getting re-booked for the next day. They were not very happy, and as full-fare paying passengers, they’ll probably try the competition next time.  

Not so much a ramp crew issue, but rather lack of gate issue.  GTAA should have built out the third pier while they still had shovels in the ground.  That is why the 'H' gates are being utilised.

And it just isn't at T1 that there is a lack of gates, so not exclusively an AC issue.

1 hour ago, conehead said:

Just spoke with friends who were travelling YOW-YYZ-YXE with Air Canada on the 22nd. Took them 30 hours, most of that spent in YYZ. They finally arrived at destination late on the 23rd.  He told me the delay was mostly caused by the fact that after landing in YYZ, they sat for over an hour waiting for a gate, thus missing the connection to Saskatoon, thus getting re-booked for the next day. They were not very happy, and as full-fare paying passengers, they’ll probably try the competition next time.  

I wish them luck as the delay was hardly only the fault of AC. 

1 hour ago, deicer said:

Not so much a ramp crew issue, but rather lack of gate issue.  GTAA should have built out the third pier while they still had shovels in the ground.  That is why the 'H' gates are being utilised.

And it just isn't at T1 that there is a lack of gates, so not exclusively an AC issue.

The AC flights I am referring to were held up short of the assigned gate waiting for ground crew to either move equipment or find staff to safely marshall the aircraft. The tone of the Captain’s voice on the PA was never a happy one.  

8 hours ago, ILB said:

This is a website I always refer to when operating or flying in or out of YYZ: https://extranetapps.navcanada.ca/ois/ois.aspx

If YYZ is showing anything lower than 56 in the AAR column, for any aircraft coming in from anywhere closer than 1500 nm, it's going to be a long day. 

I should know but memory does not serve. By lower than 56 do you mean 75 or 25? 

25. AAR is the aircraft (?) arrival rate. 56 per hour is the best they can achieve, and anything,good golfing conditions included, can and will reduce that rate, resulting in ground delays and ground stops.

22 hours ago, ILB said:

25. AAR is the aircraft (?) arrival rate. 56 per hour is the best they can achieve, and anything,good golfing conditions included, can and will reduce that rate, resulting in ground delays and ground stops.

Thanks, I see at 10:54EST Dec 26, YYZ is so far leading the pack

APRT Arr Rwy Dep Rwy AAR Details
CYUL 24R/24L 24L/24R 24 SNOW CLEARING 1430-1600 AAR 24
CYYZ 23/24R 23/24R 56  
CYYC 17L/R 17L/R 44  
CYVR 08L/R 08R 28

Archived