Perfect Belly Landing

2 hours ago, thor said:

He forgot to fill out the logbook!

Maybe he is one of those "self-maintainers" and was hoping it would go up in flames ...

Seriously, how lucky (or good) do you have to be to have both propellers stop horizontal just seconds before touchdown?

1 hour ago, J.O. said:

Maybe he is one of those "self-maintainers" and was hoping it would go up in flames ...

Seriously, how lucky (or good) do you have to be to have both propellers stop horizontal just seconds before touchdown?

I was the thinking the same thing having visions of trying to land while juggling the starter. 

IMO  there are a lot of unknown facts....

How much experience did he/she have ?

Was he/she an instructor?

Was he/she ex Mil with many hours?

We all know there are many pilots out there that are classified as competent but some are more competent than others.

You have to admit he demonstrated pilot skill and competency that perhaps a lot of other  "qualified" pilots  would not have shown.

Doctors vs Pilots .....No one knows how competent they really are until the $hit hits the  fan.......because if everyone was as "competent" in their profession as the masses think.....there would be no medical law suits and no aircraft accident  investigations labeled "pilot error";)

We're not going to conflate doctors ( MD's) and pilots  are we? For reasons unknown, I always react when the word "profession" is used. I acknowledge that the definition of the word is evolving over time and since there is now reference in some dictionaries to "an extended period of training with formal qualification", it would apply to commercial pilots. Nevertheless, it seems that almost every occupation from plumber to carpenter to "wealth manager" justifies the use of the word. Oh, well. Much ado about nothing; I profess a lot but know little.

I agree with all....no matter what the occupation, there are highly skilled; competent and....almost useless!

41 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

We're not going to conflate doctors ( MD's) and pilots  are we? For reasons unknown, I always react when the word "profession" is used. I acknowledge that the definition of the word is evolving over time and since there is now reference in some dictionaries to "an extended period of training with formal qualification", it would apply to commercial pilots. Nevertheless, it seems that almost every occupation from plumber to carpenter to "wealth manager" justifies the use of the word. Oh, well. Much ado about nothing; I profess a lot but know little.

I agree with all....no matter what the occupation, there are highly skilled; competent and....almost useless!

True dat.  I know some Licensed Aircraft Maintenance Engineers that I wouldn’t allow to work on my lawn mower.

1 hour ago, UpperDeck said:

If I had to make a choice, I'd take the almost useless pilot over the similarly skilled doctor. There's enough safeguards in the system for the pilot to skate by virtually all the time, not so much in medicine.

Archived