For those who flew the DC8 - TCA, 1964

Don Hudson

Glad to hear it is going well.  That said, last I checked, your retirement 'hobbies' included stuff that would tire out a great many of us 'less seasoned' types.

I guess it's true, they don't make 'em like they used to...   I think I would need to pack a spare battery to get me through your day.

All the best

Vs

Got to love the NFB. 

I recognized those snow banks immediately as Capt. Reed stepped out of his house. His neighbourhood looks like West Island Montreal by the style of the homes....maybe Beaconsfield. Those sunken garages were common design in Montreal but a pain for a 10 year old shoveling driveways after school. And check out the space between the homes! Also as he’s driving to YUL he passes a commuter train stopped on its way into the city. Looks like he’s driving on the old 2/20 highway. I love the “hat on” while enroute. I guess those old Chrysler’s had a lot of head room.

I got to fly DC8s based out of YMX. Three types.....61,62 and 63 series. At the time AC was still flying their 70’s and had the only close supply of spares but wouldn’t give them up for good reason of course. My carrier had to do without or fabricate them from scratch. Most of the time it was creative interpretation of the MEL. Main reason why I left and a few years later they had a serious accident which I predicted would happen due to that practice. 

Liked the airplane. Not loved it. It seemed like docking the Queen Mary rather than flying a plane. Douglas took what they knew from the other DC series piston planes and made a jet. One original version for AC had the FO’s seat track so it would slide back to do the panel. Apparently that never happened. Never the less, it was a great experience for me as a pilot and made my next brand new jet from Boeing (757) seem like a dream. After rotating seats with other new hires and doing our required circuits late at night my new CP said to me “so, do you think it flies like a big -63?” I said “way better!”

Great video Don and thanks for sharing. :) 

Unique films...:lol:

Air Canada goes to Jamaica..I guess those DC8's were pretty cold in the winter mornings seeing the pilots wore their jackets until at least top of the climb !!!:lol:

The other film linked in by Malcolm was interesting because...................

Fred Davis, the future host of Front Page Challenge, certainly loved his Brylcreme back then:lol: and I guess back then they referred to aircraft as "ships" because it was basically an air "ship"

Only the sharp eyed, and those of good hearing would realize the flight was done by Canadian Pacific..."fic" was seen in one corner of a camera shot and the name of the "ship" was "The Empress of Japan" and we all know that CP designated many of their aircraft as "Empress"

Now why the difference in naming and not naming the aircraft or airlines and the lack of exterior shots on the CP flight ????..I would guess this....

National Film Board....funded by Canadian Government......

At that time there were close ties between NFB and CBC.......

CBC....funded by Canadian Government.....

Air Canada...funded by Canadian Government.......

++++++ mustn't popularize  Air Canada's competition :lol:.....

Hopefully in 50-75 years there will be similar films that all can draw comparisons from

Great old films and when you consider the flight decks and the procedures now done by the Pilots and Cabin Crew, it would seem the pilots jobs have...perhaps...gotten easier where as the FA's still have to put up with the same stuff and, IMO, even worse conditions considering what society has deemed as appropriate dress and civility as an airline passenger.

Have a nice weekend and fly safe 

KP

6 hours ago, Kip Powick said:

Air Canada...funded by Canadian Government.......

++++++ mustn't popularize  Air Canada's competition :lol:.....

Back to this again. AC was not, repeat, not funded by the Canadian government. It was owned by the Canadian government and the government received dividends from the airline. As the company could not raise money privately it did get government loans which were all paid back with interest. The only thing AC received from the government was the maintenance hanger in YWG which was gifted to AC for political reasons which were that the airline was then committed to keeping the maintenance base in YWG.

Greg

Greg..

It's really no big deal....you and I are out of the game and there was certainly no intent to start a urinating contest about what was what back when I was in grade  six. 

Lotta water under the bridge yet you and I still hear stories from the ill informed  that AC is presently a government run airline..

Enjoy the time we have left and I understand how you might have felt that I was trying to "needle" AC but that was really not my intent.

My intent was to show how "back then" the Feds really didn't want to publicize that there was another airline, out west, flying international routes and to me that was pretty evident with no names/photos and really no indication who Fred was flying with.:P

;)Have a great weekend...

2 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Greg..

It's really no big deal....you and I are out of the game and there was certainly no intent to start a urinating contest about what was what back when I was in grade  six. 

Lotta water under the bridge yet you and I still hear stories from the ill informed  that AC is presently a government run airline..

Enjoy the time we have left and I understand how you might have felt that I was trying to "needle" AC but that was really not my intent.

My intent was to show how "back then" the Feds really didn't want to publicize that there was another airline, out west, flying international routes and to me that was pretty evident with no names/photos and really no indication who Fred was flying with.:P

;)Have a great weekend...

And of course there was the fact that CP was granted the route by General MacArthur, TCA didnot want the route as it was unproved and was very happy with their near monopoly to Europe.  At the same time CP was forced to give up their Ontario and Quebec routes. 

Throughout its history Canadian Pacific Airlines, battled Canada's big airline, the government favored Trans Canada Airlines (later called Air Canada). Forced to fly less lucrative and traditional routes along with its domestics, CPA led by its charismatic first president Grant McConachie, opened up the Pacific and developed routes to the Far East, Australia, South America and Europe.

The airline industry in Canada and of course the US was once a huge political game following right behind the railways. Any airline exec better connected to a politician or their gov’t was certainly given preference. Read Max Ward’s or Howard Hughes accounts of how they were treated. While a young TCA were flying Viscounts and Vanguards, the old regionals were still piston powering around their assigned little route structures.

Once upon a time the only way to fly YUL-YYG was a Viscount or Vanguard to YQM and then the transfer to Charlottetown into a DC3. Later on into a Herald. TCA had only the better selected routes to the maritimes.

However, that was then and this is now. There are definitely more of us flying today. Just not as well dressed or behaved. 

(Map below....way back when Pacific Western Airlines didn’t or more likely couldn’t fly between BC and AB)

25AE251B-AE4B-4171-BD36-90F00718999B.png

285B9F3E-8593-4016-B558-BCAA0460BC9B.png

That was a good snippet of flying in the 60's. 

I noticed that some things have not changed 50 years later: seat belt buckles and the way crews are treated on turns. ;)

Archived