First AC 777 in New Colours

blues deville

Not sure about the new paint on their 777’s. The more I see these around (on other a/c) the more I think they should have left the window and lower fuselage paint alone. The 767 and 777 are the same nose (section 41) and the windows on their own look fine. IMO the black paint really doesn’t do anything except make the planes look odd. New font letters on white plus black tail with red logo would have been enough. On a positive note the tail logo shows up very well at night.

B16F7F17-5B38-4D5C-9B4E-6CB78CB9DAB4.jpeg

D1AFCBD3-8FDC-4C82-BF44-FEADDDDFF265.png

25 minutes ago, deicer said:

I like it!

Watching them go by my house, the new scheme is distinctive and makes it more recognizable than the old lav spill blue.

And yes, the tail logo does pop!

Haha. Could be wrong but I thought “Lav spill blue” was a little darker. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see a change around the windscreen. 

From what I can see, not all frames are accepting the black well, so there is flaking.  Given that is the most visible part of the aircraft when parked at the gate and viewed by passengers in the boarding lounge,  someone in brand control might want to go another way.

Vs

The Zorro mask is peeling on several recently airframes that I have seen. If the black paint was simply added on top of white paint, then it likely will not bond. I think that a black area below the windscreen on the nose would be fine (anti-glare). This is what WJ has on the 737. The rest should go. Best bet for now would be to stop with the mask feature until design and quality control issues are resolved.

I think many aircraft paint schemes are a layered process so if the black around the nose & windows (which we know gets a direct hit with wind and weather) are already peeling it’s a sign of a substandard job.

I get the idea to blend the look of all the planes with their varied window shape. An original and not a bad idea but to me it takes away from the planes natural appearance. It worked on the first AC paint scheme but there was more focus on the radome area vs. windows on the DC8/9 etc. Maybe AC’s best version.

80C47118-19BC-4C73-81B6-3AD251E5486A.jpeg

The window frames themselves do not hold paint well which is why they are usually bare.  Extending the glareshield forward with black paint is a good call.  I would leave the actual window frames bare and paint around them to prevent this.

The aircraft paint is a layerd process so bonding layers should not be an issue.

25 minutes ago, vanishing point said:

With today's technology, there's really no excuse (other than cost) to achieve a good paint job.  Even with the harsh environment airplanes operate in, paints should stand up to conditions.

Today's environmentally friendly paints are not as durable as the paint of old used to be. Proper prep is much more critical now. Individual results may vary...

There are materials used on airplanes that paint does not readily adhere to.  window frames being one. Certain materials are not pourous enough for the paint to strongly adhere.  For those there are other possible treatments but they cannot be done "on wing".

I always thought having an anodized finish would be good idea (and unique) but, of course, there's lots of exposed structure that isn't aluminum and it might be difficult and/or impossible to get a uniform appearance.  Reading the wikipedia page on anodizing I see there are lots of considerations regarding durability in different environments so maybe it isn't a good idea at all.

On 2017-11-21 at 11:15 AM, blues deville said:

It worked on the first AC paint scheme but there was more focus on the radome area vs. windows on the DC8/9 etc. Maybe AC’s best version.

Right, I agree, and then the responsibility for "paint" was handed over to the marketing team and all considerations regarding utility and day-to-day operation were lost.  Same thing with AC's latest uniform makeover - designed for a fashion runway rather than an airport runway!  The pants are quite "fitted" and look best when you are standing and striking a pose at the gate but as soon as you sit down they are uncomfortably tight and clearly not suitable for extended periods of sitting.  I talked to one of the guys who had volunteered to be involved in testing the uniform before the rollout.  He said that, in meetings where the designer was present, that she absolutely refused to consider any changes that would improve functionality and livability.  For example; the pants have fake back pockets. She wouldn't allow real pockets because then people might actually use them and it would spoil the "lines" she had designed!  Fine for a fashion show but not so good when you're working in them.

Uniforms. Don’t even start. Haven’t had the pant problem but I have worn the traditional black or dark blue uniforms with matching tie etc. However, I’ve also been handed some hideous looking ties that were more aligned with the cabin crew’s “look”. Why we had to blend in with their flowery stuff was always a problem for me. I recall one so called uniform tie I brought home where blues deluxe actually said “.....and you have to wear that?” I remember we even got laughed at in a customs line one day.

I see the ACrouge pilots are wearing a very dark red/maroon tie. Again, who decides this and why do they think it looks good? 

1 hour ago, seeker said:

He said that, in meetings where the designer was present, that she absolutely refused to consider any changes that would improve functionality and livability.  For example; the pants have fake back pockets.  Fine for a fashion show but not so good when you're working in them.

That's crazy. Why have the employees there at all?

"Designers" ... Sheesh :rolleyes:

The uniform issues deserve their own thread.  Stay on target, people....^_^

Different materials are used in aircraft construction, that is true.  I'm no chemical engineer nor paint expert but I'm sure paints can be engineered to stick to anything....if one  pays for it.

On 11/24/2017 at 12:57 PM, vanishing point said:

The uniform issues deserve their own thread.  Stay on target, people....^_^

Different materials are used in aircraft construction, that is true.  I'm no chemical engineer nor paint expert but I'm sure paints can be engineered to stick to anything....if one  pays for it.

certain physical properties prevent paint from adhering to some surfaces.  No way around it

Who should control it? no marketing no money.

The livery on the aircraft and the logos on the signage are the corporate identity.  That identity, for better or worse, is what people recognise.  Without it people would just say they flew on a white aircraft.

31 minutes ago, boestar said:

Who should control it? no marketing no money.

The livery on the aircraft and the logos on the signage are the corporate identity.  That identity, for better or worse, is what people recognise.  Without it people would just say they flew on a white aircraft.

To a degree... I agree.....however, all airlines have a corporate LOGO and few have strayed from their original concept so if that logo was the only thing on a white aircraft the customers would remember it .Personally, I think there is too much time and $$$ wasted on finding  the "correct" tone/tint for the rest of the aircraft..

As a tangent.......when the CAF purchased the Musketeer as a basic , first aircraft trainer,  DND was given 3 choices of color straight from the factory.....RED, BLUE, WHITE....

DND, in its wisdom, decided...probably by some WW1..... BOD8D driver, that training aircraft must maintain the colors he experienced when he attempted to be a pilot...(when the earth was starting to cool)...YELLOW........ and the argument from above  was that they would be easier to see should the air machine impact the terra-firma at a considerable distance from the airfield......that rationale was justified when the population surrounding airfields was negligible but at that time  the increase of population  and given the limited distance the Musketeer could fly with a training fuel load ....well it really couldn't be justified.........but as worker bees, the QFIs had no input...........sorta like the worker bees in the airline industry.:lol:

PS..The cost to have the little Musketeers painted yellow was close to $18,000.00 a copy vs $0.00 if they had chosen a "straight from the factory" color

Things are still done that way.  If it's that way from the factory then anyone can have it.  I want it my way so I am the only one.

I seem to remember that the 767-200 came from the factory with a powered front passenger door but it was the only door of the 4 that was powered.  The airline had the powered lift removed at the factory for "commonality and to save one"  They had to PAY to have it deleted.  I would be curious to see how much they saved.

Archived