Roy Halliday (YZ BLUE JAYS) Dies in Plane Crash

Kip Powick

31 minutes ago, mo32a said:

^No, probably not, but it  does speak to his attitude toward rules and safety.

Possibly but many decades ago, as a newbie pilot, I did a few things with an aircraft that were questionable but the difference was that I had enough luck in the bank that nothing came to bite me and as time passed my luck was no longer required as I had acquired a degree of skill that prevented me from tempting fate and thinking I was bullet proof.

I'm pretty sure the comments from pilots on this topic come from guys/gals that might have strayed off the beaten path but ...they also had  some luck in the bank but as years and "hours" started to soar upward , they too figured out that it was more important to do the safe things......rather than attempt to be Roger Ramjet.:lol:

Kip: we have all seen risky behavior associated with all modes of personal transportation by those who have no concept of the risks but who have the $$$ to purchase their new toys (fast cars, boats etc).  Some survive, some donot. Sadly they leave others behind but with any luck they don't take anyone with them.

let alone Mustangs and corvettes or even many performance motorcycles.

Some people  seek risk because they love the adrenaline rush it provides.  Why else would someone jump out of a perfectly serviceable aircraft for fun?

Flying low and pushing the limits while flying solo, over water placed no one but himself at risk.  The times he was close to inhabited areas did place others at risk but they got "lucky".

I don't know many people that don't "push the envelope" when introduce to something new like a sports car, motorcycle, plane.  It is human nature to test the limits, be it the vehicles limits or your own.

Judge not lest ye be judged.

• 1 month later...

Roy Halladay had morphine, amphetamines in his system at time of plane crash: reports | Globalnews.ca

Former Toronto Blue Jays star pitcher Roy Halladay had morphine and amphetamines in his system at the time of his fatal plane crash in the Gulf of Mexico in November, according to an autopsy report obtained by TMZ and the Tampa Bay Times.

Additionally, Halladay also had the sedative zolpidem — commonly sold under the brand name Ambien — in his body at the time of the crash, TMZ reports, citing a report released by the Pinellas-Pasco Medical Examiner’s Office.

The report also reveals that Halladay suffered a subdural hemorrhage, multiple rib fractures, a leg fracture and injuries to his lungs, liver and spleen.

His blood-alcohol level at the time of the crash was 0.01, according to the Tampa Bay Times.

Halladay, 40, died after crashing his sports plane into the water in the Gulf of Mexico just 17 minutes after he had taken off from a lake near his Tampa-area home.

Federal investigators revealed that his plane made several steep turns before crashing into the water. The plane was equipped with a parachute but it wasn’t deployed, and Halladay’s body was found with the plane.

Halladay put in around 700 hours of flight time after getting his flying license in 2013.

An eight-time All-Star, Halladay pitched a perfect game and a playoff no-hitter in 2010. He played for the Blue Jays from 1998 to 2009 and for the Philadelphia Phillies from 2009-13, going 203-105 with a 3.38

— With files from the Canadian Press

On 11/21/2017 at 2:46 PM, Malcolm said:

it does show a certain lack of attention re the basic operation of the aircraft.

On 11/21/2017 at 3:12 PM, mo32a said:

it  does speak to his attitude toward rules and safety

On 11/21/2017 at 3:30 PM, J.O. said:

His behaviour shows a certain laissez-faire attitude toward safety

This crash just proves that aviation isn't as easy as the professionals and conscientious amateurs make it look on a day to day basis. Beyond the luck aspect of it, aviation will bite anybody who thinks they are so good that they don't need to show it the respect it deserves. Halliday was right in the slot... enough flying time to think that he had it taped but without the insight to know that you don't have it taped until the last time you set the brakes.

Just like a 20 year old kid who thinks that they have seen it all.

Thank goodness he didn't take anyone with him.

6 hours ago, gator said:

Halliday was right in the slot... enough flying time to think that he had it taped but without the insight to know that you don't have it taped until the last time you set the brakes.

Once a year, at the annual medical, I get asked; "any accidents or incidents?"  The answer I give out loud is; "no", the answer in my head is; "not yet."

1 hour ago, J.O. said:

Oft times those that arrive at an accident scene are reluctant to help due to "liability". We all know how 'sue happy' some folks are  whereas there are those that do risk a lawsuit , probably don't even think about it, and do render aid , perhaps even endangering their own lives.

Archived