Sign in to follow this  
st27

Road Safety

This just confirms what many of us who frequently drive the 401 have always suspected of the majority of truck drivers.......

The novice drivers are often unable to decipher Canadian road signs or handle their trucks properly before being sent out on the roads. That inexperience has led to crashes and near misses, according to documented cases, as well as interviews with two dozen sources, including truck drivers, dispatchers, tow operators and industry representatives.

The dangerous scheme has been allowed to flourish partly because there is no systemic integration between provincial regulators for the trucking industry and those overseeing the immigration system at the federal level.

The Globe investigation has revealed that immigration authorities let trucking companies hire newcomers through the Temporary Foreign Worker Program, even when the carriers have a proven history of multiple-injury accidents, serious safety violations or exploitative labour practices. (The federal authorities’ mandate is to look primarily at whether a company tried to hire local drivers before resorting to foreign wo

Nobody wants to touch this because of the political implications. In the mean time, public safety is constantly threatened. Just google the names of the drivers of the most recent fatal/non fatal accidents involving tractor-trailers.

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/canada/article-foreign-truck-drivers-canada-immigration-investigation/

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, st27 said:

Nobody wants to touch this because of the political implications.

It's alive and well and the entire process is bogus.

I've mentioned it many times on this forum, often during discussions of the pilot shortage and the employment of TFWs in the aviation industry and particularly in the helicopter world where endorsements are pricey. I'm dual qualified with ATPL(H) as well.... don't know the current situation as I'm no longer interested but, when I was looking for a job operators sucked all the oxygen out of the atmosphere with bogus adds in order to obtain LMOs that allowed them to hire TFWs.

The trucking industry is awash with it and no one will listen.... all I can say (as I have so many times before) is enjoy the show. 

It's only through experience that you realize how foolish some of this stuff is. Paint bros will call you a racist if you mention this.....shhhhh

The article above is a worthy contender for the "what did you think was going to happen?" file. Some (like Paint Bros) won't even believe it's true.

Edited by Wolfhunter

And it’s not just reckless truck drivers:.    https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/tow-truck-driver-sentenced-to-2-5-years-in-deadly-2015-crash-1.4644513

On Sunday, November 8, 2015, Ly was behind the wheel of an Acura with his 13-year-old daughter, just a couple blocks from home.  The road was dry and visibility was good, according to evidence heard in court.  22-year-old Mohamed Haj-Saleh ran a red light at Meadowlands and Viewmount, travelling, court heard,  at between 95 and 110 kilometres an hour.  The speed limit is 40.  Ly was killed, his daughter spent months in hospital.

In handing down his sentence, Justice Robert Maranger considered several factors, including Haj-Saleh's previous driving record.  At just 22, he had already racked up 26 highway traffic act violations, including 5 speeding tickets, a couple of them just days before the crash.

And if this drivers recklessness causing death wasn’t enough:.   https://ottawa.ctvnews.ca/ctv-news-photographer-punched-multiple-times-outside-ottawa-court-1.4644801

Supporters of an Ottawa tow truck driver who was being sentenced at court this morning, attacked a CTV Ottawa news photographer and threatened several others outside of court Friday morning.

Mohamed Haj-Saleh was convicted in September of dangerous driving causing death and dangerous driving causing bodily harm in the death of 55-year-old Giai Ly. On Friday he was sentenced to two and a half years in prison.

Both before and after the sentencing hearing, Haj-Saleh’s supporters swore at and punched photographers who were covering the case. 

This is Canada?? Or the New Canada

• Sad 1

More interesting reading from the Ontario Auditor General.....doesn’t give you any sense of security when driving the 401:

Commercial truck traffic has increased by 10% over the past decade in Ontario and large buses and trucks were involved in 182,000 collisions, the report says.

“Ontario maintained higher fatality and injury rates than Canada as a whole and the United States in the majority of years between 2008 and 2017 when evaluating only commercial vehicles,” the report says.

The use of an important road safety tool — commercial vehicle inspections — fell by 22% between 2014-18 in part because they could not fill enforcement officer vacancies, the report says.

And in one of the more scarier findings, given recent high-profile accidents involving large vehicles, auditors noted flaws in commercial driver licensing and training.

Ontario is the only province that allows private carriers to test their own drivers for commercial licences, and they have a pass rate of 95% compared to 69% at DriveTest centres, the report says.

Companies that passed drivers that later went on to have higher-than-normal rates of accidents were allowed to keep testing.

Some private Motor Vehicle Inspection Stations that issue certificates that commercial vehicles are road worthy have been found involved in fraudulent activity like issuing certificates without actually inspecting the vehicle, the report says.

“An MVIS garage employed only one mechanic and was sent 4,000 inspection certificates in 2018 alone which is 76 times the average per mechanic,” the report found.

When brought to the Ministry of Transportation’s attention, it turned out that the mechanic had ordered 2,000 certificates — still well above the per-mechanic average — and was sent an extra 2,000 for free without ministry staff noticing, the report says.

Lysyk said that had the ministry maintained its previous level of inspections, auditors calculate that as many as 10,000 unsafe commercial vehicles and drivers would have been removed from Ontario roads.

https://torontosun.com/news/provincial/ag-exposes-holes-in-ontarios-commercial-trucking-safety-rules

Before they got caught you could buy a commercial license in Brampton for $1500.  Not truck required.

• Sad 1

When is the province or the federal government, for that matter, going to get serious about road safety??? This one is unbelievable!!

Leeds County Ontario Provincial Police officers from the Lansdowne office observed a very slow transport truck, on the westbound 401 in Elizabethtown-Kitley Township, just before 11 on Thursday morning. The rig was travelling at between five and 10 kilometres per hour in heavy traffic and its four-way lights were activated, according to a police news release.

The driver reportedly stopped in the live lane when a traffic stop was conducted. A 26-year-old from Brampton was charged with careless driving. That person and a 21-year-old passenger from Brampton who was sharing the driving responsibilities were both charged with failing to carry daily logs or operator’s records for the previous 14 days. The accused were not named.

The truck was towed off the highway, and the two who were charged “were placed out of service for 72 hours,” according to police.

With fatigue comes a lack of concentration, which can have devastating consequences on our highways,” stated OPP Sgt. Brian Jones, who added that “commercial motor vehicle drivers are obligated to comply with hours of service regulations.”

With fatigue comes a lack of concentration, which can have devastating consequences on our highways,” stated OPP Sgt. Brian Jones, who added that “commercial motor vehicle drivers are obligated to comply with hours of service regulations.”

https://www.recorder.ca/news/local-news/police-disqualified-driver-arrested
I get the fact that there is a huge demand for truck drivers...everything now is just in time delivery, the amazons and wayfairers will only make the situation worse, but when will the governments tackle the elephant in the room and start implementing stricter licensing standards. The Humboldt crash should have been the wake up call. It’s a common joke at Timmies or anywhere else about foreign truck drivers and their lack of skills.

And while I’m at it...why don’t we name the drivers in these incidents? Is political correctness at play?? Come on! They did mention Brampton, so read between the lines! Every other minor offender gets named. How about the guy that stole the tractor trailer loaded with meat and crashed into the gas station in Toronto?

Still waiting....

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, st27 said:

And while I’m at it...why don’t we name the drivers in these incidents? Is political correctness at play??

It is.... they are very likely poorly trained minimally experienced TFW's. 

The trucking industry has their equivalent of the MBA crew.... the shortage of professional drivers exists for the same reason that there is a shortage of experienced pilots. As in the aviation world, operators are recruiting and training people in house because they have wrecked the normal supply and need alternatives.

The government played right along with this. Some of you may recall the bogus job adds from the likes of Sunwing used simply to obtain a LMO. The media will report what they are told to.... and paid to.

All of this is contained in a file marked "what did you think was going to happen?"

Edited by Wolfhunter

Literally 3 days after a truck driver slams into parked trucks and killing a driver on the side of the road,

He says a transport was disabled on the right shoulder when a stray truck struck the rear of the tractor trailer and became wedged at the back.

The two drivers exited their vehicles and were speaking when a transport truck containing plastic pellets collided with the stray truck and fatally pinned a 40-year-old man from Ingersoll.

https://torontosun.com/news/local-news/one-killed-in-three-truck-collision-on-hwy-401#comments

It has happened again!!!

A 63-year-old man from Toronto has been charged with careless driving causing death in connection with a fatal collision that occurred on Highway 401 west of Brockville on Thursday evening.

Leeds County Ontario Provincial Police were dispatched just before 6:30 to a disabled transport that was partially blocking an eastbound lane in Elizabethtown-Kitley.

An officer who approached the stationary truck reportedly observed a second transport hit the first truck, said police. The first truck’s driver had exited the vehicle and was also struck, according to a police news release.

Officers treated the man until paramedics arrived; Bernard Perreault, 55, of Frampton, Quebec was pronounced dead at the scene.

Miladinko Majstorovic, 63, of Toronto, was charged and is to appear in Brockville court at a later date.

“It is the responsibility of every driver to direct their attention to the road and surrounding areas,” stated Acting Staff Sgt. Brian Jones. “One moment of being inattentive can put you at risk of becoming involved in a collision.”

Wtf are these drivers doing and when are the cops and the province going get tougher on licensing. Everytime I see a truck weaving, the driver looks like he is texting or watching a movie.

I guess because the driver wasn’t from Brampton, it was ok to release his name..😉

16 hours ago, st27 said:

Wtf are these drivers doing and when are the cops and the province going get tougher on licensing.

As easily predictable as the pilot shortage.

This transcends "what did you think was going to happen" and falls squarely into the realm of "no other outcome possible." Those who warned against this were branded racist and xenophobic..... remember?

The police are overwhelmed and already on record as having reduced traffic enforcement.... as if it wasn't already virtually non-existent. In my last 4 full (east/west) transits of Ontario, I didn't see a single traffic stop.... only highway madness.

Other than resolving to sin no more (and that won't happen), there is no easy way to fix this now.... it will have to run its course, enjoy the show.

Edited by Wolfhunter

14 minutes ago, Wolfhunter said:

Multilayered automation, no training, and less common sense than a turnip.

These critters are hurtling toward you with a closing speed of 200 KPH.... I'd rather dodge people who are texting.

https://www.foxnews.com/auto/tesla-owner-complained-autopilot-fatal-crash

What puzzles me, evidently (from the story) he knew it was not working correctly and even knew it veered in the area where he was killed.  Why would he not turn it off? or could he?

absolutely he could have but stupid is stupid.

It's a terrible thing when innocent, unwilling bystanders are killed but, as far as stupid people dying doing stupid things - not much sympathy.

Humanity has stifled evolution.

In the animal kingdom the stupid, sick adn slow are killed off and as a result the herd becomes stronger.   Humanities attempt to better mother nature makes us weaker because we keep the stupid, sick and slow safe.  While that may sound heartless humanity goes against the laws of nature where only the strong survive.  Humanity gives us the EVERYONE survives scenario.

You want to know what wrong with the earth?  People.  We found ways to increase life expectancy to the detriment of the planet we live on.  Do away with vaccines, medicine and other technologies that help us live longer and in a couple of generations we will not have a population problem anymore.

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, boestar said:

You want to know what wrong with the earth?  People.  We found ways to increase life expectancy to the detriment of the planet we live on.  Do away with vaccines, medicine and other technologies that help us live longer and in a couple of generations we will not have a population problem anymore.

I've posted this link before so if you've already seen it please excuse me.  Worth watching in it's entirety but I've set the link to begin at a part of the presentation that addresses the issue you have mentioned (the pertinent part is about 5 minutes long, 12:53 - 17:55): 

Edited by seeker

As I have stated before.  The Economy is based on GROWTH.  No Growth = recession and negative growth = depression.

Problem is, as is stated in the video, Growth is unsustainable.  We will grow into extinction.

Mother nature will will, of that I have no doubt.

I'm clearly not an economist but I've always puzzled about this idea of "growth" as the ultimate goal.  Many years ago Westjet was in this position where they were massively profitable (in their niche) - consistantly throwing off huge profits.  Then they embarqued on a growth strategy that involved Scoop, Encore, 787s, etc.  Why?  If you have a profitable business why do you need to expand?  I understand that there's economies of scale and you might want to expand to prevent your competitors from growing but every business seems to fall into this trap of "growth" for growth's sake.  I'm not picking on Westjet, that's just an example - same thing can be seen in retail and service industries - why not just have a dozen stores that are consistently profitable instead of trying to expand to a hundred stores?

Well, as I said I no economist.  But doesn't seem rational to me.

34 minutes ago, seeker said:

I'm clearly not an economist but I've always puzzled about this idea of "growth" as the ultimate goal.  Many years ago Westjet was in this position where they were massively profitable (in their niche) - consistantly throwing off huge profits.  Then they embarqued on a growth strategy that involved Scoop, Encore, 787s, etc.  Why?  If you have a profitable business why do you need to expand?  I understand that there's economies of scale and you might want to expand to prevent your competitors from growing but every business seems to fall into this trap of "growth" for growth's sake.  I'm not picking on Westjet, that's just an example - same thing can be seen in retail and service industries - why not just have a dozen stores that are consistently profitable instead of trying to expand to a hundred stores?

Well, as I said I no economist.  But doesn't seem rational to me.

I've always thought the same thing about WJ. I was delighted to see them doing well in their chosen niche and often thought it was the very strategy I would favour were I to embark on running an airline.

I see the danger (the one to be avoided) as expanding to become the new Canadian and entering into head to head competition with AC in all markets. I would be afraid of cut throat competition (in all markets) ruining the overall market for everyone in the process and returning to the days of yore. For farm boys, the demise of the pork and mink industries in the Maritimes (government subsidies accelerated the process BTW) stands as an example of what I would seek to avoid.... and the very reason I would seek to avoid it.

Regardless, as a simple principal and one of the undisputed laws of the universe, in a finite environment, sustained growth is manifestly unsustainable. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

it really is one of the main laws of physics.  Matter cannot be created or destroyed, only change its state.  By that reasoning a growth in population my result is something else shrinking.  Mainly that would be the building blocks of life itself.  in the forefront would be water.  the human race, and all life actually, relies on water.  too many people and too little water will wipe us from the earth.  Of course there are other things but no matter what it is we are doomed because we are stupid.

8 hours ago, Wolfhunter said:

I've always thought the same thing about WJ. I was delighted to see them doing well in their chosen niche and often thought it was the very strategy I would favour were I to embark on running an airline.

I see the danger (the one to be avoided) as expanding to become the new Canadian and entering into head to head competition with AC in all markets. I would be afraid of cut throat competition (in all markets) ruining the overall market for everyone in the process and returning to the days of yore. For farm boys, the demise of the pork and mink industries in the Maritimes (government subsidies accelerated the process BTW) stands as an example of what I would seek to avoid.... and the very reason I would seek to avoid it.

Regardless, as a simple principal and one of the undisputed laws of the universe, in a finite environment, sustained growth is manifestly unsustainable. 

As I have said in the past, there was another very successful niche airline in Canada and that was PWA, they started to believe in expansion,  they got into expansion and buying up other airlines.  They did not survive.  My PWA stock became expensive wall paper. I sure hope WestJet does not suffer the same fate.

I have a small hope that airline people will learn just one thing from the 737-MAX fiasco.

The worlds airlines have been forced to restrict capacity because they have hundreds of aircraft that they are not allowed to put into service.  For most airlines this means that they have restricted themselves from selling deep discount fares.  

The result is that they are making buckets full of profits.

3 hours ago, Fido said:

I have a small hope that airline people will learn just one thing from the 737-MAX fiasco.

The worlds airlines have been forced to restrict capacity because they have hundreds of aircraft that they are not allowed to put into service.  For most airlines this means that they have restricted themselves from selling deep discount fares.  

The result is that they are making buckets full of profits.

Seats full of the unwashed who get annoyed if one reclines the seat that they paid extra to occupy.  ...... hmmmmmmm

Probably a record for Leeds and the Thousand Islands OPP detachment:

A Quebec driver has been charged with stunt driving after provincial police clocked a vehicle at nearly twice the speed limit on Highway 401 Saturday.

Just after 10:15 p.m., an officer was conducting general patrol on the 401 in Front of Yonge Township. A vehicle was observed eastbound at 193 km/h in a posted 100 km/h area, said police.

A 32-year-old accused from Quebec was charged with racing a motor vehicle and driving without a licence.

The vehicle was towed and impounded for seven days.

It is one thing to drive that fast when you can see the road around you....another thing in the middle of the night.

2 hours ago, st27 said:

The vehicle was towed and impounded for seven days

Too bad they have to give it back to him.

if he can pay the fees...