Sign in to follow this  
st27

Road Safety

How long will it be before the Ontario gov't admits there is a problem with the trucking industry?

https://www.mississauga.com/news-story/7474498-many-trucks-fail-to-meet-safety-standards-say-peel-police/

http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/opp-charge-transport-truck-drivers-in-collisions-that-killed-6   

And not one day later, another fatal accident due to truck driver inattention, and chaos for 1000s driving  on the same highway.

http://torontosun.com/news/provincial/highway-401-triple-commercial-truck-collision-kills-one

And now this:

http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/multiple-fatalities-in-14-vehicle-hwy-400-crash

At one time truckers were professional drivers that could be relied upon. Then came deregulation , which eliminated the professional and led to the creation of thousands of new 'owner / operator brokers'. Now 30ish years on the job has become entry level work. Automation replaced union rules and safety was quickly flushed out the system in favour of corporate profitability. The public has been left to suffer the consequences of new ways.

Does the theme sound at all familiar?  

52 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

At one time truckers were professional drivers that could be relied upon. Then came deregulation , which eliminated the professional and led to the creation of thousands of new 'owner / operator brokers'. Now 30ish years on the job has become entry level work. Automation replaced union rules and safety was quickly flushed out the system in favour of corporate profitability. The public has been left to suffer the consequences of new ways.

Does the theme sound at all familiar?  

You might find the following site of interest:

http://wwwapps2.tc.gc.ca/Saf-Sec-Sur/7/NCDB-BNDC/p.aspx?l=en&c=100-1-0

Just now, DEFCON said:

Thanks for the link to the table Malcolm, but I'm not sure what information you want me to glean through it? 

I thought you might like to review the actual stats by vehicle type from dereg to present.

Here is a clip from a news story this year re Ontario.

Deadly and dangerous

Here's how the numbers from the OPP's Operation Corridor between 2012 and 2016 break down:

• 1,342 fatal motor vehicle collisions
  • 266 involved transport trucks
  • 330 people killed
  • 44 people killed were drivers of transport trucks
  • 286 people killed were in passenger vehicles

Another reason police are targeting transport trucks is because of the materials they're transporting, according to Rektor, who said there are a lot of dangerous chemicals traveling within a metre of other vehicles.  http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/london/opp-targeting-truckers-crash-stats-1.4162211

https://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2009/01/03/a_silent_minority_takes_the_wheel.html

Although this article is from 2009, it illustrates what is going on in the industry....lack of experience....possibly an exception, but had not even driven a vehicle ...three or so years later, obtains a license for large trucks, gets hired , (doesn't even start out on smaller straight tucks) and heads right out on the 401 with a tractor trailer,  Yz-ul return, let alone no experience driving in winter conditions.

The other issue is mechanical fitness...every once and a while OPP/MTO do a safety blitz....finding trucks in barely roadworthy conditions. 

As I mentioned in the first post, it's time the government cracked down on driver schools and the testing process. 

A year or 2 ago there was a bust that arrested and led to the dismissal of several Drive Test employees that were selling licenses.  $1500 would get you a shiny new Class D or A licence.  No experience necessary.  There were THOUSANDS issued..

THAT is what we are dealing with on the roads today.  Let alone little johnny that was taught to drive by his untrained mother and didn't attend any driving school at all. Again THOUSANDS of them out there too.

Our licensing system requires an overhaul.

Which is worse???

https://globalnews.ca/news/3902378/driver-transport-truck-impaired-driving/

OR

http://nationalpost.com/news/canada/woman-charged-after-allegedly-driving-60-km-h-under-limit-on-highway-401

more to the slowdriving story.....who in their right mind thinks the limit is 50k/hr on the 401 and can’t she read the posted limit signs???

i really worry now about who the f”&k I am sharing the road with!!!

• Like 1

There are a lot of temporary foreign workers (TFWs) in the trucking industry. You can google it and find interesting individual stories, but, I just call it scandalous… I know, I said that about aviation too. Anyway, this is (in my view) the cost of it. 

BTW, the helicopter world is (was) particularly rife with TFWs due to the high cost of type ratings. Lots of Canadian helicopter pilots working construction as a result. I stopped looking about a year ago... almost over it now. Pretty soon I won't care. Shortly after that happens, employers will begin to care about the fact I don't care but by then I won't care that they care. HR managers and the MBA crew created this mess. There is no shortage of drivers or helicopter pilots but they have created a shortage of experience. Ya don't need an MBA to read sign... turkey tracks always lead to turkeys

Edited by Wolfhunter

Yup..just heard one trucking co. Is expanding with drivers from ...Romania. ......driving down wages, no pun intended.

And, know we know the truth. It's not aggressive drivers, speeding, the lack of enforcement  etc... it's the moon.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/health/motorcycle-deaths-full-moon-us-study-1.4437736

Take any subject or event you have significant experience with (say aviation) and "stupid test" the news reporting. The vortex is pervasive... 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, st27 said:

Probably safe to say that, statistically, there are less motorcycle deaths in winter in northern Ontario.

now there is a study you could get a huge grant for.

They drive with us on the 401:

Christmas speeder nabbed

A 22-year-old Ajax man, who was allegedly driving 104 km/hr over the speed limit with open liquor in the car, was nabbed by Ontario Provincial Police on Christmas Day.

Leeds County OPP stopped the Yuletide speeder on the eastbound Highway 401 in Elizabethtown-Kitley Township at 8:30 p.m.

The Ajax man found his vehicle towed and impounded for seven days and his drivers’ licence was suspended after he registered an alert on a roadside test, said police.

He is scheduled to appear at Brockville provincial offences court to answer to a dangerous driving charge.

The driver was also charged with the provincial offences of stunt driving and having an open container of liquor, said police.

Now, just imagine what they could do if they spent a reasonable amount of time actually patrolling the roads. This sort of thing would become so common it wouldn’t even be reported. The lack of enforcement in Ontario borders on abysmal and stands (in my experience), as the worst in the country... and that's the worst by a long shot.  Way past time for photo radar and Special Constables dedicated to highway patrol. 

Ontario does have special constables dedicated to highway patrol.  The "Radar Rangers" of the OPP.  However they are patrolling the busiest highway in North America with too few people.  Any meaningful enforcement on the 401 (within the city of Toronto) is nearly impossible due to traffic volume and enforcement causes more risk than the infraction itself due to traffic.

No....there are too many idiots...enforcement and penalties must be severe...jail time (but where does it end as jails are already overcrowded) license suspension (they’ll just drive without a license and insurance) or financial penalties. Kind of cold but I don’t care if these idiots kill themselves, just don’t harm myself, my family or property. 

Btw...this one is classic..literally folded itself in half around a traffic sign on the concrete divider....check out the pics.

http://torontosun.com/news/local-news/horrific-hwy-401-high-speed-crash-kills-2

Two problems.... the idiots don't read the paper or watch the news, so they do not see, in advance, the potential result, as above, of their insane road habits. Then there's the invincibility factor of young people, whether on the road or the ski hill.

On 12/23/2017 at 10:58 AM, st27 said:

“Oh, another tip: Don’t tailgate and pass OPP cruisers while texting on your cellphone.”

This is another problem. There seems to be a sense that it's ok to tailgate and text (and drink, smoke and speed) as long as there isn't a cop around. The real consequence of texting and driving that people should be concerned with is not the fact that they might get a ticket. And then, the fact that they have "campaigns" (in Ontario, at least), gives the impression that police will ignore the activity outside the campaign. Police should be policing ALL illegal and dangerous activity ALL THE TIME, not just during campaigns.

And, although I hate it when someone ahead of me is distracted at a stop light and is heads down when the light goes green, I much prefer this than if they were to do it while moving.

Problem is they DO do it while moving ALL THE BLOODY TIME.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, boestar said:

... nearly impossible due to traffic volume and enforcement causes more risk than the infraction itself due to traffic.

This is where you double/triple team them… those who don’t “slow down and move over” are waved to the side. 3 cruisers in an assembly line until people get the message, different locations all day, every day. Max thrust on Photo Radar. 

The 90 KPH thing was invoked to save gas and save the planet back during the “big shortage” which was what the liberal huggers said they wanted. Well, ya got it…I want all revenues from the vortex put back into roads. Go get em! There seems to be some reluctance to lay stunting and dangerous driving charges. Stupid is far more dangerous than enforcement.