Fired While on LTD

E-HANDLE

Well as usual there are other sides to a story. Unfortunately the company cannot tell their side unless they are sued. I'm sure the company  has solid grounds for dismissal. It seems that reporters really like to give one side of the story particularly if it's negative. Time down the road the truth or the other story is seldom heard. Yes they worked for a company who cares but this company probably doesn't like being abused. 

thor. The issue does however puzzle me in that most, if not all, contracts that talk about LTD have very rigid provisions for being able to go on LTD, along with language dealing with "What If" I can never rejoin the labour force.  You seem to be suggesting that there is abuse of the program at WestJet. : it appears you have some "insider" information, so how about some facts / examples (generic of course). 

1 hour ago, thor said:

I'm sure the company  has solid grounds for dismissal. 

Hah!  'Cause no company has ever made a mistake or acted improperly.  To be clear, even though this story is about Westjet, my distrust and suspicion is for all companies.

3 hours ago, boestar said:

This will be the glue that seals the deal for having union representation

Speaking from experience (with no knowledge of this specific situation), terminations like this have, in the past increased confidence in WestJet leadership.

I know that sounds odd, but that’s how I’ve seen it play out many times.

The overwhelming majority of WestJet employees are die hard passionate employees who want the best for themselves and even more so the company.  When they see other employees not pulling their weight or taking advantage of a certain situation, they get frustrated and want to see leadership from management to address these situations.  If that was the case here, I would bet there is front line support for this.

If that isn’t the case, then certainly it could help support the idea of unionization.

Normally, there are rigid qualifications for LTD. The article  says there over 2 dozen employees terminated, so you have to question either the decision to terminate or the process that allowed them to get onto LTD if indeed their claims were not legit, in either case WestJet has a need to explain their actions. 

Thats how I see it as well.  If it is a legit claim then that would anger me.  if it was a bogus claim and someone was milking it then Kudos to the company.

Most companies have return to work plans to get an employee back to work in "some" capacity.  If the person will never be able to return to work then they are let go.  I thought there was legislation on this but it may just be company policies.

59 minutes ago, Newman said:

Speaking from experience (with no knowledge of this specific situation), terminations like this have, in the past increased confidence in WestJet leadership.

I know that sounds odd, but that’s how I’ve seen it play out many times.

The overwhelming majority of WestJet employees are die hard passionate employees who want the best for themselves and even more so the company.  When they see other employees not pulling their weight or taking advantage of a certain situation, they get frustrated and want to see leadership from management to address these situations.  If that was the case here, I would bet there is front line support for this.

If that isn’t the case, then certainly it could help support the idea of unionization.

Maybe, maybe not.

Where I work the management seems to have abruptly turned on an employee with a long-term health issue (that they have mostly continued to work through) with one woman just adamant that accommodations made to this individual be withdrawn. I don't think one could reasonably claim that this situation is increasing confidence in the management or this woman specifically. It's just making people uncomfortable and angry.

I personally suspect it will end with the employee quitting and suing for constructive dismissal when the accommodations are withdrawn.

Archived