Over 129,000 hours....

conehead

I once stopped in at MZJ to take some pictures.  Saw a bunch of tails on the horizon.  Anyway, the reception at the gate was...unfriendly.  I was unaware of the variety of tenants and their sensitivity to photography.

The US hosts training for counter-terrorism forces from around the world out there where they get trained on retaking different types of aircraft. They don't like an audience, there is also helicopter training for pilots heading to Afghanistan.

21 hours ago, ILB said:

I once stopped in at MZJ to take some pictures.  Saw a bunch of tails on the horizon.  Anyway, the reception at the gate was...unfriendly.  I was unaware of the variety of tenants and their sensitivity to photography.

Visited the place with and without an invitation. Much easier when your company has a plane they are working on under “God’s Hangar” as they call it. The owner gave us a tour of the field and offered me a parked Beech Starship to take home. Would have been a good addition to an aircraft maintenance school but it wouldn’t fit in the cargo hold of our freshly ‘D’ checked 757. 

Did some math;

Inservice for 29.5 years X 365 days X 24 hours = 258,420 hours.

129,900 hours = 14.8 years

That aircraft has spent almost exactly half of it's entire service life in the air - not bad when you factor in down time for maintenance, paint jobs, engine changes etc.

Is there an absolute limit to the airframe or is it on condition where overhaul costs out weigh the market value??? I remember ND had a 737-200 that Boeing was interested in and it "only" had +\ 72000 hours.

The Jazz Dash 8-300's are currently undergoing a Service Life Extension program that will extend from 80,000 cycles to 120,000 cycles  Adding several years of life to the airframe

5 hours ago, boestar said:

The Jazz Dash 8-300's are currently undergoing a Service Life Extension program that will extend from 80,000 cycles to 120,000 cycles  Adding several years of life to the airframe

What is the average hours and cycles on the Dash8 -300. I remember when they were new!

5 hours ago, boestar said:

Archived