Air freight business rebounding, Air Canada business soaring

dagger

3 hours ago, boestar said:

Well Cargo jet would be 100% so Air canada would be less than that.:cool:

Very clever. :) 

AC is not the only Cargojet customer. So just to be clear, what percentage of AC’s annual cargo is flown on their own aircraft. My airline has its own dedicated cargo fleet but every day most passenger flights carry approved cargo as well.

I don't know the percentage but I would assume it is fairly high with the reduction of domestic widebody service we have seen over the years. AC Still carries a lot of cargo in the bellies but nothing close to what they used to carry on the 747 Combi and the freighters.

Combis were a dog, because you could never match good passenger fares and loads and good freight rates and loads on the same flight. Part of the aircraft was always under performing, and that applies to almost any airline that has ever owned long-haul combis. KLM, if I recall, was the last holdout, but it's indeed done with combis.

I never claimed it was cost effective just that the loads and capacity were there and greater.

AC once had a great freighter network, one that is mirrored now by the likes of Cargojet.  Cargojet seems to be making it work pretty well.

10 minutes ago, boestar said:

I never claimed it was cost effective just that the loads and capacity were there and greater.

AC once had a great freighter network, one that is mirrored now by the likes of Cargojet.  Cargojet seems to be making it work pretty well.

Yes, but CargoJet is using smaller planes. As for the combis, they also were an operational challenge because you're loading large amounts of large-sized freight as well as passengers, and sometimes there were delays getting the freight in place because of physical handling issues. So flights left late not because of passenger boarding issues, but because something weirdly odd sized like a huge industrial pump couldn't just slide aboard, but was awkward to manoeuvre. 

2 minutes ago, dagger said:

Yes, but CargoJet is using smaller planes. As for the combis, they also were an operational challenge because you're loading large amounts of large-sized freight as well as passengers, and sometimes there were delays getting the freight in place because of physical handling issues. So flights left late not because of passenger boarding issues, but because something weirdly odd sized like a huge industrial pump couldn't just slide aboard, but was awkward to manoeuvre. 

I am aware of that.  I used to load that awkward large cargo in a previous life.

Cargojet is using more efficient aircraft.  the DC-8 was only marginally larger than a 757.  definitely bigger than the 727 though.

Archived