uber air

blues deville

3 hours ago, J.O. said:

Hmm, this seems like a commercial enterprise to me. Funny, I see no references to an AOC. So, no thanks.

PA-28 ride with a fuel stop in Kingston. Sign me up. 

So many questions. Not enough time. I suggest they go with another clever phone app. 

This is Uber Air.  Ride sharing.

"technically" within the rules but a very fine line.  A Private pilot can share teh cost of a flight for non commercial puproses and be legal.  so if you have a plane and I want to go to Montreal an you say "hey, I wouldnt mind getting the cross country time.  Wnat to pay half the gas?"  Legal or not?  interesting.

sorta.  Ride sharing was allowed more easily under the old Air Regs and ANOs. 

The Aeronautics Act and CARs were amended to preclude a lot of 'chisel charter' stuff.

From the Act:

hire or reward means any payment, consideration, gratuity or benefit, directly or indirectly charged, demanded, received or collected by any person for the use of an aircraft; (rémunération)

commercial air service means any use of aircraft for hire or reward; (service aérien commercial)

So Jettly is taking remuneration connected to the ride sharing program.  That is benefit indirectly charged.  It's a commercial air service.  That application is not selective, so the booking agent cannot be found to be running a commercial service and the pilot involved not.  Everyone gets caught in the net.

I see a lot of US seats available.  In the States, the notion of fractional ownership blurs the lines in ways the Canadian regs do not. 

If Transport Canada misses this, it is time to hang up their skates.

Vs

And with the highest accident/fatality rate for that sector of aviation, an accident is likely. The potential regulation violations will be a minor nuisance compared to the litigation that would ensue. 

Archived