Sign in to follow this  
Malcolm

NDP...Breath of Fresh Air

I am looking forward to see how this evolves, I guess first comes a by-election that will allow him to win a seat and then onwards and upwards.  I will never vote NDP but I am feeling positive about their choice of a new leader.  

Meet Jagmeet Singh: Sikh lawyer, martial artist and new NDP leader

Singh says his fashion sense helps disarm stereotypes about Sikhs with turbans and long beards

By Peter Zimonjic, CBC News Posted: Oct 01, 2017 3:34 PM ET Last Updated: Oct 02, 2017 10:45 AM ET

New NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is fluent in English, French and Punjabi. The Ontario MPP is also a trained martial artist and is a criminal defence lawyer who grew up in Newfoundland and Labrador and Ontario.

New NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh is fluent in English, French and Punjabi. The Ontario MPP is also a trained martial artist and is a criminal defence lawyer who grew up in Newfoundland and Labrador and Ontario. (Chris Young/Canadian Press)

Jagmeet Singh, the first turban-wearing Sikh to sit in Ontario's legislature, will now lead a federal political party with his victory in the NDP leadership race on Sunday.

Singh, 38, won on the first ballot Sunday, taking 53 per cent of the vote to top MPs Charlie Angus, Niki Ashton and Guy Caron.

Singh has represented the riding of Bramalea-Gore-Malton at Queen's Park since 2011. The unmarried MPP served as the Ontario NDP party's critic for justice and consumer services before party leader Andrea Horwath named him her deputy in 2015.

A criminal defence lawyer who speaks fluent French and Punjabi, Singh was born in Scarborough, Ont., in 1979.

Singh was raised in Newfoundland and Labrador while his father, who trained as a psychiatrist in India, attended medical school there and worked as a security guard before he could practise in Canada.  

His family moved to Windsor, Ont., when he was seven years old.

Learning to fight 

Singh says he was bullied as a youngster and took up martial arts to defend himself, going on to captain his high school wrestling team and winning the Toronto championships in Brazilian jiu-jitsu.

He got a law degree from Osgoode Hall in Toronto and practised as a criminal defence lawyer. His brother, Gurratan Singh, now runs their firm.  

Singh's passion for fashion caught the attention of GQ magazine earlier this year, which described him as "the incredibly well-dressed rising star in Canadian politics." In the magazine's profile of him, Singh said his personal style is an extension of his political platform.

Jagmeet Singh calls for unity after winning NDP leadership on 1st ballot21:02

Singh explained at the time that his style shows his confidence which can help disarm stereotypes about people wearing turbans and long beards.

Among the issues Singh has worked on at Queen's Park is the controversial police practice of carding — stopping people on the street and demanding identification. Singh, who said he's been carded 10 times, pushed for a ban. The Ontario government outlawed arbitrary street checks last year.

He also advocated for limits on fees to transfer money overseas and for a religious exemption for Sikhs from motorcycle helmet laws.  

Entering the federal fray

When he launched his campaign for the federal leadership at the same banquet hall in Brampton, west of Toronto, where he celebrated his first election victory in 2011, Singh told the crowd that his party and the country are hungry for new leadership.

"Leadership that will bring people together, to build a Canada that is truly inclusive and where everyone can realize their dreams," Singh said at the time.

Singh has said that he would not immediately seek a seat in the House of Commons until he had time to help increase his profile outside of the House. 

During his acceptance speech Singh also tapped into his family's past financial struggles drawing attention to a pledge he made while campaigning — to end job insecurity and precarious work. 

"While I was in university, my father became very ill and my father was unable to work. We needed to pay the bills, so in my 20s I became the sole income earner in my family," he said. 

Singh explained that he was forced to take care of his younger brother — making his meals, buying his clothes, sending him to school and even showing up for parent-teacher interviews — until his father was well enough to return to work. 

"We were lucky to find a way out of this precarious situation, but many people don't. Many people face far more difficult struggles," he said. 

"I caught just a little glimpse of the pressure they feel, the weight of living paycheque to paycheque knowing the consequences of falling short, letting your family down and losing the basics

25 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

I will never vote NDP but I am feeling positive about their choice of a new leader. 

X2, good for him. Hope he does well

Great...we get it ....he's this, he's that, but what are his policies???? Anecdotally, have heard he wants to take the party to a hard left, like decriminalizing all drugs...more facts please before we have another love affair with a politician and live to regret it!!

1 hour ago, st27 said:

Great...we get it ....he's this, he's that, but what are his policies???? Anecdotally, have heard he wants to take the party to a hard left, like decriminalizing all drugs...more facts please before we have another love affair with a politician and live to regret it!!

We???? Never did or will have that with "SilverSpoon" Justin. :cool:

Oohh ..little sensitive..Not that I voted for any of the new age politicians.

48 minutes ago, st27 said:

Oohh ..little sensitive..Not that I voted for any of the new age politicians.

Did you at least vote?   

Yup he's a breath of fresh air alright...if anybody has doubts about the tax grab by Trudeau, Singh is really going to dig deep into other people's pockets. This will be the nail in the coffin for keeping or attracting  industry in Canada.

http://www.jagmeetsingh.ca/policy

Singh will ensure low and middle income seniors see an increase to their benefits - leaving no senior behind.

Working Canadian Guarantee:

0u9bKwyyKiR5EjfnNeQp-cSodo2ssZsWiy3u95MU

Canadians work hard and together we’ve built a beautiful country. Yet, millions of working Canadians continue to live in poverty. This is an injustice. A Jagmeet Singh-led government will fight for workers.

As Prime Minister, Jagmeet will introduce the Working Canadian Guarantee:

• The Working Canadian Guarantee will triple the support under the current system for low income workers.  It will build off of the legacy of the Working Income Tax Benefit (WITB) by incorporating funding from the WITB and the Canada Employment Credit.

• Similar to the WITB, the Working Canadian Guarantee is an income-tested wage subsidy for workers.

• Those working full-time on minimum wage will qualify for the Working Canadian Guarantee. Jagmeet’s plan will both expand the generosity of the WITB and slow its phase-out such that those working full-time for the minimum wage will be eligible for the Working Canadian Guarantee.

• While the WITB is an annual refund, Jagmeet’s Working Canadian Guarantee will be provided in either monthly or quarterly payments.

Together, with Jagmeet Singh’s Better Work Agenda, the Working Canadian Guarantee will help ensure that hundreds of thousands of Canadians have access to decent work, fair wages and benefits, and are not forced to live in poverty. 

TAXES:

Canadians know that when we look out for one another, we all do better. A Jagmeet Singh-led government will build an inclusive and more progressive tax system that will ask Canadians to invest in one another.

This will be done by closing loopholes that have allowed corporations to avoid paying their fair share and help alleviate poverty for millions of Canadians.

As Prime Minister, Jagmeet Singh will take bold action and build a tax system that is more fair and just.

It’s time to invest in all Canadians, that is why Jagmeet Singh will introduce a broad collection of tax reforms including:

• More progressive income taxation

• Jagmeet will introduce new tax brackets for high incomes earners. This will include  two new tax brackets for Canadians earning $350,000 and $500,000 respectively that are 2% and 4% higher than the existing marginal rate respectively.

•  Capital gains inclusion rate

• Capital gains almost entirely benefit the wealthiest Canadians. Jagmeet will ensure that the wealthiest Canadians pay their fair share by increasing the capital gains inclusion rate from 50% to 75%.

• Estate taxation

• Jagmeet will implement a 40% estate tax on assets in surplus of $4 million dollars to help build a more equal Canada. Primary residences will be exempt. 

•  Corporate taxation

• Jagmeet will ask corporations to pay more and help build a fairer society. He will reverse the corporate tax cuts of the last 20 years and increase the Corporate Income Tax to 19.5% from 15%.

• Jagmeet will bring an end to corporate perks. Corporate tax write-offs for box seat tickets and expensive meals will end and corporations will be asked to pay their fair share.

• Tackling tax avoidance, evasion, and loopholes

• Jagmeet will make sure the Canada Revenue Agency has the resources it needs to combat tax evasion by providing additional resources for data collection and auditing teams.

Jagmeet will also establish a Tax Fairness Commission. It has been 50 years since the Carter Royal Commission on Taxation and a lot has changed in that time. As Prime Minister, Jagmeet will create an expert commission tasked with recommending a path forward to making the Canadian tax system more progressive and balanced, so the wealthiest in our country are paying their fair share. This will include a review of all existing tax credits, deductions, and the TFSA.

DRUGS

IMMEDIATE DECRIMINALIZATION OF MARIJUANA AND FULL PARDONS

Incarceration of Canadians with marijuana possession offences makes little sense as the government moves to legalize its use. It also disproportionately impacts racialized groups. That’s why Jagmeet calls for:

• The immediate decriminalization of possession of personal amounts of marijuana

• Immediately moving to pardon those with personal cannabis possession charges

• Offering blanket pardons and the dropping of all outstanding charges to those charged with personal cannabis possession   

• Including a provision for review of administrative charges where the original offence was personal cannabis possession and developing a reparatory justice program for individuals 30 years and younger who have been negatively impacted by such charges

A PATH TO COMPLETE DECRIMINALIZATION

It is time that Canada confronts the negative consequences of criminalizing the personal use of illicit drugs and substances. There is an urgent need for Canada to provide support to people who self-medicate with illicit drugs in response to trauma, violence, mental illness, and homelessness.

Jagmeet will:

• Strike an expert task force to determine the best path to decriminalize all personal possession of controlled substances as has been done in Portugal

• In communities most heavily impacted by the overdose crisis, call on the Trudeau government to issue guidance to local law enforcement to suspend enforcement of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act and cease to arrest for possession

RESPONDING TO THE OPIOID CRISIS

In the face of the national opioid overdose crisis, which is devastating families and communities across the country, immediate action is needed. Jagmeet calls on the federal government to immediately: 

• Meet with FCM’s Big City Mayors caucus and commit to a plan to address the recommendations from their Task Force on the Opioid crisis

• Appoint a dedicated team to focus on the overdose crisis across all federal agencies complete with a clear mandate for action and necessary financial resources

• Expedite the approval for requests for supervised consumption services

• Announce opioid agonist therapy (OAT) as an essential service and mandate provinces to provide free methadone and buprenorphine

• Support efforts by cities, municipalities, provinces and First Nations to offer Naloxone for free

• Announce emergency provincial funding dedicated to heroin and hydromorphone assisted treatment

• Scale up training on harm reduction and trauma informed practice for health care providers across the country

• Mandate that people being released from prison who are known to use drugs have a comprehensive discharge plan including housing, social assistance, medical and addiction follow-up.

His first budget will be a whopper!!!!

st27: breath of fresh air is the new leader, however the old stale air that continues to be generated by the NDP is why I said I would never vote for them. 

The only good thing this guy will do is unseat Trudeau and the Liberals as the government, allowing the Conservatives to regain power. 

Go Jagmeet go.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about the man, but I have to admit, when someone's faith requires them to display vivid symbols of religious affiliation on their person, it makes me uncomfortable.

1 hour ago, DEFCON said:

I don't know anything about the man, but I have to admit, when someone's faith requires them to display vivid symbols of religious affiliation on their person, it makes me uncomfortable.

So, I guess most religions (priests, ministers and their followers) etc make you  uncomfortable esp. on Sat, Sun or other days of worship. :D  As for me, as an agnostic........  

"So, I guess most religions (priests, ministers and their followers) etc make you  uncomfortable esp. on Sat, Sun or other days of worship."

You bet they do!

• Haha 1