Sign in to follow this  
Jaydee

Suspected ISIS attack in Edmonton

Recommended Posts

NIMBYS beware...Canada in not immune.

“ We believe the individual acted alone," Edmonton police Chief Rod Knecht said early Sunday, adding that police would investigate the possible involvement of others.

Knecht confirmed that a black ISIS flag was seized from a car where the police officer was attacked. The officer was not critically injured. The condition of the four pedestrians is not known.”

 

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmonton/jasper-downtown-edmonton-pedestrians-struck-1.4315545

Edited by Jaydee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Cultural enrichment.  Just remember, diversity is our strength.

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Edmonton: Five injured in Canada 'terror' incidents

Aerial image of cordoned off scene where van overturned on Jasper avenueImage copyright BOGDAN BABOS Image caption Several locations in the Canadian city were cordoned off by police during the manhunt

Canadian police have confirmed they are investigating possible acts of terrorism after multiple incidents in Edmonton, Alberta, on Saturday night.

They said a police officer controlling traffic at a Canadian Football League game was struck by a car at high speed and then attacked with a knife.

A man driving a van went on to hit at least four pedestrians and was arrested two hours later after a police chase.

Police said an Islamic State (IS) group flag was found in one of the vehicles.

Edmonton Police Service Chief Rod Knecht said the officer and his vehicle were rammed by a white Chevrolet Malibu at about 20:15 local time (04:15 GMT) outside Alberta's Commonwealth Stadium.

 

The driver then got out of his vehicle and stabbed the uniformed officer several times, before fleeing on foot. The officer was taken to hospital but his injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.End of Twitter post by @edmontonpolice

Chief Knecht said information about the vehicle's registered owner was broadcast to patrol officers.

Shortly before midnight, a man driving a U-Haul rental van was pulled over at a checkpoint after his name on documents was said to be "very similar" to the one police were searching for.

"The U-Haul truck then immediately fled the scene, and was pursued by police officers toward downtown Edmonton," the police chief said.

He said the truck "deliberately attempted to hit pedestrians" during the police chase.

The driver, a 30-year-old male, was arrested after his vehicle overturned in a police chase.

Overturned pictured of u-haul van at sceneImage copyright Reuters Image caption The van overturned during the police chase

The condition of the four injured pedestrians is not yet known.

"Based on evidence at the scenes and the actions of the suspect, at 00:38 it was determined these incidents are being investigated as acts of terrorism."

Police said the arrested individual had been known to authorities.

They said they currently believe the suspect acted alone, but are not ruling out the involvement of any others.

Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said he was both "deeply concerned and outraged".

"Our thoughts are with those injured, their family and friends, and all those affected by this senseless act of violence," he said.

"While the investigation continues, early reports indicate that this is another example of the hate that we must remain ever vigilant against."

Grey line

Not the first time for Canada

Jessica Murphy, BBC News, Toronto

Canada is not immune to the forces of extremism and has dealt with attacks on its soil before.

In January, a gunman entered a mosque in Quebec City and fired on worshippers, killing six.

In 2014, gunman Michael Zehaf-Bibeau killed a young soldier guarding the war memorial before driving to parliament, where he was eventually shot and killed.

A few days before, two soldiers were rammed by a car in the province Quebec. The suspect in the hit-and-run was later killed by police. But one soldier was killed and another injured in what was described as an apparent act of home-grown terrorism.

This time, the injured were a police officer controlling traffic during a Canadian football game and and sports fans and bar-goers out on a busy on a Saturday night on a main Edmonton street, Jasper Avenue.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've heard this sort of thing being referred to as 'islamic' extremism / terrorism elsewhere.<_<

Edited by DEFCON

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What we know so far about the suspect in Edmonton attacks

Police investigate the scene after a cube van ran into pedestrians and later flipped over while being pursued by police, in Edmonton on Saturday September 30, 2017. (THE CANADIAN PRESS/Jason Franson)

     
 
     
     
     
     
 
     
     

CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Sunday, October 1, 2017 7:13PM EDT

Police say terrorism and attempted murder charges are pending against a man suspected of carrying out attacks on a police officer and pedestrians in Edmonton.

Although police have refused to release his name until he is formally charged, CTV News has confirmed that the suspect is 30-year-old Abdulahi Sharif.

Police did confirm at a news conference Sunday that the suspect is a Somali national. He is a refugee in Canada.

The attacks in Edmonton started outside a football game on Saturday night, when a police officer was struck by a car and then stabbed several times. The suspect later deliberately plowed a U-Haul cube van into pedestrians on a downtown street, police allege.

The suspect was arrested after the cube van crashed and flipped onto its side.

RCMP assistant commissioner Marlin Degrand said the suspect was on the police radar in 2015, when Edmonton police were notified of reports that the man was “espousing extremist ideology.”

Degrand said an investigation was launched and RCMP interviewed the suspect, among other people.

“At the end of that exhaustive investigation, there was insufficient evidence to pursue terrorism charges or a peace bond,” Degrand said.

At that time, the suspect was not deemed a threat to national security since he “showed no signs of active recruitment or radicalization to violence,” Degrand said.

He added that police “had no intelligence” that warranted keeping the suspect under further investigation.

Until the weekend attacks in Edmonton, the suspect had “no negative interactions of a criminal nature with police,” Degrand said.

Both the RCMP and Edmonton police said it appears the suspect acted alone in the attacks, but their investigation continues.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To date, we have been very lucky… incompetent attackers and poor planning have saved the day. Regardless of this guys motives, it is a chilling lesson in vulnerability and worthy of inclusion in the thread as food for thought. It qualifies as the worst mass casualty shooting in the US. BTW, it appears the response time here was nothing short of outstanding and I don’t think you could expect better. This provides some idea of the threat and what I mean by being lucky.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/world/las-vegas-shooting-1.4316121

For Canada, It’s too late to discuss immigration as a mitigation tool now. That doesn’t mean you throw your hands in the air, it means you acknowledge where we be at. Time to move on. Enhanced surveillance, monitoring and restriction of what some might see as rights, is simply a reality and should be seen as the new norm. Now, no whimpering about your rights... I don't care, it's the cost of doing business so lets get on with it. 

Edited by Wolfhunter

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This goes to show that our handling of refugee claims is suspect.


Edmonton attacker was ordered to be deported from U.S. in 2011 


CTV National News: New details on Edmonton attack 
  
New information about the Edmonton attack suspect is raising questions about his admission into Canada. Mercedes Stephenson reports.
 CTVNews.ca Staff 
 Published Tuesday, October 3, 2017 3:20PM EDT  
 Last Updated Tuesday, October 3, 2017 10:00PM EDT  


A Somali refugee accused in a series of brazen attacks in Edmonton on Saturday was jailed in the U.S. in 2011 and ordered to be deported back to his home country.

But officials say Abdulahi Hasan Sharif eluded authorities during his supervised release and eventually ended up in Edmonton, where he is now charged in connection with an attack on a police officer and four pedestrians.

U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement confirmed that Sharif was in a U.S. detention centre in San Diego, Calif., in July 2011 when he was transferred into U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody.
Somalian-born Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, 30, is facing numerous vehicle-related charges, (Edmonton Police)

Officials say Sharif, 30, had no known criminal history at the time.

Sharif was later ordered to be removed from the U.S. by an immigration judge. He chose not to appeal the decision.

In Nov. 2011, he was released under certain supervisions and was required to report to ICE officials. However, in early 2012, officials say Sharif failed to report on his scheduled date.

Subsequent efforts to find the missing man, carried out by ICE Enforcement and Removal Operations, failed.

According to Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, Sharif crossed into Canada in 2012 by legal means at an official border crossing. He later received refugee status.

CTV News has learned that Sharif entered Canada directly from the U.S., not Somalia.

In a statement, Goodale’s office said officials were aware of Sharif’s detention but that because he was picked up in the U.S. for immigration reasons rather than criminality, it did not make him inadmissible to Canada. The statement added that there were no red flags.

Three years after arriving in Canada, Sharif was investigated by RCMP for having extremist beliefs. At the time, investigators decided that he did not pose a threat, and he was released.

Sharif is now the lone suspect charged after a driver struck an Edmonton police officer with a car, stabbed him and ran down four pedestrians with a cube van. A police chase ensued, and officers eventually flipped the vehicle on its side and arrested the suspect with a Taser and stun grenade.

He appeared in court Tuesday on 11 charges, including five counts of attempted murder.

An ISIS flag was found inside the vehicle after the incident. Police have not laid terrorism charges and say that their investigation is complex. Investigators said it is believed that the suspect acted alone.

No one was killed in the attack. The police officer, Const. Mike Chernyk, has since been treated and released, while two victims remained in hospital as of Monday.

Sharif also faces charges of dangerous driving, criminal flight causing bodily harm and possession of a weapon for a dangerous purpose.

His case has been put over until Nov. 14 to give him time to hire a lawyer.
 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now the taxpayer is forced to fund another long expensive process to protect the rights of and care for this disease. I say disease because the number of 'cases' will continue to grow and probably overwhelm the system.

There is no plausible outcome that ends well for us. If we really are at 'war' against terrorism, let's get real about our approach to managing the counter fight.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

"According to Public Safety Minister Ralph Goodale, Sharif crossed into Canada in 2012 by legal means at an official border crossing. He later received refugee status."

Thanks Ralph...I feel much safer now...my faith in our border security has been restored. ( on Harpers watch, but this only illustrates we haven't a clue who is now in the country).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

.

'Diversity is our strength'

You tell him Justin and if he doesn't like it ask him 'what's he gonna do about it?'


Trump administration cites Edmonton attack in call for immigration changes

Mon Oct 9, 2017 - The Globe and Mail
by Adrian Morrow

WASHINGTON - The Trump administration wants to change the immigration rules that allowed a man accused of perpetrating a terrorist attack in Edmonton last month to evade a U.S. deportation order years ago and come to Canada.

The White House also wants to tighten security along the U.S. border with Canada as part of a plan to toughen immigration controls across the country.

One administration official cited the case of Abdulahi Hasan Sharif, 30, Sunday evening as President Donald Trump sent Congress a set of border-security and immigration changes he wants passed.

Mr. Sharif was arrested in San Diego in July of 2011 and ordered deported to Somalia by a judge later that year. He was then released, failed to report for his deportation and could not be located by U.S. authorities after January, 2012. U.S. authorities have said that Mr. Sharif had no known criminal history at the time.

Mr. Sharif subsequently arrived in Canada and received refugee status. He now stands accused of stabbing a police officer outside a football game at Commonwealth Stadium on Sept. 30 and running down pedestrians in a truck during a later chase.

The administration official said Sunday that Mr. Sharif was released in 2011 because authorities were having trouble deporting him, as Somalia at the time was not repatriating its citizens. The official said the administration wants to "address" this problem.

In his message to Congress, Mr. Trump called for new rules that would "end the practice of catch-and-release" and give Immigration and Customs Enforcement more power to keep prospective deportees in custody until they are removed from the country. Part of the problem, the President wrote, was a 2001 Supreme Court decision that prevents authorities from detaining people for more than 180 days if there is no imminent prospect for their deportation.

Mr. Trump also called on Congress to "improve infrastructure and security on the northern border." He did not detail what exact improvements he wanted to see. Officials also said the U.S. must work to secure both "northern and southern borders."

The references to border security with Canada are unusual. While Mr. Trump has long highlighted what he believes are border problems, he has tended to focus solely on his country's frontier with Mexico.

These provisions were just two of many demands outlined by the White House Sunday. They also include building Mr. Trump's long-promised wall on the U.S. border with Mexico, cracking down on "sanctuary cities" that refuse to help round up undocumented immigrants and dealing with undocumented immigrants who arrived as children.

.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this