Swoop??

anonymous

30 minutes ago, Tango Niner said:

No, but Asia is definitely on their radar - I'm thinking from western Canada. Gregg S has stated that clearly on a couple of occasions. So, 787.

Westjet’s long haul seasonal route structure which used to flown by Wardair, C3 and others would better be served with a 777-200 of which there several available on the gently used airplane market. A lot of econ seat configs with good leg room and some premium rows. The 787 has the legs for long haul but the seating configuration would be limited with WS airfares. More cabin crew, senior pilots flying and lots of layover time crossing that int’l date line. It would have to earn its keep 24/7. 

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, Tango Niner said:

No, but Asia is definitely on their radar - I'm thinking from western Canada. Gregg S has stated that clearly on a couple of occasions. So, 787.

So... Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing, no route over 6000nm from YVR or YYC.

I have my own opinion on WestJet's direction and I like some of what we're doing (others not so much). When we added Plus everyone thought it was a joke. Terrible idea. I wonder how many people feel the same now? I bet every WJ employee on the forum will tell you it's almost always full. The demand and revenue is there and I expect it to expand to more rows. I'm curious to see how 787 business class is going to look. That is ultimately going to determine the success or failure of the 787s. I have full trust and confidence in WJ selecting the right route(s) to fly but the product offering is going to make or break the flights. Not the routes. 

On 12/13/2017 at 9:45 PM, CanadaEH said:

When we added Plus everyone thought it was a joke. Terrible idea. I wonder how many people feel the same now? I bet every WJ employee on the forum will tell you it's almost always full.

How many of those are paid for Plus seats vs discounted upgrades at check-in or as I have experienced operational upgrades because Y is full.

On 12/13/2017 at 3:00 PM, Super 80 said:

So... Tokyo, Seoul, Hong Kong, Shanghai and Beijing, no route over 6000nm from YVR or YYC.

It is very easy to just throw out some names of places that would be cool to serve.  Slots required at many if not all airports these days.

They do not grow on trees.

Also wonder what if anything Delta will have to say about Asia, now that WJ has left one bed to crawl into another with DL ???

1 hour ago, Super 80 said:

I don't think this will be easy at all, I think WS will have a very rough go of it entering the Asian market. I'm just struggling with the 787-9 order in the context of their ambitions over the next ten years.

Agreed, mighty big airplane for Hawaii and Gatwick.

WS has also mentions South America, not an easy market either. easier to enter I would guess.

Archived