Swoop??

anonymous

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Super 80 said:

Looks like they basically plagiarized the Spirit website right down to the hokey video.

And correct me if I'm wrong, but Swoop isn't exactly bilingual in a colloquial way is it?

you made me look;

IN BASIC ENGLISH :British English: swoop VERB. If police or soldiers swoop on a place, they go there suddenly and quickly, usually in order to arrest someone or to attack the place. The terror ended when armed police swooped on the car.

in French:

swoop

(ˈswuːp )

noun

1. (by police, soldiers) descente f
    to make a swoop on sth faire une descente sur qch

2. [of bird, plane] descente f en piqué, piqué m
    ⇒ The swallow made another dazzling swoop through the air. L'hirondelle fit un autre piqué vertigineux.
  3. (= go)
    in one fell swoop or at one fell swoop d'un seul coup d'un seul

intransitive verb

1. (also swoop down) [bird, plane] descendre en piqué, piquer

2. [police, troops] faire une descente
    to swoop on sth faire une descente sur qch

16 minutes ago, internet said:

The dumbest name. The ugliest livery. With the sole purpose of doing exactly what WS screamed and went insane over in the early 2000 - to eliminate upcoming competition.

Wont take very long for people to disparagingly call it "poop"

If so then the latest update will of course be called "The Latest Poop on Scoop".  :lol:

I always chuckle when I hear people share their thoughts on an airlines name (or a pets name or a kids name or.....). There's that initial shock but it becomes normal after a while. Who cares about the name or the livery it's the purpose or application that should matter.

51 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

If so then the latest update will of course be called "The Latest Poop on Scoop".  :lol:

Yes, but it will all fit well should Swoop decide to resurrect the oh-so-fun WestJet tradition of TP races in the aisle.  Yee-haw.

16 hours ago, MD2 said:

Yet as it is, people drive all the way to Buffalo to catch a cheaper flight. Flights out of Hamilton will likely be full of people that are tired of paying $650 for a one way flight from Vancouver to Toronto and not even get a sandwich for it! Not to mention that the area already has 4 million people in its own catchment. Air Canada has simply reduced the service while keeping the price up, even with fuel prices dropping; just because it could. That will soon change as it attempts to chase the new entrants.

I think this is true for some, but most people I know in Toronto fly from Pearson. If you live in Mississauga through Niagara, it's a practical option. But for getting to Buffalo you need to navigate a number of choked highways, and go through the pleasures of US customs lineups (far worse, from my experience, at land crossings). Once a year holiday travellers, especially families, do it, but not more frequent travellers that I know. 

I think it's stupid and I would personally never bother, but if you have a family of four or five the savings add up. I know a family in Calgary that drove all the way to Seattle to fly to Orlando because it was $450 less per head and there were five of them.

To the question about WS pilots signing an LOU. Why would WestJet pilots do this before having a first CBA in place? I beleive the expansion is limited within the existing network as the bargaining unit would have a right to follow their work. Canadian Labour laws date back 100 plus years addressing another company starting up to circumvent a union. 

(long time lurker)

• 2 weeks later...

Swoop partners with Navitaire Français

Swoop

07:00 ET

Reservation system to be the heart of Swoop's digital operations

CALGARY, Oct. 18, 2017 /CNW/ - Swoop announced today it has selected Navitaire as its reservation system. Navitaire is globally-recognized as the go-to reservation and retailing system for ultra-low-cost carriers (ULCCs) around the world.

"Swoop is here to provide low fares for the price-sensitive traveller and our partnership with Navitaire will help Swoop create the low-cost structure and ancillary capabilities needed to ensure our success," said Bob Cummings, WestJet Executive Vice-President Strategy. "Navitaire offers an easy-to-use reservation system allowing the complete unbundling of products and services as well as enabling digital self-service. We are giving the power to the customer to decide what they want to pay for and what they don't - making the airline a truly affordable option for Canadians."

"We are delighted Swoop has selected Navitaire as its reservation platform," said David P. Evans, Navitaire CEO. "Navitaire is the leader in reservation and ancillary revenue-generating systems for the world's largest and most successful ultra-low-cost carriers. We are impressed with the team Swoop has assembled, its business model and market plans. Together, Navitaire and Swoop are a good fit, sharing DNA focused on combining advanced retailing with a digital-first, proven platform to help create an innovative, customer-centric business. We're looking forward to watching Swoop's success and future growth as they take the ULCC model to new heights."  

Sign up at FlySwoop.com to receive details about Swoop's job opportunities, launch plans and to learn more about Canada's newest airline.

I understand that Navitaire is kind of a simple version of Amadeus.  Why wouldn't it have been cheaper to use WestJet's existing Sabre system to sell Swoop's product?

I'm  also curious about whether Navitaire has the ability to link with Sabre or if with this move WestJet is entirely separating its mainline and ULCC products.  Will combined itineraries be offered?

1 hour ago, FA@AC said:

I understand that Navitaire is kind of a simple version of Amadeus.

Amadeus bought Navitaire a while back.  It did not make Navitaire any more robust and it is still only suitable for smaller simpler operations. 

12 hours ago, FA@AC said:

I'm  also curious about whether Navitaire has the ability to link with Sabre or if with this move WestJet is entirely separating its mainline and ULCC products.  Will combined itineraries be offered?

I think it can be done with XML or EDIFACT.

Archived