Duty Times for Flight Crew

blues deville

Couldn't find the previous thread. 

Garneau says let the current rules 'ride'. I get tired of listening to politicians in this country who have a permanent crease in their a$$ from sitting on a fence.

Fix the rules or next time someone may actually land on that wrong runway. 

https://www.skiesmag.com/news/transport-minister-grilled-pilot-flight-duty-times/?utm_source=skies-daily-news-todays-news&utm_campaign=skies-daily-news&utm_medium=email&utm_term=todays-news&utm_content=V1

I find that individuals and organizations that use the 'safety' word the most are also most likely to simply be paying lip service to the safety philosophy.

A true safety culture is about actions not words. And the Minister's actions speak volumes.

If it's unsafe to use the current regulations then why did ACPA just agree to additional growth at Rouge (who follow CARs regs as working rules vs mainline work rules) for pension improvements as in CASH!!!! If the airframes stayed at mainline they would be working under "safer" work rules than CARs" right?

The rules definitely need to change and they are following the process that is required ie Gazette 1, comments period (90 days- it closes next week), then Treasury board, Gazette 2, etc. ACPA left out that both EASA and the FAA allowed a 24 month implementation time frame for the industry to allow for software development, training, etc. the proposed regs give a 12 month timeframe which the software companies say they can't meet because the rules aren't finalized yet. "Chicken & egg"

Sorry but ACPA has it's own agenda too. It's "Please legislate what I couldn't negotiate" 

DEFCON, aren't you still trying to sue ACPA or it's members?

23 minutes ago, Bobcaygeon said:

If it's unsafe to use the current regulations then why did ACPA just agree to additional growth at Rouge (who follow CARs regs as working rules vs mainline work rules) for pension improvements as in CASH!!!! If the airframes stayed at mainline they would be working under "safer" work rules than CARs" right?

The rules definitely need to change and they are following the process that is required ie Gazette 1, comments period (90 days- it closes next week), then Treasury board, Gazette 2, etc. ACPA left out that both EASA and the FAA allowed a 24 month implementation time frame for the industry to allow for software development, training, etc. the proposed regs give a 12 month timeframe which the software companies say they can't meet because the rules aren't finalized yet. "Chicken & egg"

Sorry but ACPA has it's own agenda too. It's "Please legislate what I couldn't negotiate" 

DEFCON, aren't you still trying to sue ACPA or it's members?

Why spend negotiating "capital" on something that the regulator is supposedly going to fix ???

Is there perhaps another reason why ACPA is not taking any action?  Living in the past as I do, when I was a union rep., it was impossible to convince the majority of the members to support an issue was only negatively effecting a minority of the members, in other words what is the percentage of ACPA members who are currently negatively affected by the long duty days? If they are in the minority, don't expect this to be a "cause celebre"  for the union that would result in work stoppage if not resolved. 

No  union wants to have to settle FTDT issues within the CBA. That is one of the reasons that ALPA moved its HQ from Chicago to DC decades ago. It was an understanding that lobbying for flight safety issues to be manifest in regulations was more effective (and consistent) than attempting to bring about change at multiple bargaining tables.

A good start in Canada would be a return to one voice for all airline pilots.

Archived