Identify this aircraft.

Seeker

2 hours ago, boestar said:

2000-Honda-GL1500CFValkyrieInterstate.jpThis is a Valkyrie....

A 500,000 lb jet that flies Mach 3 at FL710 carrying nuclear bombs or a motorcycle - which one "owns" the name Valkyrie?

Aside from the fact the jet took the name in 1963 and was therefore first (motorcycle introduced in 1996) this description seems to fit the jet a little better (although the Valkyrie motorcycle is pretty impressive);

Valkyrie, also spelled Walkyrie, Old Norse Valkyrja (“Chooser of the Slain”), in Norse mythology, any of a group of maidens who served the god Odin and were sent by him to the battlefields to choose the slain who were worthy of a place in Valhalla. These foreboders of war rode to the battlefield on horses, wearing helmets and shields; in some accounts, they flew through the air and sea. Some Valkyries had the power to cause the death of the warriors they did not favour; others, especially heroine Valkyries, guarded the lives and ships of those dear to them. Old Norse literature made references to purely supernatural Valkyries and also to human Valkyries with certain supernatural powers. Both types of beings were associated with fairness, brightness, and gold, as well as bloodshed.

7 hours ago, boestar said:

The XB-70 is on display at the Museum of the United States Air Force.  If you have never been...GO

What he said, and give yourself two days to see the place properly. 

4 hours ago, seeker said:

A 500,000 lb jet that flies Mach 3 at FL710 carrying nuclear bombs or a motorcycle - which one "owns" the name Valkyrie?

Aside from the fact the jet took the name in 1963 and was therefore first (motorcycle introduced in 1996) this description seems to fit the jet a little better (although the Valkyrie motorcycle is pretty impressive);

Valkyrie, also spelled Walkyrie, Old Norse Valkyrja (“Chooser of the Slain”), in Norse mythology, any of a group of maidens who served the god Odin and were sent by him to the battlefields to choose the slain who were worthy of a place in Valhalla. These foreboders of war rode to the battlefield on horses, wearing helmets and shields; in some accounts, they flew through the air and sea. Some Valkyries had the power to cause the death of the warriors they did not favour; others, especially heroine Valkyries, guarded the lives and ships of those dear to them. Old Norse literature made references to purely supernatural Valkyries and also to human Valkyries with certain supernatural powers. Both types of beings were associated with fairness, brightness, and gold, as well as bloodshed.

I posted because I ride one. 

5 hours ago, boestar said:

I posted because I ride one. 

Lucky man.  Biggest Honda I ever owned was a CX500 Deluxe.  Like this one:

honda-cx-500-deluxe-07.jpg

It was a pretty good bike in it's day (but it's definitely no Valkyrie).

54 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

Nice bike, but what's the type shown in the second photo? 

C-46.

Here's the outside of the one posted above and one of an Air Manitoba C-46 50 years after WW2.

C-46.JPG

Air Manitoba C-46.jpg

Archived