Weather and Staffing delays at YYZ Aug 12, 2017

What the heck?  YYZ weather looks to be no problem. Anyone have any idea what the real problem is / was????

Weather, reduced staffing causing some Toronto flights to be cancelled
The Canadian Press
Published Saturday, August 12, 2017 9:42PM EDT
Last Updated Saturday, August 12, 2017 10:22PM EDT

TORONTO - Weather and reduced staffing of air traffic controllers at Toronto Pearson International Airport is causing delays and dozens of flight cancellations.

NAV Canada, which owns and operates Canada's civil air navigation service, says weather has affected flights to Montreal and Newark, N.J., from Toronto.

In an email Saturday, spokesman Jonathan Bagg says flights scheduled to land in Toronto are also affected by weather and reduced staffing levels at Pearson's control tower.

He says a ground delay program has been implemented, which is a traffic management procedure where flights are delayed at their departure airport to manage demand and capacity at their arrival airport.

NAV Canada did not explain the reason for the reduced staffing levels, but says it is working to get aircraft "on their way as quickly as possible."

About 80 flights scheduled to arrive at Pearson had been cancelled as of Saturday evening.

In a tweet Saturday afternoon, the airport was warning passengers that lightning could affect their flight schedules.

In many different ways, LBPIA and CYYZ are becoming a joke.

Canada's busiest airport? The worlds most expensive airport? What are users (passengers/airlines) getting for their $$? Inability to deal with weekend traffic flow due to a missing tower controller? Traffic flow restrictions of nearly 50% for runway renewal? Terminal buildings that fall far short of the standard in the modern era.

Things are not getting better. It is just more of the same. Security lines - ridiculous. Customs lines - ridiculous. Many, many available queues unused due to no staff.

Best line I ever head from a US airline pilot was "My definition of happpiness is YYZ in my VOR with a 'from' indication". 

Pearson airport should be a place that people look forward to going to, not leaving behind. It is turning in to a national embarrassment.

Yesterday Swissport picketers were creating huge lineups of cars trying to access parking off Viscount Rd. I understand the frustration of workers, but does it help when you inconvenience other staff, and not management?

As for Nav Canada, what recourse do we have with a monopoly?? Where is is our Transport Minister ?? (or are drones still keeping him awake at night?).  Example....Tues /8th doing a rescue mission....2030 call clc del...grnd delay program for Yz ....yah right!  These grad delays are becoming more and more frequent, more frustrating, and what can the customer do? At the end of the day it costs the operators Thousand and thousands in misconnects and spoiled travel plans.

I have no hesitation in blaming Nav Canada/ atc for the passengers inconvenience in my PAs.

The other great line from a Us pilot: Hey Yz, just want you to know you guys are #2 in the world for atc........Really who's' #1???he asked..

Response....Everbody else!!!

btw...just a reminder but the CEO of Nav Canada "earns" $4.5 mil a year!!

As I mentioned, tues night at 830??. They might becoming more frequent, but what is the cause?? And from a business point, shouldn't be accepted, unless Nav Canada starts giving rebates from lack of performance!

52 minutes ago, st27 said:

As I mentioned, tues night at 830??. They might becoming more frequent, but what is the cause?? And from a business point, shouldn't be accepted, unless Nav Canada starts giving rebates from lack of performance!

I think they call that robbing Peter to pay Peter.

CYYZ has always been the airport with widest array of excuses to explain away the facility's lacking operational performance.

$4.5 million ... really? And Swissport employees have to fight for something better than minimum wage? On what basis could that salary ever be justified? Who in the business world is deserving of this sort of compensation for their time?

In return for that kind of coin the public could fairly expect the operation to be run so well there'd never ever even be a water drip found on the floor of any of the facility's public washrooms. 

"Yesterday Swissport picketers were creating huge lineups of cars trying to access parking off Viscount Rd. I understand the frustration of workers, but does it help when you inconvenience other staff, and not management?"

With respect ... yes.

When a fellow labour group goes on strike and takes some form of action that screws up the normal operational flow, management inherits loads of problems ... imho, the rest of us need to support their action in every legal way possible.

If Airlines are losing so much money and Why not fly more point to point from some of the medium and even smaller airports in Canada ?but they just keep feeding more and more traffic into Toronto.

were are the passenger bill of rights on GTAA and NAv Canada ? Make them accountable.and not put the burden on the airlines.

16 minutes ago, J.O. said:

My son sent me some pictures of the domestic baggage claim in T1, which was a real mess last night. It's going to take weeks to sort it all out.

I wonder how bad is the outbound "lost baggage" situation?

In a world where "good" jobs are supposedly in short supply there is no excuse for Nav Canada to claim staff shortages when challenged about service levels at YYZ. My understanding of controller jobs is that they start at around $60K for trainees, and once you're qualified begin above the $80K mark. And within a few years $150,000 depending on a few factors. Not to mention great schedule, union representation, vacation time, benefits, pension etc etc. In other words, it's a great job that should have absolutely zero reason for shortages. Staff shortage my butt, zero accountability here. A good friend of mine said they haven't hired anyone for his sector in nearly 10 years!! What!?!?

In our daily news, it is reported our exec team has been in contact with Nav Canada at the highest levels, to ensure the service returns to normal. Ya...probably around October November when golfing, boating, etc isn't so appealing!

If Airlines are losing so much money and Why not fly more point to point from some of the medium and even smaller airports in Canada ?

And coming this winter the idiots over at Westjet are dropping a lot of their point to point flights from smaller airports and funneling even more people through YYZ.  Standing by for the inevitable sh*t show and corresponding headlines this winter. 

1 hour ago, ModerateChop said:

And coming this winter the idiots over at Westjet are dropping a lot of their point to point flights from smaller airports and funneling even more people through YYZ.  Standing by for the inevitable sh*t show and corresponding headlines this winter. 

The who over at where? :)

Pearson airport suffers another close call on a runway

Safety officials are assessing yet another runway incursion at Pearson, similar to a rash of incidents which has already spurred a review of operations at the busy airport.

Tues., Aug. 15, 2017 - Toronto Star
By Bruce Campion-Smith - Ottawa Bureau

OTTAWA—A U.S. regional jet, same runways at Pearson — and a quick radio warning from an air traffic controller to prevent a close call.

Safety officials are probing yet another runway incursion that happened Monday at Canada’s busiest airport, a virtual carbon copy of past incidents that have spurred a review of runway operations by the Transportation Safety Board.

“Again, very similar to the other incursions,” Ewan Tasker, the safety board’s regional manager for air investigations, said Tuesday.

In Monday’s incident, an Embraer 175 regional jet operated by Republic Airline, had landed on runway 24 left about 6:35 p.m. after a flight from Newark, N.J. The jet exited on to a taxiway at the end of the runway and a tower controller gave the pilots instructions to hold short of a parallel runway.

An Air Canada Boeing 787 bound for Zurich was cleared for departure on that parallel runway and began its take-off roll.

But as has happened many times before, the controller, concerned that the jet was going a “little fast” and wasn’t going to stop as instructed, issued fresh instructions, Tasker said.

“Brickyard 3553, please stop there,” the controller said, using the airline’s call sign, according to a recording on the website liveatc.net.

The jet stopped but just past the hold short line that marks the boundary to the protected runway environment. At the time, the Air Canada jet was halfway down the parallel runway, accelerating quickly for take-off, Tasker said.

Even if the regional jet entered the parallel runway, the Air Canada flight was safely airborne by that point, he said.

But Tasker said this latest event drives home the concerns around a recent rash of incursions involving the two parallel runways on the airport’s south side that has prompted the safety board to launch a special review of operations.

During busy periods, aircraft land on the outer runway and then taxi across the inner runway to reach the terminal buildings. But in almost two dozen occasions in recent years, aircraft have failed to stop as instructed on a taxiway.

“The direct risk of collision on this individual event again, not extremely high, but change the circumstances a bit and that severity changes significantly,” Tasker said.

The review is looking at a host of factors — pilot and controller procedures, human factors, airport design — to find ways to minimize the high rate of incursions.

Archived