AC and Lot at YYZ Touch Wings.

No injuries after two planes clip wings at Toronto airport

planes clip wings

A viewer submitted this photo of two planes clipping wings at Pearson Airport on Saturday. (Photo submitted by Kapilan Kayilanathan/ CP24)
CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Sunday, August 6, 2017 8:07AM EDT

Police say there were no injuries after two passenger airplanes clipped wings at Toronto’s Pearson Airport Saturday night.

According to Peel Police, outbound an LOT Polish Airlines plane and an inbound Air Canada flight touched wings at the gate around 10:20 p.m.

All passengers disembarked the planes safely and no injuries were reported.

The LOT flight was cancelled and passengers had to rebook their flights.

Police say no charges were laid in connection with the incident.

Since the LOT aircraft was parked (assuming it was on the mark) I guess any investigation will be directed towards the AC (Rouge) aircraft.

No one injured after 2 airplanes at Pearson clip wings

Transportation safety board reports extensive damage to both Air Canada plane and LOT Polish Airlines plane

By Muriel Draaisma, CBC NewsPosted: Aug 06, 2017 10:07 AM ET Last Updated: Aug 06, 2017 10:07 AM ET

No one was injured when two airplanes clipped wings while nearing the gate at Toronto's Pearson International Airport on Saturday night, according to the Greater Toronto Airports Authority. (CBC)

No one was injured when two airplanes clipped wings at Toronto's Pearson International Airport on Saturday night, according to the Greater Toronto Airports Authority.

Air Canada Flight AC1713 made contact with a LOT Polish Airlines plane, LOT046, at the gate of Terminal 1 at about 10:18 p.m., Natalie Moncur, spokesperson for the GTAA, said Sunday.

Peter Fitzpatrick, spokesperson for Air Canada, said in an email there were 286 passengers on board the Air Canada flight at the time of the collision.

The inbound Air Canada Rouge plane, a Boeing 767-300, had arrived from Punta Cana in the Dominican Republic and was parking when it collided with the LOT aircraft, he said.

"The matter is under investigation," he said on Sunday.

TSB is gathering information

Chris Krepski, spokesperson for the Transportation Safety Board of Canada, based in Gatineau, Que., said damage to the wings of both aircraft was extensive. The LOT aircraft was a Boeing 787, he said.

The board was notified about the collision involving the two airplanes and is gathering information, but has not sent an investigator to the airport, he said. A formal TSB investigation has not yet been launched.

"Based on the information we received, it was the Air Canada aircraft that contacted the wing of the LOT Polish Airlines aircraft while taxiing to the gate. The LOT aircraft at the time was parked at the time and preparing for departure," he said.

"We have been notified and we are following up with both operators as well as Greater Toronto Airports Authority, but we are not deploying to the airport right now. We are going to assess what our next steps will be."

Moncur said the collision occurred on what is known as the "apron" in the gate area, where the planes park to allow passengers to board and disembark. 

She said the GTAA's Fire and Emergency Services, Peel Regional Police, Mississauga Fire and Toronto Paramedic Services all responded to the collision.

"Anytime an incident occurs, we, of course, follow protocol, and that includes calling the Transportation Safety Board, which is what happened last night," Moncur said.

I'm having trouble visualizing this. The LOT aircraft is stationary and boarding pax. The other airplane is in the process of approaching the gate. Surely it must have completed its turn and is going straight in? That suggests there eas insufficient room---- and that can't be correct.

And where is the " wing walker"?

27 minutes ago, UpperDeck said:

I'm having trouble visualizing this. The LOT aircraft is stationary and boarding pax. The other airplane is in the process of approaching the gate. Surely it must have completed its turn and is going straight in? That suggests there eas insufficient room---- and that can't be correct.

And where is the " wing walker"?

Teamsters is reporting that some managers from Swissport (who are on strike) were conducting a pushback on LOT, and the wingwalker was a untrained temp hire.

17 minutes ago, conehead said:

Teamsters is reporting that some managers from Swissport (who are on strike) were conducting a pushback on LOT, and the wingwalker was a untrained temp hire.

Not sure that's correct as does not AC handle operations at T1

8 hours ago, conehead said:

Not surprising claim on behalf of the Teamsters but the news story said the LOT aircraft was still boarding passengers..... LOT schedule departure was 10:20 and the AC arrival was 10:05.   

The video here clearly shows that the LOT aircraft was still at the gate and the bridge had yet to be retracted.

http://globalnews.ca/news/3651527/airplanes-clip-wings-toronto-pearson-airport/?utm_source=ShawConnect&utm_medium=MostPopular&utm_campaign=2014

It was either C33 or C34 at T3 that had a new center line recently added for 787 use. Parking on this corner gate needed to be adjusted for the wider wingspan Boeing.

Parking near a 787 requires a coordinated effort from flight and ground crew. A lazy or less than square turn by an inbound a/c and no wing walkers is an incident waiting to happen. 

Replacement workers are receiving only two hours of training. 

My first job in this industry was a summer student with Delta in YUL. The airline sent us to Boston with others from all over the US to attend a week long course. All aspects of airline ground handling were reviewed in detail including memorization of all DL system IATA destination codes. Marshalling (you had to stand at attention and salute the skipper after pushback/disconnect)  FMC loader operation, and familiarization with B727 and L1011 aircraft. I found it to be all very interesting and the operational training I received has helped me throughout my flying career.

Anyone operating into YYZ now should be on high alert with their aircraft movement and ground handing.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/union-blames-labour-dispute-after-planes-clip-wings-1.3535029

Blues notes the hit from behind on the 787 tip. I would expect the trailing edge to be more susceptible to damage in this sort of collision than its leading edge.

Regardless of the direction the strike came from,  I've always wondered how the manufacturer determines if the forces absorbed by the structure following a wingtip collision exceed load limits along the spars, and or at the root.

The 787 aircraft design with its light weight materials are a whole new ball game. 

Years ago Nordair had a 737 (CF-NAP) end up in a snow bank in Charlottetown after a bad crosswind landing. The right engine took a hit somewhere along the landing and displaced the wing position backwards a fraction of an inch. The right side fuselage was also wrinkled from nose to tail. With all of that Boeing determined the wing position was still within limits and airworthy. 

19 hours ago, DEFCON said:

Blues notes the hit from behind on the 787 tip. I would expect the trailing edge to be more susceptible to damage in this sort of collision than its leading edge.

Regardless of the direction the strike came from,  I've always wondered how the manufacturer determines if the forces absorbed by the structure following a wingtip collision exceed load limits along the spars, and or at the root.

decades of experience with some pretty knowledgeable engineers.  The amount of damage at the impact site and load path analysis would be able to determine the forces involved.

They also know the amount of damage the spar can tolerate because they test them to the point of failure.

When the Boeing 727 wing was tested in the iron bird, it exceeded the engineers expectations of failure by a factor of 2.  That aircraft was designed on paper using slide rules.

Fwiw..last night we were transported from gate 175 to 122 (yyz) in a ramp vehicle. Aside from doing walk arounds, what a different perspective being airside ground level from being in the cocokpit. It's dangerous out there!

Yes it is.  there are hazards everywhere.  That is why training for ground is so important and some of these companies that arent doing whats necessary to train their people should be reprimanded.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2017 at 11:05 AM, st27 said:

Fwiw..last night we were transported from gate 175 to 122 (yyz) in a ramp vehicle. Aside from doing walk arounds, what a different perspective being airside ground level from being in the cocokpit. It's dangerous out there!

I once ferried an aircraft from YYC to YVR and had to park it at a transborder gate.  Since we hadn't arrived from the USA we were transported by a ramp manager's minivan around to the domestic terminal to avoid customs.  It's terrifying down on the ramp even though it was daytime in nice summer weather and the guy driving went nice and slow in the designated vehicle lanes.  Airplanes are huge when seen from ground level - can't even imagine what it would be like to be out on the open ramp at night in bad weather.

Flying in and out of ANC can be interesting place for plane watching especially from the back seat of a crew van. Lots of heavies and Alaskan a/c moving around. I saw one of their combi 737s recently. Didn't know they operated any. 

Archived