Sign in to follow this  
UpperDeck

SFO Incident

mo32a    281

The offset approach is corrected at 4 miles final, they were much closer than that. In fact with 28L out of service and a visual approach there was no need for them to be offset at all. I would think even if you are doing a visual you would tune the ILS up and see immediately that you weren't where you were supposed to be.

• Like 1

Vsplat    277

Given the time of arrival, they were likely cleared for a noise abatement visual.  The expectation would be that they would follow the cleared approach routing until cleared otherwise. 

SFO is not always pristine in their clearances, perhaps there was some confusion here. Certainly the way in which tower replied when the crew queried traffic was less clear than it could have been  

Vs

gator    10

I'm not convinced that all of the information supposedly supplied by authorities is correct. For example, they say that the flight overflew the first two aircraft at 100 ft, the 3rd by 200 ft and the 4th by 300 ft. 

With 100 ft between aircraft and a 200 ft body length, the 4th aircraft is only 400 ft from the second aircraft.

So the aircraft in the go around climbed 200 ft in 500 ft (the distance between the 2nd and 4th aircraft with 100 ft between them). That's about 5,000 ft/min (23 degree angle of climb... meaning more than 20 degree body angle with flaps out) at 125 kts. The A320 is pretty dramatic in go around mode, but I don't think it did 5,000 ft/min.

Bottom line... there's a lot of holes in the (sparse, at best) available information. You know the drill....

• Like 2

DEFCON    650

"Bottom line... there's a lot of holes in the (sparse, at best) available information."

Couldn't agree more!