Just another day in the life of a FA

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So if a ground crew person blew the slide, they must have tried to open an armed door from the inside. It wouldn't be the first time that's happened. Since RDU is not a regular stop for WestJet, we may have a case of a person who is familiar with another operator's SOPs assuming the same on an unfamiliar carrier's equipment. The question remains, why was the door armed when parked on the ground?

Could be but in my experience there is almost always a mitigating factor - typically a non-standard event - that leads to that occurring. In this case they had a medical emergency in progress.

moeman, I did some research and it seems that the 700s and 800s have an automatic disarming if the door is opened from the outside while armed.

28 minutes ago, moeman said:

Just trained on the Max and they said it does not. May be different on those versions.

I knew I should be copied that reference, now I can not find it.  So I guess it is time to leave it up to a WestJet crew member to comment.

I don't see how it would be possible for the door to be disarmed from the outside since it's just a bar held down by clamps, but who knows? Maybe there's a  mechanism that allows the slide pack to fall out if armed but not inflate.

Only in the UK?  I would bet not!

Drunk air passenger arrests up 50%

• 6 hours ago

Arrests of passengers suspected of being drunk at UK airports and on flights have risen by 50% in a year, a BBC Panorama investigation suggests.

A total of 387 people were arrested between February 2016 and February 2017 - up from 255 the previous year.

Meanwhile, more than half of cabin crew who responded to a survey said they had witnessed disruptive drunken passenger behaviour at UK airports.

The Home Office is "considering" calls for tougher rules on alcohol.

The arrest figures obtained by Panorama came from 18 out of the 20 police forces with a major airport in their area.

Trade body Airlines UK said it should be made illegal for people to drink their own alcohol on board a plane.

'Barmaids in the sky'

A total of 19,000 of the Unite union's cabin crew members were surveyed and 4,000 responded, with one in five saying they had suffered physical abuse.

A former cabin crew manager with Virgin, Ally Murphy, quit her job last October after 14 years and told Panorama: "People just see us as barmaids in the sky.

"They would touch your breasts, or they'd touch your bum or your legs. I've had hands going up my skirt before."

In July 2016 the aviation industry introduced a voluntary code of conduct on disruptive passengers, which most of the big airlines and airports signed up to.

The code's advice included asking retailers to warn passengers not to consume duty-free purchases on the plane, while staff were also asked not to sell alcohol to passengers who appeared drunk.

Panorama found more than a quarter of cabin crew surveyed were unaware of the code of practice and, of those who had heard of it, only 23% thought it was working.

One anonymous crew member told Panorama: "The code of conduct isn't working… we're seeing these incidents on a daily, a weekly, a monthly basis. It's the alcohol mainly in the duty free that is the significant problem."

Alcohol in the air

• Entering an aircraft when drunk or being drunk on an aircraft is a criminal offence, with a maximum sentence of two years' imprisonment
  • Licensing laws which prevent the sale of alcohol outside permitted hours do not apply to airside sales of alcohol at UK international airports. Bars can remain open to serve passengers on the earliest and latest flights - from 04:00 in some cases
  • About 270m passengers passed through UK airports last year* and travellers spend an estimated £300m on alcohol at UK airports each year - around a fifth of total retail sales of £1.5bn**
  • The Civil Aviation Authority reported a 600% increase in disruptive passenger incidents in the UK between 2012 and 2016 with "most involving alcohol". They say the increase is partly down to improved reporting of incidents

Sources: Airlines UK* and UK Travel Retail Forum**

Manchester Airport is one of the signatories but when Panorama's undercover reporter asked at World Duty Free whether she could open alcohol bought at a duty free shop to consume on the plane, she was told "officially probably not, unofficially I think you'll get away with it". Another shop in the airport did give the right advice.

World Duty Free said it was committed to dealing with the issue and that it displays "clear advisory notices at till points, on till receipts and on carrier bags that remind customers that alcohol purchases cannot be opened until their final destination is reached".

Airlines UK, which represents carriers such as Virgin, British Airways and EasyJet, wants the government to amend the law to make consumption of a passenger's own alcohol on board an aircraft a criminal offence.

'There for one reason'

Airlines can limit the amount of alcohol sold to passengers on board flights.

Low-cost airline Jet2 has already banned alcohol sales on flights before 08:00 and managing director Phil Ward agreed further action was needed.

"I think they [airports] could do more. I think the retailers could do more as well.

"Two litre steins of beer in bars, mixes and miniatures in duty free shops, which can only be there for one reason - you know, they're items that are not sold on the high street.

"We can't allow it not to change."

Your tales of drunken passengers:

• "One passenger was so drunk he had to have a member of crew do up his seat belt. During landing we had passengers standing up, despite repeatedly being told to sit down. I heard the most despicable things, totally racist and sexist and disgusting." Nikki Webber
  • "There was one woman whose language was vile all through the flight with the hen party. The last straw was once the plane had landed, she walked up the aisle and shouted the vilest language in front of my son." Sharon Richards
  • "As the plane is landing... the lads remove their (seatbelts) and start scrapping really badly. I looked around and I saw one lad kick the girl behind me. They kicked me and without thinking about it I heard myself shouting really loudly at them to sit down and put their seatbelts back on." Tania Chambers
  • "One passenger was so drunk by the end of the flight, he was unable to leave the aircraft unaided by the time we arrived. The departure time was before 8am." Paul Shah
  • "I was seated just behind a stag group who had been drinking in the airport and continued to drink duty free clear spirits from water bottles on the flight. The airline staff did not serve any alcohol that flight and moved a family with young children." David Moult

A House of Lords committee report earlier this year called for tougher rules on the sale of alcohol at airports.

Committee chair Baroness McIntosh of Pickering said: "We didn't hear one shred of evidence to show the voluntary code was either working now or had any possible vestige of success in working any time soon."

The Home Office said it was considering the report's recommendations, which include revoking the airports' exemption from the Licensing Act, "and will respond in due course".

Karen Dee, chief executive of the Airport Operators Association, said: "I don't accept that the airports don't sell alcohol responsibly. The sale of alcohol per se is not a problem. It's the misuse of it and drinking to excess and then behaving badly."

She said they were working with retailers and staff to make sure they understand the rules.

On 8/9/2017 at 6:07 PM, Malcolm said:

moeman, I did some research and it seems that the 700s and 800s have an automatic disarming if the door is opened from the outside while armed.

Nope. If the door is armed and it's opened from either inside or outside the big silver tongue appears.

• 2 weeks later...

So getting spit on is only worth $500.00.   Sad.

Drunk airline passenger sentenced to 12 months supervision

• 8 hours ago
  •  

Drunken behaviour on a flight from Auckland to Christchurch landed a 32-year-old woman in court. 

Kiri Marsh was "highly intoxicated" on a flight from Auckland to Christchurch on May 24, and spat in the face of a flight attendant.

The court heard that Marsh became abusive and intimidating to passengers on the flight, and told the flight attendant, "I'm going to smash your face".

When Marsh spat at the flight attendant, passengers intervened and kept Marsh away from the flight attendant.

Marsh pleaded guilty to common assault in Christchurch District Court on Monday.

She was convicted and sentenced to intensive supervision for 12 months. She was also ordered to pay emotional harm reparation of $500 to the victim.

• 2 weeks later...

And the beat goes on....

Police called after married couple's furious mid-flight row 'terrifies' British Airways passengers
The Evening Standard

A married couple’s blazing row on board a British Airways flight to Heathrow forced cabin crew to call police for help.

Passengers were reportedly left “terrified” after the couple, believed to be British and in their 30s, both flew into a rage on board the flight from Los Angeles on Tuesday.

They were drunk and shouting at each other, as well as cabin crew and other passengers, the Sun reported.

Police said they were called to meet the plane upon its arrival at Terminal Five just after 10am.

A source from the airline reportedly told The Sun: “The couple were returning from holiday and were tanked up. They began screaming at each other and things very quickly got out of hand. It was a blazing row.

“It was terrifying for all other passengers and crew to endure this obscene behaviour. They were very sheepish on arrival in the UK.”

A British Airways spokesperson told the Standard: “The welfare of our customers and crew is always our priority. 

“Police were called to meet the aircraft following a dispute between two customers.”

A Met Police spokesperson confirmed that officers spoke to the couple following a report of a “disturbance during a flight”.

They added that no arrests were made.

1 minute ago, J.O. said:

It definitely doesn't help, but good luck getting the airport bars to stop serving them.

You are right there, as long as airports allow access to bars after security, the problem will never go away, mind you it only seems recently that this was a problem, are we seeing a social change or just better reporting?

18 hours ago, Malcolm said:

You are right there, as long as airports allow access to bars after security, the problem will never go away, mind you it only seems recently that this was a problem, are we seeing a social change or just better reporting?

No we are stuffing more people in to tighter seats with less room.  This make for increased stress.  Too many mice in the cage ALWAYS results in an uprising of some sort.

4 hours ago, boestar said:

No we are stuffing more people in to tighter seats with less room.  This make for increased stress.  Too many mice in the cage ALWAYS results in an uprising of some sort.

So we are seeing Overcrowded, Drunk, mice / rats.......  :D

Examples of such behaviour aren't confined (pun intended) to aircraft with tight seating. There are plenty of examples of ass hat behaviour from the big seats, not to mention in retail stores, restaurants and educational facilities to name but a few. 

• 2 weeks later...

Accident: Westjet Encore DH8D at Calgary on Sep 18th 2017, turbulence injures both flight attendants

By Simon Hradecky, created Thursday, Sep 28th 2017 19:55Z, last updated Thursday, Sep 28th 2017 19:59Z

A Westjet Encore de Havilland Dash 8-400, registration C-FQWE performing flight WS-3304 from Nanaimo,BC to Calgary,AB (Canada) with 76 passengers and 4 crew, was descending through 15,000 feet towards Calgary about 38nm southwest of Calgary when the aircraft encountered severe turbulence causing the autopilot to disconnect. The captain, so far pilot monitoring, took control of the aircraft and returned the aircraft to stable flight, then returned the controls to the first officer. A short time later the lead flight attendant contacted the flight deck via the emergency call and reported both flight attendants were injured, the #2 flight attendants had received a serious injury and was unable to continue duties. The flight crew requested medical services to meet the aircraft on arrival. The lead flight attendant prepared the cabin for landing and briefed passengers for the emergency operation of the doors. The aircraft landed without further incident and taxied to the gate, where ambulances and medics awaited the aircraft.

The Canadian TSB reported there were no injuries to the passengers and no damage to the aircraft. The occurrence was rated an accident, no investigation was opened.

http://flightaware.com/live/flight/WEN3304/history/20170915/1300Z/CYCD/CYYC

Metars:
CYYC 181700Z 19007KT 15SM FEW050 FEW100 BKN170 BKN220 14/00 A2954 RMK SC1AC2AC3CI2 SC TR HZ SLP012 DENSITY ALT 4800FT=
CYYC 181600Z 16005KT 10SM FEW045 FEW100 BKN180 BKN220 11/01 A2954 RMK SC1AC2AC3CI2 SC TR HZ SLP020 DENSITY ALT 4400FT=
CYYC 181500Z 24002KT 20SM FEW040 BKN180 BKN220 11/M00 A2954 RMK SC1AC5CI2 SC TR SLP015 DENSITY ALT 4500FT=
CYYC 181400Z 21004KT 15SM FEW045 SCT150 BKN210 09/00 A2955 RMK SC1AC2CI4 SLP018 DENSITY ALT 4200FT=
CYYC 181300Z 00000KT 10SM BKN180 OVC230 09/M00 A2956 RMK AC6CI2 SLP019 DENSITY ALT 4200FT=
CYYC 181200Z 22005KT 15SM FEW110 FEW180 BKN250 09/M00 A2956 RMK AC1AC1CI6 AC TR AC TR SLP017 DENSITY ALT 4200FT=
CYYC 181100Z 25004KT 220V290 15SM BKN110 11/M01 A2957 RMK AC6 SLP015 DENSITY ALT 4500FT=

http://avherald.com/h?article=4aeff1ac&opt=0

Archived