Just another day in the life of a FA

43 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

"He was 23, flying on a dependent pass, which an airline spokesman told the Seattle Times are sometimes issued to relatives of Delta employees."

Wouldn't you love to be the employee responsible for the pass.

You mean the employee with the former pass privileges. :(

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, DEFCON said:

"He was 23, flying on a dependent pass, which an airline spokesman told the Seattle Times are sometimes issued to relatives of Delta employees."

Wouldn't you love to be the employee responsible for the pass.

One report has that employee being his Mother.....  

• 4 weeks later...

'Unruly passenger' arrested after Air Canada flight returns to Toronto

An Air Canada passenger jet lands on Jan. 21, 2013. (Andrew Vaughan / THE CANADIAN PRESS)

The Canadian Press
Published Thursday, August 3, 2017 2:45AM EDT

TORONTO - An Air Canada flight was flown back to Toronto's Pearson International Airport on Wednesday night due to an "unruly passenger."

Peel Regional Police say a flight attendant was assaulted during an incident on board the aircraft and suffered minor injuries.

The flight was bound for Budapest, Hungary and a police spokesman says he believes the plane was as far east as Nova Scotia when the pilot turned around and flew back to Toronto.

The unidentified passenger was arrested once back at Pearson and police say he is expected to appear in court on Thursday to face an assault charge.

There was no immediate information about the man's age or nationality.

Subdue, then restrain and carry on, idiots should never be allowed to disrupt the travel plans of so many others, never mind the 'all inclusive' costs incurred by the carrier.

4 hours ago, DEFCON said:

Subdue, then restrain and carry on, idiots should never be allowed to disrupt the travel plans of so many others, never mind the 'all inclusive' costs incurred by the carrier.

Was thinking the same.

Wouldn't landing at an AC base (YHZ or YYT weather permitting) better with an injured crew member and out of control pax. Get medical assistance. RCMP. New flight plan and fuel. Delayed but still safe and the rest of the well mannered revenue pax continue on their trip. 

Who knows why the flight didn't land at YHZ, which in the absence of detail sounds like the more efficient route, but perhaps wasn't?

The definition of 'assault' is fairly broad; was the FA physically injured, or just ruffed up a bit?

56 minutes ago, DEFCON said:

Who knows why the flight didn't land at YHZ, which in the absence of detail sounds like the more efficient route, but perhaps wasn't?

The definition of 'assault' is fairly broad; was the FA physically injured, or just ruffed up a bit?

It doesn't matter, assault is assault, is assault.  

3 hours ago, blues deville said:

Was thinking the same.

Wouldn't landing at an AC base (YHZ or YYT weather permitting) better with an injured crew member and out of control pax. Get medical assistance. RCMP. New flight plan and fuel. Delayed but still safe and the rest of the well mannered revenue pax continue on their trip. 

This route is a two man crew which pushes maximum duty day. If they had landed in YHZ, the plug would be pulled and these passengers plus the return load would be delayed, probably by 10-12 hours. By returning to YYZ, a new crew could be in place on arrival with a quick turn resulting in a 5 or 6 hour delay... no hotels, no meal vouchers and less inconvenience for the passengers... better for everyone.

Nobody's going to head out into the Atlantic with an injured flight attendant and a disruptive passenger. 

12 minutes ago, gator said:

Nobody's going to head out into the Atlantic with an injured flight attendant and a disruptive passenger. 

Long sector for two pilots and I certainly wasn't suggesting continuing this flight. Not sure why your comment included my post. 

1 minute ago, blues deville said:

Long sector for two pilots and I certainly wasn't suggesting continuing this flight. Not sure why your comment included my post. 

My error. Was combining some of the thoughts in the thread.

Your post questioned why landing in YYT or YHZ wouldn't have been done. I was simply giving a plausible explanation. 

Maybe they should have landed in yhz or yt .... let him figure out a way back to hm after being charged and released!

I hope the judge fines him (jail time would be better) but also bills him for the extra gas, landing fees, crew costs, hourly aircraft costs, Gtaa gate fess and possible costs of misconnects.

There is a price for being an a hole.

13 hours ago, DEFCON said:

does it matter?

I don't understand some of the comments regarding 'assault'; did anyone bother to look up the definition before posting?

UD may disagree, but I don't think we need to get into a sophisticated discussion on the nuances that define summary & indictable offences, you only need to know that a simple push can attract assault charges just as a good smack in the face that does no physical harm may.

If an injury occurs during the assault, whether it's a scratch, or a broken bone, the assault charge may be upgraded because the deed resulted in 'bodily harm'. The penalty for this form of assault can increase substantially.

Something to think about, but when you're mid Pacific and someone misbehaves, you must press on regardless and the crew will have no choice but to deal with the situation no matter how terse it may be. I'd like to think that the carriers first priority and policy should be to get everyone involved to the destination versus allowing one bad actor, usually a drunk,  to pooch everyone's travel plans.

Accordingly and it's only my opinion, but if no one is in need of more than basic first aid, I'd prefer the offending individual be secured in a seat as required for the duration. And yes, I am aware that the offender may be having some sort of legitimate medical event, but far more often than not, the perp is only behaving poorly because of his own bad choices.

Maybe they were overweight for landing in CYHZ, thus returning to CYYZ to burn off fuel to get under their max landing weight. Plus, as was indicated in a previous post, crew available in CYYZ vs CYHZ. 

Cheers. 

Vicinity of Nova Scotia would put this aircraft roughly two hours from Toronto. That's a long time to wait for medical care. 

Item 5 on Richard's list would permit this crew to continue but perhaps their duty days are more restrictive. 

Good list of considerations, Rich.

While extension to 17 hours is legal under CARs, we all know that CARs is not a good example of how to deal with crew fatigue. And the collective agreement would not have allowed it (and shouldn't)

Notwithstanding, a 7pm check-in with a 10 hour segment is already too long. The US airlines can't even fly NYC-LHR without a third pilot and this flight would require 3 pilots even at mainline AC. As you are more than aware, Rich, adding a landing and takeoff would increase overall fatigue significantly.

A mostly day flight to a familiar airport with North American english speaking controllers and good weather after a full 8 hours sleep immediately preceding the flight might possibly allow a 17 hour duty day to be a consideration as a result of an irrop, but I think this crew did the absolutely best thing given the circumstances.

9 minutes ago, gator said:

A mostly day flight to a familiar airport with North American english speaking controllers and good weather after a full 8 hours sleep immediately preceding the flight might possibly allow a 17 hour duty day to be a consideration as a result of an irrop, but I think this crew did the absolutely best thing given the circumstances.

Do you mean JFK, ORD, ATL or how about YYT North American English? :)

Yet another fact of life for a FA, 

Ten injured in turbulence on American Airlines flight

American Airlines jet

An American Airlines passenger jet takes off from Miami International Airport in Miami on June 3, 2016. (AP Photo/Alan Diaz)

The Associated Press
Published Saturday, August 5, 2017 6:27PM EDT

PHILADELPHIA -- American Airlines says 10 people on a flight from Greece to Philadelphia were injured during severe turbulence.

The airline says Flight 759 was heading to the city from Athens with 287 passengers and a dozen crew members Saturday when it briefly encountered severe turbulence shortly before landing. American says the fasten seat belt sign was on at the time.After the flight landed at 3:10 p.m., three passengers and seven crew members were taken to a hospital for evaluation. There was no immediate word on their injuries or whether any would be admitted.

•  

American says it wants to "thank our team members for keeping our passengers safe."

What do you think it costs the carrier to divert one of their whales when a pax decides to act up?

If you add up the associated costs and multiply it by a couple, or more  events a year you'll perhaps appreciate why your employer minimizes, or rejects your next request for a pay raise etc..

WestJet flight delayed 8 hours after emergency slide deployed by mistake

by News Staff

Posted Jul 29, 2017 9:43 pm EDT

WestJet passengers flying from Fort Lauderdale to Toronto on Saturday were delayed eight hours due to a series of mishaps.

A spokeswoman said Flight 1230 left Fort Lauderdale at 11 a.m., but had to divert to Raleigh, N.C., when a passenger went into medical distress.

While at Durham International Airport, a ground crew unintentionally deployed the plane’s emergency slide.

As a result, the plane could not be used, and WestJet had to source a new aircraft and crew from Toronto for the return flight.

The new flight left Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport at 7 p.m.

One of the passengers on the flight said WestJet hadn’t given any explanation for the delay as of 5:45 p.m.

Delia Silverberg said she was only told when the flight would leave and handed a $15 food voucher as compensation.

39 minutes ago, conehead said:

I read somewhere that a F/A neglected to dis-arm the slide after landing.

either that or the ground crew attempted to open the door .... Either way, a subject for some remedial training.

Archived