Sign in to follow this  
blues deville

Smashing a perfectly good guitar

blues deville    381

I have some knowledge of guitars, cases and transporting both. For this one to break as the article states, it could not have been properly secured inside the case. The hardshell guitar case in the photo is a solid unit that would not bend or allow the neck and body to move unless the guitar was lose inside. Also, that part of the neck has the most stress on it due to the basic design of the instrument. AC is being very generous and sympathetic. Oh and always pack away your own gear!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/kitchener-waterloo/air-canada-broken-guitar-kevin-ramessar-1.4190866?utm_source=skies-daily-news-news-from-the-web&utm_campaign=skies-daily-news&utm_medium=email&utm_term=news-news-from-the-web&utm_content=V1

Edited by blues deville

DEFCON    684

It's hard to imagine any damage occurring when a guitar is packed in a case like the one shown. The crack is in what is probably the weakest part of the instrument, which may be an indication the guitar was dropped and impacted head first?

• Like 1

Super 80    153

If this was containerized I can't imagine how it happened, it it wasn't and just fell I have seen it before.

Fido    380

Not air pressure, temperature. This is *exactly* the damage you see when cold temperatures make the strings tighter. "If you must check your instrument, loosen the strings first because otherwise the neck will snap" is common knowledge among violinists; apparently guitarists didn't get the memo.

This is 100% the fault of the passenger.

A comment from a passenger bitch site

Southshore    7

Buddy says this is a $4000 dollar guitar. Seeing as everybody on this forum is an expert on something or anything, who thinks a 4 grand guitar has a finger joint connection at the nut? (look at the photos). Looks like a cheap (relatively) axe with strings under tension in an expensive hard case. AC's fault? Me thinks not.

DEFCON    684

The only pic of the break I can find is the one in the article posted by Blues, which has been reposted in other reports. I'm no expert, but I can't see 'finger joints'? 

J.O.    807

The pics he posted on Twitter included a closeup of the back of the head stock where you can see the finger joint. 

Edited by J.O.

Malcolm    646
2 hours ago, DEFCON said:

The only pic of the break I can find is the one in the article posted by Blues, which has been reposted in other reports. I'm no expert, but I can't see 'finger joints'? 

damaged-guitar-2.jpg

Finger joints show but also if you look closely you can see the distinctive trade marks on the brass

blues deville    381
4 hours ago, Southshore said:

Buddy says this is a $4000 dollar guitar. Seeing as everybody on this forum is an expert on something or anything, who thinks a 4 grand guitar has a finger joint connection at the nut? (look at the photos). Looks like a cheap (relatively) axe with strings under tension in an expensive hard case. AC's fault? Me thinks not.

I think this is called a "Scarf" method of joining the neck to the headstock. Used more on acoustic guitars and it can become a weak spot on the neck. 

Does AC ask to inspect expensive instruments before accepting as baggage or cargo?

DEFCON    684

Thanks Malcolm ... the joints couldn't be any more noticeable.

I've never seen that before; could the guitar have been broken & repaired at an earlier time?

Edited by DEFCON

Malcolm    646
2 minutes ago, blues deville said:

I think this is called a "Scarf" method of joining the neck to the headstock. Used more on acoustic guitars and it can become a weak spot on the neck. 

Does AC ask to inspect expensive instruments before accepting as baggage or cargo?

Probably only if they are declared as such and the excess valuation fee is paid.  here is what they say about packing: 

Musical Instruments

Travelling with a musical instrument? You’ll want to find out how to best package and transport your precious cargo.

Packing Instructions

• When a stringed instrument is transported by air, it may be exposed to dramatic changes in temperature and pressure, which can cause its headstocks to crack or snap off. To prevent possible damage, it’s your responsibility to ensure that the strings are loosened so that the tension is reduced.
  • Musical instruments should always be properly packed in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping such items.
  • Like 1

blues deville    381

I used to take my '73 Gibson Les Paul with me on extended sim assignments. Neither NW or CP checked out my guitar or how it was packed but my travel case (rectangular...not guitar shape) was "ramp" proof. Previously owned by a fellow in a Welsh rock band and he told me the guitar/case had toured all over Europe without any issues.  

Edited by blues deville

blues deville    381
29 minutes ago, Malcolm said:

Probably only if they are declared as such and the excess valuation fee is paid.  here is what they say about packing: 

Musical Instruments

Travelling with a musical instrument? You’ll want to find out how to best package and transport your precious cargo.

Packing Instructions

• When a stringed instrument is transported by air, it may be exposed to dramatic changes in temperature and pressure, which can cause its headstocks to crack or snap off. To prevent possible damage, it’s your responsibility to ensure that the strings are loosened so that the tension is reduced.
  • Musical instruments should always be properly packed in a rigid and/or hard shell container specifically designed for shipping such items.

Seems to be pretty clear instructions. As I previously mentioned I think AC is being generous. Perhaps it helps that he is a working NYC Broadway musician and not some poor student. 

DEFCON    684

Thanks Blues, I must have hit the 'send' button seconds after you and left the site without looking. Both you and Malcolm provided good info in regard to string tension and hold temperatures.

anonymous    34

If you're a professional musician and your guitar travels by air then you need an ATA spec guitar case....manufacturer's hard shell cases are not designed for cargo bays... 

caseclosed.jpg

Edited by anonymous
  • Like 1