CATSA to improve security lines..?

conehead

No. T3 has it. Four or more people can load up their bins but there is still only one set of rollers. So it's like merging onto a highway with your bin. Waiting for a break. Then if you have more than one bin they can be separated adding more wait time at the other end.

Used it in Toronto T1.  The bins are bigger and there's an automatic feed of the bins for 3 people abreast but like BD said, if the guy at the front is slow filling his bin the guys behind (beside) are held up going through because their bins are blocked.   After the scanner you have to take your bin with your stuff in it and walk away to tables set aside in the area to repack and redress.  I can't see how this improves anything really.  What do I know?

I've used it in YYC.

It's horrible. What a waste.

That could partly be YYC CATSA who are also horrible... 

Doesn't speed anything up though IMO.

Just a wasted acquisition for the sake of spending more money and raising fees on travelers. 

57 minutes ago, j.k. said:

I've used it in YYC.

It's horrible. What a waste.

That could partly be YYC CATSA who are also horrible... 

Doesn't speed anything up though IMO.

Just a wasted acquisition for the sake of spending more money and raising fees on travelers. 

Strange, never as a paying passenger have I had any problems with CATSA at YYC.

I've had issues with them as a crew member. I guess YYC airport authority shares some of the blame...They seem to have their own rules sometimes.

No NPS either for crew going to US or International gates so they leave you in the regular line up. Then your bag gets autsorted to the side for additional searching and you are forced to wait while they deal with everyone else before you can get your bag and go. 

At least in the states if there isn't a dedicated crew line you are right to the front and through... 

Hmm, if you report for work ontime then why should you NEED TO GO to the front of the line? :D Re YYC as a white hatter I had access to a dedicated (retinal scan)  access (just workers, no passengers) though I did most often have to pass my hat etc through the xray scanner,   screening,is this no longer available? 

1 hour ago, Malcolm said:

Hmm, if you report for work ontime then why should you NEED TO GO to the front of the line? :D Re YYC as a white hatter I had access to a dedicated (retinal scan)  access (just workers, no passengers) though I did most often have to pass my hat etc through the xray scanner,   screening,is this no longer available? 

Malcolm, many crew duty days are pushing the maximum as it is. No one should have to add extra time to their day to compensate for inadequate employee security processing, especially at busy airports like YYC.

1 hour ago, J.O. said:

Malcolm, many crew duty days are pushing the maximum as it is. No one should have to add extra time to their day to compensate for inadequate employee security processing, especially at busy airports like YYC.

Seems to go with the territory.  .....

16 hours ago, conehead said:

Question for you frequent fliers out there; have you witnessed or experienced this system in Montreal or Calgary? Does it seem to reduce wait times?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toronto/airport-security-toronto-pearson-catsa-1.4169113

Calgary has, by far, the slowest screening checkpoint in all of Canada. It's embarrassing. 

On 6/22/2017 at 0:53 AM, CanadaEH said:

Calgary has, by far, the slowest screening checkpoint in all of Canada. It's embarrassing. 

What I'm puzzled by is the varying rules.  In Calgary, bins seemingly have to be metered on to belt, can't be touching, not too close.  Other airports, doesn't matter.  At some airports, laptop can be in bin with other objects, as long as not covered by anything else.  Calgary, laptop has to be in bin, centred perfectly, screen side up, just so (and they'll still feel the need to touch, to rearrange). 

On 2017-6-21 at 9:07 PM, Malcolm said:

When you report to the airport on time, you have about an hour to be ready for pushback... standing in the security line for half that time isn't appropriate.

Actually, the report time is usually for arrival at your gate. Therefore, you need to arrive at the airport about 30 minutes prior to deal with security. Thus you will be giving 30 minutes prior to official on-duty time. This is the reality. If TC doesn't agree, then they need to mandate when on-duty starts, be it arrival at airport at start of pairing, meeting in lobby at hotel. However, the on-duty starts at gate arrival, therefore giving 30 minutes free.

A fact. 

The security farce is an abuse against flight crew.

In the modern world, pilots should be seen as a valuable security resource, not a suspect.

In my mind, pilot unions are mostly to blame for the current trend; generations of weak leadership from our representative organizations has ensured the continuation and expansion of evermore intrusive & disrespectful handling at the hand of entry level labourers.

I go to the front of every public line when in uniform. It's the norm all over the rest of the world if there isn't a crew line. Eff it. Whenever I feel a slight tinge of guilt, I am promptly butted in front of by a retail worker throwing their purse on the belt in front of me! Ha. Whatever, I didn't make the system. I don't feel like it presents a great image to the public to be constantly butting in front of our passengers, but the airline has to run and we need to be there to run it. Doesn't feel great though, I will fully admit that.

9 hours ago, Boney said:

Actually, the report time is usually for arrival at your gate. Therefore, you need to arrive at the airport about 30 minutes prior to deal with security. Thus you will be giving 30 minutes prior to official on-duty time. This is the reality. If TC doesn't agree, then they need to mandate when on-duty starts, be it arrival at airport at start of pairing, meeting in lobby at hotel. However, the on-duty starts at gate arrival, therefore giving 30 minutes free.

A fact. 

You clearly don't know what you're talking about.

I'm flight crew. I know because I live it. To get to the gate at the required time, one need to arrive at the airport parking lot before check in time or leave the hotel prior as well. 

Cheers. 

6 hours ago, Boney said:

I'm flight crew. I know because I live it. To get to the gate at the required time, one need to arrive at the airport parking lot before check in time or leave the hotel prior as well. 

Cheers. 

We don't report to the gate in my job, we report to flight planning at the specified time at home base or get picked up at the time determined by the company to get to the airport by the specified time, and that is when duty starts (1:15 prior to scheduled pushback). 

We have already this minimum amount of time to review a flight plan and prepare an aircraft for a flight and be within Transport or contractual duty day limits and it isn't appropriate to spend half of it in line for screening...

Since you are crew, you must know that pretty much every airport in the world puts you ahead, or has a dedicated crew line. Not Calgary on US or International departures though.

They have a brand new terminal that they seem to have screwed up in most ways... I heard a shopping mall design company did the plan.

Most airports in Canada allow any RAIC holder to use the nexus line.  I use this feature all the time as I have a Canada wide RAIC.  Sure makes security clearance faster.  For domestic there is also a special line.  I am not sure of YYC but definitely YYZ and YHZ for sure as I use them all the time.

Well Blues-that could have been me!

Could not drop off bag as kiosk would not print out info.

Over to baggage cx-in and line up.

4 Kgs over. How to figure out 4Kgs and where do we put it?

Forget it - how much? ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS!

Out comes the wallet. Oh, your paying cash, go over to that

other line as I can't accept cash. Out comes the VISA. I don't

know if there is tax on checked bags, however, if there is I will

have dropped close to $200.00 on 2 bags. Great start to the flight.   

8 minutes ago, QFE said:

Well Blues-that could have been me!

Could not drop off bag as kiosk would not print out info.

Over to baggage cx-in and line up.

4 Kgs over. How to figure out 4Kgs and where do we put it?

Forget it - how much? ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS!

Out comes the wallet. Oh, your paying cash, go over to that

other line as I can't accept cash. Out comes the VISA. I don't

know if there is tax on checked bags, however, if there is I will

have dropped close to $200.00 on 2 bags. Great start to the flight.   

Cheap solution that I use before going to the Airport.

Samsonite® Manual Luggage Scale

Archived