Is there a Maui equivalent of the Ala Moana area?

Super 80

With or without the belligerent panhandlers and 401 style traffic on two lane roads?

Or more seriously, is there an area very much like the Ala Moana Center area with hotels with a view and shopping very nearby a family friendly beach?

My family is contemplating going back to Hawaii at the end of January, but we have only ever been to Oahu (which suits me fine) but other factions want to try another island... as long as it is just like our favorite part of Oahu.

4 minutes ago, Tango Niner said:

Short answer, no. Nothing with the size, variety and "mainland feel" of Ala Moana Shopping Centre.

Agreed. OGG is heading down the path of overdevelopment but nothing close to a Waikiki/ Ala Moana experience which I personally try to avoid. In the event you are considering other islands LIH is even less developed with Costco/Walmart/Kmart providing you a shopping experience. Some other boutique shops but not what you would be looking for if Ala Moana is your benchmark.

Thanks for confirming my suspicions,

Honestly when it comes to traveling with my family in it's entirety any significant deviation from Disneyland is potentially fraught with peril, a five-star Caribbean resort would be outside some of their comfort zones, even Orlando was outside of some of their comfort zones,

And we're doing the exact same trip all over again... only difference is we're coming back on United via LAX because nobody wants to spend the night at YVR, WS had a noon departure to YYC last time.

Yet theoretically the whole entourage is going to Italy next summer, should be interesting.

4 hours ago, Super 80 said:

And we're doing the exact same trip all over again... only difference is we're coming back on United via LAX because nobody wants to spend the night at YVR, WS had a noon departure to YYC last time.

Yet theoretically the whole entourage is going to Italy next summer, should be interesting.

if you are flying OGG-YYC there should be no need to overnight in YVR. depending on the day you should be able to fly direct on a redeye or at least a quick cnx in YVR. without knowing your travel status. 9 out of 10 times you will find a cheaper fare on united over WS. claims of being the lowfare leader are not always the case. I have had occasions where economy fare to HNL on united  is cheaper than the 50% off fare on WS.

No we're departing HNL. There were no great alternatives on either WestJet or Air Canada/Rouge. HNL-OGG-YYC on Hawaiian and Rouge was theoretically possible but incomprehensibly more expensive than any other alternative by about $800 a head (and of course still Rouge). HNL-YVR-YYC without the overnight at YVR was too late a departure to get home at a reasonable time the following day. Alaska was a slightly better alternative getting everyone home a little earlier but there are Aeroplan collectors among us.

1 hour ago, Specs said:

Glad I'm not the only one who feels like an overworked travel agent every time we plan a trip. 

I think it is one of the perks we all get working in the industry. Carving the actual vacation out of the discussion would you agree that sometimes the best flights are the one when you are traveling alone?

I feel more like a psychiatric nurse bargaining with crazy people than a travel agent.

The immediate family is just fine, add my parents - still fine. Add anyone else, such as my sister (or more specifically her husband) and then we're down the rabbit hole. Of course dinner time is the real drama traveling with these people since my brother, sister and sister's husband all claim to have exotic food allergies that only developed around the same time as Facebook.

9 hours ago, blues deville said:

However, the upside is when all goes well you look like a genius. :) 

When they all get J class there are some smiles alright.

21 hours ago, Outside Looking In said:

........would you agree that sometimes the best flights are the one when you are traveling alone?

6 of one, half a dozen of the other. 

I have to admit there are a lot of times, particularly when I travel to Europe that I wish I could (selectively) make a family holiday of it. I felt kind of guilty when work took me to Universal Studios of all places.

Archived