YYC ATC refusing second approach?

Vsplat

Just getting some anecdotal reports from a crew who had to go around in YYC a couple of days ago, pretty strong Xwinds on the 35 operation, approach destabilised.  When they asked for a second approach, the story goes that YYC replied negative, unless they were declaring min fuel, mayday or pan, they were required to go to their alternate.

Such a directive would be wrong on so many levels, I have to think there is a large piece of the story missing.  Can anyone here, more familiar with YYC ATC shed some light on this?  Urban myth?  Real?  Local policy perhaps?

Thanks

Vs

Vsplat, I've been trying to get hold of an ATC Tower controller I know since I read about this on another forum.  Agreed that if this happened as published, it represents a major unsafe shift in policy towards unstabilized approaches and go around.

Strong surface winds seems to always slow down arrivals. YYZ is a good example. I wonder if YYC/ATC didn't have the time or a place to vector this flight and told them make an issue or it's adios. And you never know if the voice you're talking  to is a trainee. They don't know when it's your first flight either. 

A controller cannot refuse a request for another approach.

On what grounds could that possibly be done ??

If this statement is true, the controller in question needs some remedial training at best.

Perhaps as posted above, there is more to this story, not sure how that would have unfolded though.

After listening to that recording (thanks AIP), all I can say is "wow".  Here we are trying to break the pattern of unstable approaches leading to landings when the crew should go around, and this one controller decides everyone gets one shot.

Nav Can had better sort this out immediately.   And all the better if they make a public statement affirming their policy.  Otherwise, I can just see word spreading that YYC is 'land or else'.

Vs

I wouldn't think there is a policy change here. To me this is likely an inexperienced controller, or one experienced enough to be at the peak of arrogance. 

It sounds like the controller wisely backed off and sent the airplane to arrival after the crew inquired how long before another approach.

Archived