CAT IIIb Video

deicer

4 hours ago, Malcolm said:

Absolute trust in computers.

Actually, there is more to it than that.

Monitoring the automation, verifying the approach path on the ILS, and FMA call outs are all part of conducting a successful auto land. There are potential system faults and threats. That is why the flight crew is an essential component of an auto land.

4 hours ago, rudder said:

Actually, there is more to it than that.

Monitoring the automation, verifying the approach path on the ILS, and FMA call outs are all part of conducting a successful auto land. There are potential system faults and threats. That is why the flight crew is an essential component of an auto land.

No kidding. One has about a second on the Boeing to call "No Flare", "No Idle" or "No Roll-Out" should the automation fail, or revert to two-autopilot downgrade. I've seen autolands go foul while conducting approaches in VMC. Those times though, the ILS was not as protected as it is during true Cat III ops.

I've done about a half dozen of them in anger in various places and most of them went according to the book. The most difficult was at Leeds Bradford (before they discontinued CAT III ops there). I was a fairly new captain on the A320 at the time and Leeds was a challenge at the best of times. The runway sloped down significantly in the touchdown zone and a 15 knot crosswind was SOP, making the auto landing very interesting if Hal wasn't on his best behaviour. Aborted the approach there once when the auto land light came on at about 75 feet. Now that gets your attention!

Archived