Same old song....

Lakelad

Disruptive passenger causes Air Canada flight to make emergency landing in Miami

An Air Canada Rouge flight on its way to Toronto made an emergency landing because of a disruptive passenger on Thursday.

Sat May 27, 2017 - Toronto Star
By Alanna Rizza - Staff Reporter

An Air Canada Rouge flight on its way to Toronto made an emergency landing because of a disruptive passenger on Thursday night.

The flight was on its way to Toronto from Costa Rica when it made an emergency landing just before 11 p.m. A male passenger, who is a Canadian citizen in his early 20s, was removed from the flight by Miami police, according to U.S. customs and boarder protection spokesperson Michael Silva.

Laura Tamblyn Watts said she was sitting in the same row as the passenger and that he was acting “quite disorderly” and his behaviour escalated when the plane took off.

“It was clear to me very early on that there was definitely something going on with him,” she said.

He started making hand gestures, speaking loudly and touching other passengers sitting around him. She said when the flight attendants didn’t ask him for a drink and walked by quickly with the drink cart, the passenger chased after them down the aisle of the plane.

Tamblyn Watts also said he got into verbal altercations with a few other passengers.

“But I didn’t think he was drunk. I didn’t smell any alcohol on him. He looked high . . . . His pupils were dilated and he was looking at his hands and wiggling his fingers.”

Air Canada and Miami police did not respond to the Star’s request for comment. It’s not confirmed if either alcohol or drugs were a factor.

It was about two hours into the flight when it made an emergency landing in Miami. Tamblyn Watts said she saw one FBI agent outside the plane with seven other Miami police officers. She said a police officer boarded the plane, handcuffed the passenger and removed him.

The rest of the passengers remained on the plane, which took off about an hour-and-a-half later.

“I was just surprised (the passenger’s behaviour) wasn’t identified before we went on the plane,” she said. “The whole thing was just pretty dramatic.”

A similar incident on an Air Canada flight occurred two weeks ago when a Toronto city councilor helped subdue a passenger who tried to open the plan’s cabin door mid-flight.

'U.S. customs and boarder protection' - uh, ok.

2 hours ago, Lakelad said:

.The flight was on its way to Toronto from Costa Rica when it made an emergency landing just before 11 p.m. A male passenger, who is a Canadian citizen in his early 20s, was removed from the flight by Miami police, according to U.S. customs and boarder protection spokesperson Michael Silva.

Are we talking about the same incident?

1 hour ago, Super 80 said:

What do you mean?

Just picking a nit - Any big city newspaper should be aware of the difference between 'boarder' and 'border' as well as the convention with respect to capitalization when quoting the name of an organization. Sloppy and inattentive.

21 hours ago, Lakelad said:

Just picking a nit - Any big city newspaper should be aware of the difference between 'boarder' and 'border' as well as the convention with respect to capitalization when quoting the name of an organization. Sloppy and inattentive.

Not nit-picking IMO.  A valid point that I see more and more.  Back to the point made elsewhere about the need to be the "first to get the story out".  Do editors not edit anymore?

Archived