Slo Mo Ejection

deicer

For next phase training, (jet) ,in the RCAF we had to do a simulated ejection on a railed tower. I think the charge was less than 50% of the actual seat charge and it certainly wasn't a 0-0 seat (Rockat Motor).....but it still was an eye opener...or closer, if you will.:lol:

We only  went up about 30-40 feet before we came to a sudden stop..

I had an instructor at Sault College who was retired RCAF.  He was in an accident in his Tutor back in the day (1970's I think) and had to eject.  Certain aspects of the flight had been filmed, including the accident IIRC (mid-air collision).  He told us the story, and showed us the film footage.  It was very emotional for him to tell the story.  The part that I'll never forget was his description of how violent the ejection was, and that it was as if his teeth were in jello afterwards.  I believe they ended up in a lake.  

There must be some sequencing of the timing if both try to go at the same time. The rear seat occupant would have to be out of the way before the front canopy goes to avoid colliding with it, or go after everything in front of him is up up and away, (so to speak).

I was also interested in the difference of the trajectory of the two seats under their rocket power. Looks like the rear seat went up and forward while the forward seat basically went up albeit carrying any forward speed of the aircraft into the trajectory.

The Martin Baker in the old Clunk was supposed to be good on the ground as long as you had more than 90 knots forward speed to add to the profile.

It was not a rocket seat, only an explosive charge and therefore very hard on the spine if you were not aligned properly in the seat. A common injury was compression fractures of the vertebrae if the spinal column was not aligned. The acceleration was around 19G when the cartridges went off.

My AI Nav had the dubious distinction of joining the Caterpillar Club twice, courtesy of Martin Baker from the CF-100. Not sure if anyone has matched that feat.

I might add that neither of the bailouts were from anything I was flying, thank goodness.

There is a sequence and for different "whiz-bangs" the sequence changes. In most cases the rear seat goes first for a couple of reasons...

1. If all systems are working as required, the rear seat goes first so that the rocket motor blast does not "fry" the pilot in the front.....as well with the rear seat going first there is less chance of a "seat" collision with the front seater.( If the front seater went first and then in 0.5 seconds the back seat went , there is a chance of a "occupant" mid air.) As well, there is less likely to be any damage to the GIB's canopy if he goes firsts.

2. Another reason for the pilot being second is that the GIB may have a faulty seat and not be able to rocket out. In this case the pilot can actually fly the aircraft, roll inverted and let the GIB fall out of the aircraft. (I was briefed on this action during an F-4 ride)

As you are aware, the video above shows the ejections from a static aircraft and thus the actual path of each evacuee is not accurate. The airflow around a moving aircraft would have both occupants 'appear' to being blown rearward but in an actual case the aircraft would be flying away from the point of ejections.

Naturally if there is no time to do anything, like discuss the issue and hold a vote, then it is pretty much every man for himself but bear in mind some "whiz-bangs " are configured where no matter who "pulls the handles" the rear seat goes first then the front seat.

As I briefed my students...............If we have to bail out, "You will hear me call " EJECT-EJECT " three times......the first time it will be me and the next two times will be echoes ! ":lol:

I'm not sure if this is true or not  ...story was 'handed down'.......Apparently many decades ago a despondent ground crew member went to Ops and told the Sergeant that 3 CF-100s in the hanger, (this was in St Hubert - I think), had unserviceable ejection seats. When asked how he knew this the airman told the sergeant that he had  sat in 3 different aircraft and pulled the handles and no seats fired...( suicide attempt).

I flew with a pilot who had done after maintenance test flights. He told me that on one test flight  one session was to roll inverted and bunt the aircraft to max allowable negative "G"....that was the next sequence on the card so he asked his GIB to ensure he was strapped in tight  and be aware that there might be a few loose objects on the cockpit floor that could fly up toward his face. He rolled inverted, pushed for Neg "G" heard a bang and the GIB was gone. 

Apparently his seat had not been bolted to the ejection mechanism and he merely rode up the rails, the seat head rest battering ram smashed the canopy and he was gone.....parachuted down OK....

I'm not sure if this is true or not  ...story was 'handed down'.......Apparently many decades ago a despondent ground crew member went to Ops and told the Sergeant that 3 CF-100s in the hanger, (this was in St Hubert - I think), had unserviceable ejection seats. When asked how he knew this the airman told the sergeant that he had  sat in 3 different aircraft and pulled the handles and no seats fired...( suicide attempt).

I believe that is correct, the CF-100 fleet was grounded while investigations were made.

I flew with a pilot who had done after maintenance test flights. He told me that on one test flight  one session was to roll inverted and bunt the aircraft to max allowable negative "G"....that was the next sequence on the card so he asked his GIB to ensure he was strapped in tight  and be aware that there might be a few loose objects on the cockpit floor that could fly up toward his face. He rolled inverted, pushed for Neg "G" heard a bang and the GIB was gone. 

Apparently his seat had not been bolted to the ejection mechanism and he merely rode up the rails, the seat head rest battering ram smashed the canopy and he was gone.....parachuted down OK....

The pilot was Dave Saunders who was maintenance test pilot at Bagotville, the nav who went out involuntarily was Norm Grondin. Dave said that he tried to make the landing one of the gentlest possible as he did not want to depart the aircraft the same way.

Archived