A neat toy if you have $$$$$

Flying cars always remind me of this:

Functions as a hammer - barely, functions as a set of pliers - barely.  The flying car would be a huge PITA as a car; visibility would be terrible, crashworthiness non-existent, fuel economy probably poor.  The list would go on and on.  It would likely be the worst car you had ever driven.  Meanwhile as a plane - same deal!  Heavy, poor performance, etc, etc.  The worst airplane you'd have ever flown.  A 1958 C-172 would fly circles around it and a new Hyundai Accent would outperform it on the road by every conceivable measure and the combination of the two would be 1/10 of the price.

1.0x0.jpeg

Edited by seeker
  • Like 1

This thread reminded me.  You want to see something really scary, watch this video.  It's a small homebuilt hovercraft and the designer provides an option to add a wing.  Just so you know, there is no knowledge about aerodynamics from the designer or the builders, no approved procedures for construction and the wing doesn't even have flight controls.  Yup, a big fat wing being flown around using adverse yaw only.  No license, no certifications of any kind, no instruments, no training, no supervision.

1 hour ago, boestar said:

its "flying" about as much as a mattress poorly attached to the roof of your car on the highway.

Did that. 401 westbound near Pickering Mall. Got airborne from the back of my truck. At least 30' straight up. Then a nice spiral into the shoulder next to the concrete barrier. Not a scratch. Next stop was Can Tire for more bungee cords. 

5 minutes ago, Specs said:

Pick the place

- I'll show up with the flying car

- You bring the Hyundia

Lets see who gets more phone numbers (Girls numbers).:lol:

Funny story;  Way back when I was a brand new commercial pilot working my first flying job I wheeled in to the local MacDonalds one day and was spotted by a young woman I knew from the float base with a friend of hers.  I found out later that the friend thought I was good-looking and wanted to meet me but changed her mind when she saw the old beater I was driving.  My reply to this was that I wouldn't waste my time with any woman who would judge me by the car I drive. 

21 minutes ago, Kip Powick said:

Perhaps it was not the car.....  just the close up visual of you !!!!:):lol:

If you knew what I looked like you'd know that couldn't possibly be the reason......;)

5 hours ago, blues deville said:

Forget about seeker's good looks and his cool car. I'd like to know where a McD's is near a float base? :)

There's a lot more than you might think;  Timmins, Dryden, Fort Frances, Kenora, Yellowknife, Fort MacMurray, Flin Flon, The Pas, Thompson, even Whitehorse has a MacD's.

1 hour ago, seeker said:

There's a lot more than you might think;  Timmins, Dryden, Fort Frances, Kenora, Yellowknife, Fort MacMurray, Flin Flon, The Pas, Thompson, even Whitehorse has a MacD's.

I flew out of three of those places so I guess after my time. The best then was one A&W. Although that owner once bragged to a relative that he had a McD franchise however it never existed. :)

Edited by blues deville

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.